dress code

msweezie

And it bothers you lovestocruise, and LMaxwell. It just takes a different "button" to get you. Do you really believe that nothing someone else wears will bother you? Do you want to sit at a table with a fat, old, hairy guy wearing a wife-beater shirt and soccer shorts? I don't. It's disrespectful. So, where do either of you draw the line? An overweight woman in a bikini? A fat hairy guy in speedos? It's their vacation, should it bother you? Bet it would.

Well, I can't control if someone is fat, old, or hairy:D but I see your point. Yes it would bother me if someone came to sit next to me in a wife beater and athletic shorts. I do believe in being neat and tidy, I just reserve formal what are actual commemorations (weddings, milestones, funerals). If it's not something of family importance, or a significant event / milestone in the lives of friends or colleagues, I'm not really celebrating anything and therefore my khaki pants and button up shirt are plenty fine.

My problem lies more with the sanctimony of many (not you to whom I am quoting and responding, just in general) who beat the drum of "get dressed or go to the buffet" line. I don't like it. It's rude and condescending. The cruise line sets the standard and is responsible for who is allowed into the MDR. They can enforce it or not. Everyone has paid for MDR food with waitstaff service. They should not be forced to the buffet or to spend more for specialty dining, unless they wish for either of those options, because they don't participate in a suggested manner of dress.

The ones I really have the problem with though are those who can't tell the difference between formal and midnight run to the gas station. If you don't want to wear a suit, no problemo, but I do appreciate and expect some effort towards clean, tidy and presentable otherwise. Non-participation should not automatically equal the diametric opposite.

And I think shorts should be allowed on casual evenings as an option too.

If the other patrons can afford these "expensive" tickets, then what "class" should they be in?

What the person next to me wears, has zero impact on my enjoyment of any show. Variety is the spice of life, to each his or her own, who am I to judge?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually you are incorrect. We were trying to show an 8 year old little girl, who still believes in Santa Claus and Fairy Tails, what it's like to attend a special evening in "dress up." But when everyone around is dressed as if they are going to the Black Friday event at Walmart, then it certainly diminishes the experience. So, what others wear, does make a difference.

If you don't think "ambiance" is important, then why would expensive restaurants have dress codes? Or put tablecloths on the table, and offer black or white linen napkins to patrons? You could have great food and wonderful service at a bench seat in a shack. But you wouldn't likely pay the higher price. We "dress for success." I am an airline pilot and wear a uniform. Do you think the uniform makes me a better pilot? Of course not. It's part of the "expectation" when you get on a plane. If I wore some of the stuff I've seen in the MDR on Formal Night, people would get off the airplane.

So what people wear around you does matter. Show up for a job interview in beach casual. What do you wear to church? Go to some of the finer restaurants in New York or Chicago that have dress code. Tell them it's "your vacation" and "what I wear doesn't affect anyone around me." Guess what, you'll be sent away or offered a "loaner jacket."

So, yeah, it's about ambiance, experience, respect for others, respect for yourself. Otherwise, why would this be such a recurring theme on CC? Why would so many justify dressing down with "I don't care," "I don't want to pay airline charges," etc.? Why would anyone even ask "will I be noticed?" Because we all know that we are judged by how we look, how we talk, what we say, how we act, etc.

Actually you are incorrect. We were trying to show an 8 year old little girl, who still believes in Santa Claus and Fairy Tails, what it's like to attend a special evening in "dress up." But when everyone around is dressed as if they are going to the Black Friday event at Walmart, then it certainly diminishes the experience. So, what others wear, does make a difference.

If you don't think "ambiance" is important, then why would expensive restaurants have dress codes? Or put tablecloths on the table, and offer black or white linen napkins to patrons? You could have great food and wonderful service at a bench seat in a shack. But you wouldn't likely pay the higher price. We "dress for success." I am an airline pilot and wear a uniform. Do you think the uniform makes me a better pilot? Of course not. It's part of the "expectation" when you get on a plane. If I wore some of the stuff I've seen in the MDR on Formal Night, people would get off the airplane.

So what people wear around you does matter. Show up for a job interview in beach casual. What do you wear to church? Go to some of the finer restaurants in New York or Chicago that have dress code. Tell them it's "your vacation" and "what I wear doesn't affect anyone around me." Guess what, you'll be sent away or offered a "loaner jacket."

