Review / Travelogue: Norwegian Jewel Nov 15-22, 2014 (Trujillo!)

The Mister

OK, here’s my first attempt at a review. Be gentle. ;)

Yes, I now realize that this review will be competing for attention with Mitsugirly's review-in-progress. I doubt I'll end up having the same popularity here that she does, though. :)

A little background:

* My wife and I have two children: DS9 (diagnosed high-functioning autism), and DD4 (diagnosed high-maintenance diva).

* We chose the Jewel because we don’t ever want to deal with an airline flight ever again, and Houston would be an easy morning drive for us.

* We chose the itinerary with Trujillo because we figured we would enjoy a dose of rustic, not-yet-exploited authenticity alongside the more developed Cozumel. We pretty much got what we asked for, all things considered.

* We chose this off-season sailing date in order to avoid the greater number of children sailing when school is out. We homeschool, and being able to do this is definitely one of the perks. Our sailing had a total of around 200 guests under 18. The current (Thanksgiving) sailing has over 800.

A couple of months before we sailed, I got the following fortune in a fortune cookie:

Fortune2014-09-12_zps5de1fbd2.jpg

We all wondered HOW DID THEY KNOW?!? ;)

Edited by The Mister

Day 1

The Drive

We woke up at 5:00am and pulled away at 6:00. In total, it took six hours from the northern suburbs of Dallas to the Port of Houston.

We would have gotten there a bit sooner, but (a) I needed a better pair of walking shoes, so we stopped at the Academy Sports in Conroe on the way down (found some Sketchers with memory foam in the insoles); and (b) we took a slight detour to avoid a known construction-related traffic problem around The Woodlands. We also stopped at the Starbucks in Ennis for my wife’s grande soy peppermint mocha (which used up our budget for specialty restaurants :rolleyes: ), and also stopped for a potty break at Woody’s Smokehouse (and gas station / truck stop) in Centerville. While there, we noticed all of the cool local merchandise they had and thought it would be a great place to stop on the way home to get some thank you gifts for my in-laws, as they were house- and dog-sitting. We also had plans to look around at the various ports, Trujillo in particular, but figured we could use Woody’s as a backup if we didn’t find anything for certain people.

Here are a few pictures of our drive down:

My daughter in the van, "taking a photo" of my wife taking a photo:

Smilebox_663893844_zps396fa8bd.jpg

My daughter, later:

Smilebox_663893848_zps83da19b4.jpg

A glimpse of my son:

Smilebox_663893846_zps553ada0a.jpg

Me:

Smilebox_663893845_zps760d18ce.jpg

The Hwy 8 bridge over Buffalo Bayou:

Smilebox_663893849_zps19e26845.jpg

The drive was mostly uneventful, except that our daughter refused to use the restroom for the entire trip down. The last time she had gone was the previous evening, and I don’t know how, but she managed to hold it (all the time refusing to admit that she needed to go) all the way until we got to our room on the ship. I often tell people she has a bladder of steel. (We have asked, BTW, and her doctor says she’s fine.)

Arrival

We arrived at the parking entrance right at 11:57am. Took about 15 minutes to get parked, however. Someone else pointed this out in another thread, but if you are parking at the Port of Houston, PLEASE purchase your parking permits AHEAD OF TIME. Not only do you get $5 off ($75 for the week vs $80), but those of us who had pre-purchased showed our parking pass and were waved right through. On-site purchase of a parking pass, however, took at least a couple of minutes per vehicle, causing significant delays in the parking process. In addition, there are only two drive-up kiosks through which all vehicles must pass. Hopefully they are able to expand on that in the future.

Here are a few pictures of our approach:

Smilebox_663893854_zps71741cc1.jpg

Smilebox_663893855_zpsea2bae85.jpg

Smilebox_663893856_zpsba73cdc3.jpg

Smilebox_663893857_zpscfd9382a.jpg

Edited by The Mister

Embarkation

Getting through the security line was relatively easy. Check-in, however, was messed up.

For a couple of reasons, I had requested and gotten special needs access for what was supposed to be an expedited check-in line. We originally asked due to my son’s autism, as he has trouble waiting long in dense crowds. Furthermore, one of my feet had been giving me grief, and I was walking with a cane. (Truth be told, standing in place tends to be more painful than walking.)

We were directed toward the special needs queue, which had a bit of a crowd, but didn’t seem too bad. In front of us (and next to us, and behind us) there was a group of about 65 who were all together. Apparently a large family was having their annual reunion and were trying to check in. This should not have been a problem, but it was.

Here is what I have to say about the check-in process:

(1) Apparently, at least on November 15, group bookings and special needs / disabled guests embarked in the same queue. Makes no sense. Later in the week, I met the Jewel’s Group Events Coordinator. She also doubles as the Access Officer. I have no idea if that has anything to do with embarkation, but it *could* explain why the two groups were combined in the queue. Pure speculation, though. I didn’t get a chance to ask. (We met her while we were on the way to the Belize tender so these questions weren’t on our mind.)

(2) After about 15 minutes, those with the family reunion must have been just as frustrated as we were, because the same few people were standing at the desk trying to get checked in. While we were there, at least, they were better at not showing it.

