Out of control dog on the Amsterdam

Windsailer

In addition, some people are phobic around animals. I had a neighbor once that would have a panic attack if a dog (or cat) came anywhere near her, especially if it was loose or out-of-control. I'm sure she would never expect to find a poorly trained one on a cruise.

Those who abuse ADA regulations are giving the rest a bad name, IMO, and I suspect there are many.

This has been in the back of my mind. Also people with severe allergies. Would never think that a dog would be all over the ship, sitting on furniture, eating off tables. My son is afraid of dogs as was my mother. My heart goes out to those people who saved for years to afford this cruise and then have their experience affected by this woman and her ill trained dog.

What about the health implications of this dog? I wonder if this will trigger a detailed health inspection of the ship when in San Diego.

The original poster provided more details yesterday.

"Nonce again, the dog is only an issue because of the owner. We have sailed with ADA dogs before, but the dog did not sit in a chair in the Lido, did not poop all over the ship, did not sit on a stool in the Crows nest, did not walk on an extended leash so other guests could trip, was not babysat at the front desk, did not bark in the theater, Queens Lounge, or at people who walked by and lunge at others. The dog is small and cute, but as I have said before, HAL needs to figure out how to handle the situation, when the owner breaks all the rules and upsets many passengers."

Sorry, but this doesn't sound like a service dog. It sounds like it might be a therapy dog and HAL doesn't recognize the difference, or a faked certificate, or both. I'm 35, and disabled, and while i don't bring my dog on cruises (even though he would probably enjoy them and i KNOW he would be well behaved) i would never dream of dressing him up, not keeping him in his approved harness, allowing him on furniture in a public place, or allowing him to disrupt another person). Talk to the person, and unobtrusively get the owner's name, place of residence, and the dog's name. Then, turn them into the ADA. They may be able to investigate. Sounds like this poor dog should be taken away from its "owner" and if it is has not lost too much of its training, placed with a deserving new owner. That is, if it is a REAL, CERTIFIED service dog! Too many people abuse the privilege of having a service dog, and it makes the rest of us look horrible.

So someone clarify...

Is it one chicken per Adult over 21 or one per cabin for free as long as the chicken stays in the room?

Additional chickens have service fee (corkage)....? Where does the new improved sticker (no longer green circle according to POA1) go?

I believe if you wish to bring on more than 1 service chicken, you would have to fill out the Pecking Order form otherwise you will not be allowed to board. You could always try to use the latest "Poultry Runner" in your checked luggage to see if you can get them past security.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :)

I don't know I think allowing poultry on board is a very bad idea . It can lead to a lot of trouble .

You just know there will be guys hanging around the lounges trying to lure women back to their cabins with the line "Wanna see my cock and pullet"

I don't know I think allowing poultry on board is a very bad idea . It can lead to a lot of trouble .

You just know there will be guys hanging around the lounges trying to lure women back to their cabins with the line "Wanna see my cock and pullet"

Bahahaha! You just made my day! Love it 😂

While I am not a lawyer, I believe that HAL has the right to do something about this lady. There is more of a problem than just the dog not behaving. By leaving this woman on board , doing what she is doing is setting a standard for all to follow. I sure with HAL's legal dept. they know something can be done. I wonder if she is a relative of someone at HAL? That would tie their hands!

HAL have you read this. You can do something.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Below is from the ADA gov. site.

Service Animals Must Be Under Control

Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls

A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken. When there is a legitimate reason to ask that a service animal be removed, staff must offer the person with the disability the opportunity to obtain goods or services without the animal’s presence.

Edited by geocruiser

If this situation is still continuing, and it appears there are a number of passengers impacted or upset by it - they should get together as a group and demand to speak to the Captain or Hotel Director, and perhaps threaten to sue for damages. That might make them sit up and take notice.

I too was on the Amsterdam from Seattle to Hong Kong and observed some of the “entitlements” this rude person received/demanded, such as always having a “reserved seat” on excursions, which then gave this person preferential boarding, and the opportunity to hold extended conversations with the tour guide. On that same excursion I observed elderly folks with canes who were less ambulatory and did not complain because they had to negotiate the narrow isles to get to their seats.

I also observed the “litter box” that someone provided for the dog on deck 2 aft. Don’t know who got to clean that up if it was ever used. And here is a subject that no one seems to address; the costs this lady would have had to incur if she had “kenneled” her “pet” while on this 78 day cruise. So at the rate some public establishments charge just to have a pet on their premises, this lady hoodwinked Hal out of $40 X 78 = $3,120!! I think they would be well within their rights to add that amount of money to the “dog lady’s” final bill.

During the excursion that my wife and I were on with this person, we had the misfortune of having her and her husband (without dog) as table mates at our Chinese meal, and had to endure her running commentary about the pros and cons of each dish. I pity the man and the dog that have to live with this faker. :(

Edited by JACKWC

If this situation is still continuing, and it appears there are a number of passengers impacted or upset by it - they should get together as a group and demand to speak to the Captain or Hotel Director, and perhaps threaten to sue for damages. That might make them sit up and take notice.

Maybe a PAX needs to contact a news channel. I sure they would love something like this. I am not one for doing something like this (IF HAL was doing their part). BUT, HAL seems not to be able to control this woman and her dog, so I would go for it.