So, yeah, it's about ambiance, experience, respect for others, respect for yourself. Otherwise, why would this be such a recurring theme on CC? Why would so many justify dressing down with "I don't care," "I don't want to pay airline charges," etc.? Why would anyone even ask "will I be noticed?" Because we all know that we are judged by how we look, how we talk, what we say, how we act, etc.

Exactly!

If we end up on a cruise together some day, first round is on me!

The ones I really have the problem with though are those who can't tell the difference between formal and midnight run to the gas station. If you don't want to wear a suit, no problemo, but I do appreciate and expect some effort towards clean, tidy and presentable otherwise. Non-participation should not automatically equal the diametric opposite.

And I think shorts should be allowed on casual evenings as an option too.

Personally I always dress in the "suggested" manner, including formal night. I prefer that and think it should be enforced.

The time I "care about what others wear" is when tablemates/persons at close-by tables (and we all know they are close), come to dinner in the MDR after a quick game of basketball on the sports deck. Yes, that happened - some people don't know the difference between clean, tidy, "dress" shorts and athletic gear. The family involved had had a spirited basketball game - we watched and knew they were at the next table to us in the dining room - fun time on the court - however it was not fun when all of them showed up for dinner about an hour later wearing the same clothes - t-shirts were still sweaty and to put it bluntly they smelled.

Suggested dress code is "just a suggestion" but it would be nice if everyone took it seriously. The above scenerio is why I think there should be rules - athletic gear is not casual dress.

Excellent, well-thought post.

I think, however, that the issue for some lies in your last comments, namely "we are judged by how we look". Judged by whom? Strangers who will never be seen again?

I agree that common courtesy demands a neat and well-presented appearance, but for some the issue may lie in who is playing the judge on what is deemed "neat and well-presented".

Edited by CruiseTobey

I think, however, that the issue for some lies in your last comments, namely "we are judged by how we look". Judged by whom? Strangers who will never be seen again?

I agree that common courtesy demands a neat and well-presented appearance, but for some the issue may lie in who is playing the judge on what is deemed "neat and well-presented".

Speaking for myself, the answer is obvious. You're judged all the time by everyone you encounter, whether you wish to be or not. Obviously, some of those who judge are much more important to you than others are. I agree with you about the "common courtesy" part, but that is also argued vociferously here by some.

papaflamingo's post articulated very well the fact that ambiance matters - and how others around you are dressed does make a difference in the ambiance - yet another fact that quite a few here refuse to acknowledge. Claiming that "what others are wearing makes no difference to you at all" would mean by extension that you'd be just as happy having your dinner served by your waiters at a table in a storage room somewhere, as long as the food and service were the same. Obviously a ridiculous assertion when you really stop and analyze it.

To answer your question, as LetsGetWet already said, we are judged constantly by those we encounter. Do you care? Probably. If you are a woman, do you not put on makeup and jewelry? Why if you don't care what others think? As a man, do you shave? Do you trim a beard? Do you get haircuts and comb your hair? Well, not everyone does, but most do. So obviously we take our appearance into account every time we leave our house. Heck, you're sitting in judgement of me right now. If you didn't really judge, why would you even comment on my feelings. You "judge" me as "wrong" because I do feel that your sloppy dress diminishes the event.

So, sure we're judged. Just read the thread on here about D+ pins and those who choose to wear them..."snooty braggards".

Young men or women with lots of tattoos and piercings, "what are they thinking?"

Someone who doesn't shave, cut his hair, or iron his clothes..."looks homeless."

A group of Black teens walking down the street with pants hanging below their rear ends.... "gangbangers."

Judgement...We all do it. It's human nature. At least I have the honesty to recognize that I do it and admit it.

As for "people we'll never see again," don't believe it. I have often encountered people from cruise to cruise. I want to be recognized and remembered, but in a good light. You, you can be remembered anyway you want, it's "your vacation."

To answer your question, as LetsGetWet already said, we are judged constantly by those we encounter. Do you care? Probably. If you are a woman, do you not put on makeup and jewelry? Why if you don't care what others think? As a man, do you shave? Do you trim a beard? Do you get haircuts and comb your hair? Well, not everyone does, but most do. So obviously we take our appearance into account every time we leave our house. Heck, you're sitting in judgement of me right now. If you didn't really judge, why would you even comment on my feelings. You "judge" me as "wrong" because I do feel that your sloppy dress diminishes the event.