I ended up walking over to an adjacent non-access-related check-in desk (one of the ones for the masses), asked what was taking so long in our queue (they didn’t know) and begged them to let us check in with them. I showed them my cane (my foot was in a lot of pain from standing in one place for so long) and they had pity on me. Apparently others who were assertive enough to ask also got to do the same. The check-in personnel didn’t seem particularly happy to make these exceptions, though. They seemed more concerned with “OMG WE’RE NOT FOLLOWING PROCEDURE WE MIGHT GET IN TROUBLE!!!” than “Let’s treat our guests well for their initial experience”. In my opinion, they should be more proactive and reassign a few of the “standard” check-in personnel to the special access queue in such situations to ease the process for disabled guests (since that’s the whole point). As I looked back when we were done, I think that was *just* starting to dawn on them, as a couple of personnel nearest the access queue started holding up their “NEXT” signs toward the access queue instead of the regular one.

(3) If you bring your U.S. Passport (or state ID?), check-in is simple. Passport is scanned right there at the desk. For our children, however, we brought birth certificates. Those have to be photocopied. That should have been only a momentary inconvenience, except that they must have had only a couple of copy machines, and they were apparently located at the far end of the check-in area (disabled/special needs access at the far left, photocopiers at the far right?), because it took around 10 minutes for our check-in guy to come back. I looked all the way up and down the check-in area. It’s huge, and I didn’t see a single photocopier. My suggestion: Install SEVERAL more photocopiers along the wall behind the endless row of check-in counters. Should be obvious.

(4) Because of our above-mentioned assertiveness, we ended up getting on at about 1:15pm. Later that week, however, we ran into a few guests on the elevator who had also been stuck behind the family reunion. They had shown up about when we did (noon), and were STILL standing in the same spot until around 2:30pm. When we first got past security, the main check-in queue was MASSIVE. It was still MASSIVE when we were finally on our way to the ship. When the guests that we met finally got checked in, the main queue had all but emptied. These guests that we met apparently gave the check-in personnel a mouthful. “We would’ve been onboard earlier if we had been in the main line!”

Hopefully they continue to improve during the season.

Surprise Balcony

I am not good at keeping secrets, particularly from my wife. She has pointed out several times that I am a terrible liar. However, I was somehow able to succeed this time.

For our first cruise last year, we got an OV. For budgetary reasons, we might have just done an interior, but my wife felt that she needed a window for her mild claustrophobia. She was NOT willing to do a balcony, as she feared that our kids (then 8 and 3) would fall to their deaths. (Unfounded, yes, but for budgetary reasons I was happy to keep it as an OV.)

This time, we originally booked a sideways obstructed OV during a Kids Sail Free promo. Many here on CC have pointed out that, when sailing during the off-season, it is not uncommon to be able to upgrade and maintain the KSF as the date nears and cabins remain available. Our TA was able to get that done for us, but for several reasons I wanted to keep it a secret from my wife.

The main reason was because of her fear that our kids would fall overboard. There was no reason to tell her about the upgrade, as, based on the fears that she had previously mentioned, I felt it would only have given her two weeks of unnecessary anxiety until she was able to see and experience it herself, 49”-high railing and all. In fact, I still had some concerns about how she would react once she saw it for the first time.

Because of the delays at embarkation, the rooms were ready when we finally got onboard. We got to the room, opened the door, and the curtains were completely closed. (Good, I can feel the anticipation for another moment.) She took a look around and gave a rather confused look, as she noticed that the room didn’t look like she expected. She then directed me to pull the curtains.

I told the kids, “OK, cover your ears!” Because I thought she might be a bit upset at first. I then revealed, her eyebrows went up, and she said, simply, “Oh! You got us a balcony?”

Turns out she had gotten over her fear, and she was completely happy with the surprise. We spent a lot of time out there, and she told me later she wants a balcony EVERY time we cruise now.

Success! :)

I then immediately called our TA to tell her the good news.

Here are a few pictures of our balcony from throughout the cruise:

The view shortly after the surprise:

Smilebox_663893859_zps9b478590.jpg

DS9 peering out, DD4 "taking pictures" again:

Smilebox_663893862_zps738510cb.jpg

Me, during sailaway, rather smug about my success in keeping the surprise a secret:

Smilebox_663893886_zps9beb5100.jpg

Sea Day #1 - DD4 listening to music:

Smilebox_664915344_zps462c0c81.jpg

I believe this was taken during our departure from Cozumel:

Smilebox_666104405_zpsfa99126a.jpg

Sea Day #2 - a great shot of why I need to diet ... also of the kids:

Smilebox_716323920_zps0d435b85.jpg

Sea Day #3 - DS9:

Smilebox_717680244_zpsee3a7179.jpg

A rare shot of the kids getting along:

Smilebox_717680247_zpsce1909d1.jpg

OK, that's what I have written thus far. Hopefully I will get more written over the holiday (though that will be rather busy...)

Edited by The Mister

(3) If you bring your U.S. Passport (or state ID?), check-in is simple. Passport is scanned right there at the desk. For our children, however, we brought birth certificates. Those have to be photocopied. That should have been only a momentary inconvenience, except that they must have had only a couple of copy machines, and they were apparently located at the far end of the check-in area (disabled/special needs access at the far left, photocopiers at the far right?), because it took around 10 minutes for our check-in guy to come back. I looked all the way up and down the check-in area. It’s huge, and I didn’t see a single photocopier. My suggestion: Install SEVERAL more photocopiers along the wall behind the endless row of check-in counters. Should be obvious.

I meant to write this as well:

Having said that, this is also good information to know in case you're on the fence about getting your kids passports of their own. In this case, it would have been TOTALLY worth it. Ah well. Maybe next time.

I love the family pics. Where's the wife? Is she afraid of the camera like I am?

She's behind the camera, and yes. :)

It looks like I won't be able to add to this review during this holiday weekend. We are busy every day. I will try to pick it back up again on Monday.