Edited by geocruiser

Love the jokes everyone, but I have to give the prize, or Golden Egg to babyher.:)

I did say our chickens are better behaved than this service dog, but if they are allowed in the MDR, they will most likely will steal your dinner roll right out of your hand. I know I can train them to use the Poop Deck.:D

Hopefully for the rest of the passengers, this lady is getting off in SAN, which is just another week. HAL should definitely let her know she is not welcome on another cruise if she brings the dog. They should be able to deny her further boarding without any legal issues - putting her off the ship mid-cruise would be another legal can of worms and that is probably why they are waffling on the issue right now. They accepted her and the dog on the cruise and took her money, so are probably stuck with the whole mess right now. Hope the passengers all write HAL in Seattle about this issue - they all paid lots for this cruise and deserve better, health issues with the poop aside. And the crew deserves better - they are not paid to clean up dog poop.

Remember being on a ship with the show dog Indy and what a sweet little thing. Never barked when in public areas and pranced around when being taken outside etc. No one said anything negative about that, so well-behaved dogs are not an issue.

Also remember a few years ago reading a "live" report on a TA where a woman cruising alone was blind and had a guide dog. Again, everyone was positive about the dog being all over the ship and were so happy the woman was able to cruise. But this was a properly trained guide dog. Even read when the outside decks were closed during rough weather, that the crew helped take the dog to the poop spot. In this case, the crew was appreciative of a well-trained dog and a nice owner.

Unfortunate that this lady has made a bad name for assistance animals. Properly trained ones should be almost invisible.

Wonder why Jeff has not commented on this in his blog.

We were also on the ship for 31 days with this 'service dog'. I'm not aware of the poop incidents, and heard of barking concerns third hand, so can't speak to those concerns. We did observe several situations in which it looked like the dog's owner was taking advantage of her 'disability' status

We heard the owner talk about the dog's importance in warning her of blood pressure problems. Since her dog's service role was supposedly to warn her of impending health changes, we thought it curious that she had no problem leaving the dog for 12 or more hours during her shore excursions. The owner was much more mobile than most of the people on the ship we saw with mobility issues. She insisted on getting the front row on buses, even though others with less mobility were respectful of other visitors and sat in other bus seats. She frequently demonstrated a sense of entitlement and pitched a fit when anyone challenged her.

Bottom line... The dog owner in this case demonstrated a sense of entitlement and obviously took advantage of ADA. Other guests observed this behavior and felt frustrated this guest was able to take advantage of HAL and other guests.

As a dog lover, i would love to bring my puppies with me... But there should be limits. There needs to be requirements to certify and document a service animal that people should be required to provide before being allowed on a ship.

I hope you all took photos as evidence, especially of the dog eating at the table. I would be sending it to HAL.

I too was on the Amsterdam from Seattle to Hong Kong and observed some of the “entitlements” this rude person received/demanded, such as always having a “reserved seat” on excursions, which then gave this person preferential boarding, and the opportunity to hold extended conversations with the tour guide. On that same excursion I observed elderly folks with canes who were less ambulatory and did not complain because they had to negotiate the narrow isles to get to their seats.

I also observed the “litter box” that someone provided for the dog on deck 2 aft. Don’t know who got to clean that up if it was ever used. And here is a subject that no one seems to address; the costs this lady would have had to incur if she had “kenneled” her “pet” while on this 78 day cruise. So at the rate some public establishments charge just to have a pet on their premises, this lady hoodwinked Hal out of $40 X 78 = $3,120!! I think they would be well within their rights to add that amount of money to the “dog lady’s” final bill.

During the excursion that my wife and I were on with this person, we had the misfortune of having her and her husband (without dog) as table mates at our Chinese meal, and had to endure her running commentary about the pros and cons of each dish. I pity the man and the dog that have to live with this faker. :(

You were eating Chinese food , but the dog was no where to be found?????

You don't suppose ................*LOL*

Love the jokes everyone, but I have to give the prize, or Golden Egg to babyher.:)

But the Golden Egg is just for starters. Inside The Golden Egg is a certificate to take to the Pinnacle for your Pullet Surprise.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Hopefully for the rest of the passengers, this lady is getting off in SAN, which is just another week. HAL should definitely let her know she is not welcome on another cruise if she brings the dog. They should be able to deny her further boarding without any legal issues - putting her off the ship mid-cruise would be another legal can of worms and that is probably why they are waffling on the issue right now. They accepted her and the dog on the cruise and took her money, so are probably stuck with the whole mess right now. Hope the passengers all write HAL in Seattle about this issue - they all paid lots for this cruise and deserve better, health issues with the poop aside. And the crew deserves better - they are not paid to clean up dog poop.

Remember being on a ship with the show dog Indy and what a sweet little thing. Never barked when in public areas and pranced around when being taken outside etc. No one said anything negative about that, so well-behaved dogs are not an issue.

Also remember a few years ago reading a "live" report on a TA where a woman cruising alone was blind and had a guide dog. Again, everyone was positive about the dog being all over the ship and were so happy the woman was able to cruise. But this was a properly trained guide dog. Even read when the outside decks were closed during rough weather, that the crew helped take the dog to the poop spot. In this case, the crew was appreciative of a well-trained dog and a nice owner.

Unfortunate that this lady has made a bad name for assistance animals. Properly trained ones should be almost invisible.

Wonder why Jeff has not commented on this in his blog.

Jeff seldom posts anything negative on his blog, unless it's about the internet speed.;) He's a man of few words. Would love to see a photo though.:D Bill and Mary Ann would have, but they don't get on until January.

You are bad...........you won two free dinners in the Pinnacle, but please NO chicken!!:D

Oh no no chicken .....I don't want ADA on my back.

I am even afraid to have a steak in that place . I maybe eating a black Angus who can sense when his owner is ovulating . Then I have Planned Parenthood after me.

Oh no no chicken .....I don't want ADA on my back.

I am even afraid to have a steak in that place . I maybe eating a black Angus who can sense when his owner is ovulating . Then I have Planned Parenthood after me.

Have you thought of applying for a job as a comic with Hal?