So, sure we're judged. Just read the thread on here about D+ pins and those who choose to wear them..."snooty braggards".

Young men or women with lots of tattoos and piercings, "what are they thinking?"

Someone who doesn't shave, cut his hair, or iron his clothes..."looks homeless."

A group of Black teens walking down the street with pants hanging below their rear ends.... "gangbangers."

Judgement...We all do it. It's human nature. At least I have the honesty to recognize that I do it and admit it.

As for "people we'll never see again," don't believe it. I have often encountered people from cruise to cruise. I want to be recognized and remembered, but in a good light. You, you can be remembered anyway you want, it's "your vacation."

Papa,

What did I write that deserves such a harsh reply? LetsGetWet (with whom I've "tangled with" before), presented a very reasonable response. Did you really feel it necessary to come down hard on me, especially when making false assumptions about my stand on the dress code issue? Does it feel good to present yourself as my moral superior? If so, congratulations.

Here are a couple of your gems, with my comments added:

1. Heck, you're sitting in judgement of me right now. If you didn't really judge, why would you even comment on my feelings. You "judge" me as "wrong" because I do feel that your sloppy dress diminishes the event.

In no way did I "judge" anybody. I was simple making the comment that there are those who don't care what others think, as you alluded to in your response. I assure you, however, that I am not one of those people.

2. You, you can be remembered anyway you want, it's "your vacation."

This was a blatant crass and unnecessary comment. When did I group myself with those who feel it is "their vacation" and are thereby given license to wantonly flaunt common courtesy?

I think you may want to reconsider who is playing the judge here friend.

I will say this, and try to get it straight: No one besides the folks running the cruise line have a right to suggest, recommend, or demand anything from a cruiser. If a person does not want to follow what others deem as "societal norms", who are we to judge or even care? Let RCL take care of it, if they feel the need to. The rest of us should just go about our business and enjoy the cruise.

Edited by CruiseTobey

This discussion has been amazing civil for a dress code topic.

Maybe this is why so many cruise lines, including RCI it seems, are going away from the typical MDR experience and moving to a more restaurant like paradigm. That way they can have a venue where dressing up is required, but still provide other places where less formal wear is in style. I kind of like the formal experience. It's something that we never really get on land. I know there are some that wear suits every day and don't want to wear them on vacation or others who don't wear suits ever as a matter of principle.

I really liked the formal MDR experience, but perhaps RCI is right in their Dynamic Dining direction. That way people can really get the experience they want and not miss out on any meals.

Of course, there will likely be some that will try to attend the formal restaurant in less than formal attire, but they will have less of an excuse to do so.

There isn't a good way to segregate the MDR for 2 nights on a cruise since most people are assigned tables. So, the only way to do it is to not have people assigned to tables. FWIW, RCI is very good at the My Time dining experience. I think the early/late seating MDR experience is what we're going to lose in the near future.

Tom

Decided some years ago if I had to pause and ask "Should I wear this?" I shouldn't.

I'd rather err on the side of being overdressed.

That's pretty much the philosophy my wife and I have always articulated - and followed.

"I'd rather be somewhat overdressed rather than underdressed for whatever the occasion is."

Since most ships have 2 main dining rooms, I do not understand why more of them do not make one dining room a "formal" dining area and the other a casual dining area and let you decide which one to go to.

Albeit, I am sure some in the "formal" dining room would still object to others being allowed to dress casually in the other dining room.

Exactly. Takes so little effort to put on nice clothes and show "respect"

Papa,

What did I write that deserves such a harsh reply? LetsGetWet (with whom I've "tangled with" before), presented a very reasonable response. Did you really feel it necessary to come down hard on me, especially when making false assumptions about my stand on the dress code issue? Does it feel good to present yourself as my moral superior? If so, congratulations.

Here are a couple of your gems, with my comments added:

1. Heck, you're sitting in judgement of me right now. If you didn't really judge, why would you even comment on my feelings. You "judge" me as "wrong" because I do feel that your sloppy dress diminishes the event.

In no way did I "judge" anybody. I was simple making the comment that there are those who don't care what others think, as you alluded to in your response. I assure you, however, that I am not one of those people.

2. You, you can be remembered anyway you want, it's "your vacation."

This was a blatant crass and unnecessary comment. When did I group myself with those who feel it is "their vacation" and are thereby given license to wantonly flaunt common courtesy?

I think you may want to reconsider who is playing the judge here friend.

I will say this, and try to get it straight: No one besides the folks running the cruise line have a right to suggest, recommend, or demand anything from a cruiser. If a person does not want to follow what others deem as "societal norms", who are we to judge or even care? Let RCL take care of it, if they feel the need to. The rest of us should just go about our business and enjoy the cruise.

You are absolutely correct. I do apologize. I completely overreacted to your comments. I mean this in all sincerity. I guess I just got tired of all the excuses for not dressing as "suggested." I sort of lashed out at your comment "judged by whom." Just hit me wrong. You are absolutely correct. I apologize completely.

I will add, RCI has a designated dress code. And, actually, it is NOT "suggested" as so many claim. Look it up. It states "Dress Code. But either way, is it fair to the staff to put them in a position to upset a customer? They live off of tips. If they turn you away, will you tip them? Unlikely. IMHO, and this may be one of the reasons I lashed out at you, we should respect the company, respect ourselves, respect those around us, and respect the event. We should at least make a minimal effort to attempt to at least come somewhat close to the suggested dress. At least tuck our shirt into our jeans?

I am not, nor will I ever, accept the "it's my vacation what I do, wear, or say should have no bearing on you." Of course it does. Again, that is why those who don't want to dress in Formal fight so hard to convince others not to dress formally too. When someone asks "How formal is Formal night, the correct answer is "Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)" That is a direct quote from RCI website. We should NEVER answer "wear what you want, no one cares anyway."

Anyway, again, I apologize for jumping on you. Take care.

Edited by papaflamingo

Since most ships have 2 main dining rooms, I do not understand why more of them do not make one dining room a "formal" dining area and the other a casual dining area and let you decide which one to go to.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Albeit, I am sure some in the "formal" dining room would still object to others being allowed to dress casually in the other dining room.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Apart from Quantum and the reconfigured Oasis, which other ships have 2 main dining rooms?

Apart from Quantum and the reconfigured Oasis, which other ships have 2 main dining rooms?

Majesty. Others could be reconfigured as they are multi level.

Similar dining rooms, same menu, similar service; one more upscale in dress. provides options for different preferences and no one has to be upset about others taking away from the ambience or atmosphere.

The only way to do this successfully would be to put everyone on My Time dining since you couldn't really split up tables just for the night. It may turn into a problem if more people want to be casual than fits in half of the dining room, or vice versa with formal. I like the idea, but there are logistical challenges.

The Dynamic Dining idea would probably have a place that's always formal so you would schedule that (reserve) when you want your formal night to happen. I guess it would be restricted to first come first serve like any other reservation, but you'd have, basically, every night to do it.

Another idea would be to have a specialty restaurant be formal (at least some nights) and people that want to dress formally could pay for that restaurant like so many suggest those who want to dress casually do. I guess it would depend if more people want formal or otherwise. The cruises we've been on have had a lot of people dress reasonably formal for those nights so I haven't seen the "short shirt hairy arms" thing some people complain about.

I have seen an occasional person still dressed nicely just not wearing a tie or wearing a tie and no coat or something else nice. In other words, from what I've seen, an overwhelming majority make a decent effort. On our last cruise on a formal we had one person in slacks and a dark T-shirt, but it was a really classy T-shirt with sleeves and no hairy arms.

I know there must be some cruises where a lot of people are really pushing the envelope since a lot of people complain about it, but I just haven't experienced that yet. Yeah, I've seen some people not wearing suits, but they've always looked really presentable and slightly better than a regular night at least. I did see one guy in shorts, but it was a suit with shorts and it was kind of fancy. I've also seen people in kilts and other ethnic formal attire. I think that makes it kind of fun. American formal is really boring :rolleyes:

Tom

Majesty. Others could be reconfigured as they are multi level.

Similar dining rooms, same menu, similar service; one more upscale in dress. provides options for different preferences and no one has to be upset about others taking away from the ambience or atmosphere.

The only way to do this successfully would be to put everyone on My Time dining since you couldn't really split up tables just for the night. It may turn into a problem if more people want to be casual than fits in half of the dining room, or vice versa with formal. I like the idea, but there are logistical challenges.

The Dynamic Dining idea would probably have a place that's always formal so you would schedule that (reserve) when you want your formal night to happen. I guess it would be restricted to first come first serve like any other reservation, but you'd have, basically, every night to do it.

Another idea would be to have a specialty restaurant be formal (at least some nights) and people that want to dress formally could pay for that restaurant like so many suggest those who want to dress casually do. I guess it would depend if more people want formal or otherwise. The cruises we've been on have had a lot of people dress reasonably formal for those nights so I haven't seen the "short shirt hairy arms" thing some people complain about.

I have seen an occasional person still dressed nicely just not wearing a tie or wearing a tie and no coat or something else nice. In other words, from what I've seen, an overwhelming majority make a decent effort. On our last cruise on a formal we had one person in slacks and a dark T-shirt, but it was a really classy T-shirt with sleeves and no hairy arms.

I know there must be some cruises where a lot of people are really pushing the envelope since a lot of people complain about it, but I just haven't experienced that yet. Yeah, I've seen some people not wearing suits, but they've always looked really presentable and slightly better than a regular night at least. I did see one guy in shorts, but it was a suit with shorts and it was kind of fancy. I've also seen people in kilts and other ethnic formal attire. I think that makes it kind of fun. American formal is really boring :rolleyes:

Tom

And on the Explorer one year, I saw a group of New Yorkers in pajama bottoms and t shirts in the MDR on formal night......

Edited by jimandtoni

And on the Explorer one year, I saw a group of New Yorkers in pajama bottoms and t shirts in the MDR on formal night......

Unacceptable anytime.

On Carnival, I saw a family of 4 in camouflage. Also a bit "weird" for a Caribbean Cruise.

On Oasis last year a table of young people in t-shirts and jeans

It would be tough to segregate diners on most ships. As for a "formal restaurant" like on Quantum, people have been talking since the announcement that they shouldn't have to actually dress in formal to eat there. So it really comes down to those of us who are more traditional and want to elevate a night or two, and those who don't.

My feelings on the subject are pretty obvious. Truth be told, I think that Formal Night will likely die away. It's one of the oldest traditions of cruising. It'll be too bad to see it go. Maybe in the Caribbean the dress codes should be changed to "resort casual." Including dress shorts for men. Seems these cruises are much more of the "sun and fun" cruise. Alaska is more "outdoors" emphasized so, in my one cruise there, more jeans. Europe seemed more sophisticated and dressy. So maybe the dress should fit the itinerary.

Unacceptable anytime.

On Carnival, I saw a family of 4 in camouflage. Also a bit "weird" for a Caribbean Cruise.

It would be tough to segregate diners on most ships. As for a "formal restaurant" like on Quantum, people have been talking since the announcement that they shouldn't have to actually dress in formal to eat there. So it really comes down to those of us who are more traditional and want to elevate a night or two, and those who don't.

My feelings on the subject are pretty obvious. Truth be told, I think that Formal Night will likely die away. It's one of the oldest traditions of cruising. It'll be too bad to see it go. Maybe in the Caribbean the dress codes should be changed to "resort casual." Including dress shorts for men. Seems these cruises are much more of the "sun and fun" cruise. Alaska is more "outdoors" emphasized so, in my one cruise there, more jeans. Europe seemed more sophisticated and dressy. So maybe the dress should fit the itinerary.

Once the dress code became just a "suggestion," the "it's your vacation; do whatever you want; you paid for it" attitude became more prevalent as well, with the resulting decline in dress standards on cruise ships. I have seen people show up for breakfast in the MDR in bathrobes. That which is "unacceptable" becomes a relative concept when the dress code is a suggestion.

Edited by jimandtoni

Unacceptable anytime.

Please excuse me quoting everything as I am mobile now, but I follow these forums daily and have not seen anyone say they should be able to eat at the Grande without dressing as requested. I have seen people make strawman arguments about what they suspect people will do but never anything else.

I would agree that Caribbean cruises should be resort casual and formal optional.

The funny coincidence? I am posting from an airport where I just waited 1 hour to check a bag [prepaid]that consists of only formal wear for a weekend function. But at least it's for a milestone occasion worth being dressed for

Edited by LMaxwell