Port of New Orleans "Best North American Homeport"?

crilski

We have reservations at the Fulton Street parking garage (http://www.neworleansparking.com/). $78 for the cruise.

This is our first ever cruise. We chose the Serenade out of NOLA since the port is within a long days drive from here in Illinois. We are hoping that we enjoy cruising and will want to cruise more. But - if RC WOWs us, then Carnival or NCL will benefit, since Galveston/Tampa/Port Canaveral are too far away, and we couldn't afford air travel *and* the cruise. Hopefully RC will return to NOLA in a few years....

I am not sure how the trip would compare--but, would Baltimore be about the same distance? There are some passengers that drive in from OH and IL to Baltimore.

edit: I looked it up on Mapquest and /Baltimore is a shorter trip. :)

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

I am not sure how the trip would compare--but, would Baltimore be about the same distance? There are some passengers that drive in from OH and IL to Baltimore.

edit: I looked it up on Mapquest and /Baltimore is a shorter trip. :)

I did look up the cruises out of Baltimore on the Grandeur when we researched our cruise. We don't have enough time for the 10 day cruises, and the 7/8 day cruises all had Port Canaveral and Key West as stops. We wanted to visit places other than US ports. If itineraries change in the future, then Baltimore will definitely be on our list.

I did look up the cruises out of Baltimore on the Grandeur when we researched our cruise. We don't have enough time for the 10 day cruises, and the 7/8 day cruises all had Port Canaveral and Key West as stops. We wanted to visit places other than US ports. If itineraries change in the future, then Baltimore will definitely be on our list.

Don't take US ports off your list. My best cruises have been to US ports in Alaska and Hawaii.

It depends on the time of year. In the summer there are 5/6/7/ day cruises to Bermuda. [one of our favorites] and New England/Canada. [has a couple US ports + Canada--but, we loved Bar harbor]

I agree the Bahamas/Port Canaveral cruises are not my favorite. But we really liked Key West. We rented a car from Enterprise and we drove up Rt 1 across all the bridges. It was a great DIY "excursion."

I am a native of New Orleans who is devastated that RCI is leaving our port. My DH and I are Diamond C & A and take at least one cruise/year out of NOLA on whatever they ship dock in my city. We just love the convenience and ease on embarkation day. Usually within 15 minutes we are dropped off at the port, check in and are onboard the ship. Except for Crystal (which we cruise about once/year) they run a very smooth operation out of the Port of New Orleans.

We are sailing on the Jan 3, 2015 cruise and counting down the days.

This was not a Port of New Orleans decision - this was RCI's decision to try other ports. Carnival home bases 2 ships year round and NCL home base's one ship for 6 months/year.

I am not a big fan of Carnival or NCL - they nickel and dime like crazy once onboard and the food is not as good.

PLEASE let RCI know that you want them to come back to NOLA! They need to hear from everyone - not just me!

This was not a Port of New Orleans decision - this was RCI's decision to try other ports.

PLEASE let RCI know that you want them to come back to NOLA! They need to hear from everyone - not just me!

Well, I for one would love them to come back but have no problem doing NCL when I need some NOLA/cruise time!!!:D

Can someone confirm is checking in for the cruise at NOLA then going to the Factory Outlets possible?

I was told yesterday the Outlets were nearby.

The outlet mall at Riverwalk is extremely close (like next door). I don't see any reason you couldn't check in then go there, or at least drop off your suitcases then go to the mall for a while, then come back and check in and board.

I am leaving from N.O. on Feb. 14, 2015 on the SERANADE, hope it is still leaving from there.

George35

We leave from NOLA on Feb 28, so I sure hope it still is :D

I believe the last cruise for the Serenade from NOLA is in April 2015.

You would think that it would be a popular port...and profitable too. It is one of the few ports that we can actually fly to non-stop.

If you're flying out of Kansas City, the following are listed as non-stop flights to Florida, which has plenty of ports! (better ports!:D)

American will have a daily flight to Miami,,,,,

South West has a daily flight to Ft Lauderdale,,,,

South West has 2 daily flights to Orlando(Port Canaveral) daily, and beginning in Dec. Delta will have one daily flight,,,,

South West has one daily flight to Tampa!

Edited by American Bear

One issue for the cruise lines is the 9 hour trip down and up the river with no gambling. I also think that the port has trouble handling large passenger loads. I believe they still have to use a forklift to get containers of bags up and down to deck one because deck one is below the dock level.

Perhaps New Orleans scared off Royal. Not overtly mind you, but with so many cruisers taking the advice to arrive a day early, one night in New Orleans might have spoiled the rest of the trip for many cruisers.;) It's like that old Lays potato chip slogan; "Bet you can't eat just one!":D For me, New Orleans is; "Bet you can't stay just one night!" :p

I may drop them a note. Worst they can do is ignore it, I guess.

We hope they return soon, but first come back to San Diego. :)

Now this might solve the problem. 6 months in NoLa, 6 on the West Coast, and a couple trips thru the Canal in the middle. Everybody happy!! :D

I still think once Anthem, Ovation, and the new Oasis twins join the fleet there are all sorts of possibilities. They can't send them all to China. Or can they?

Perhaps New Orleans scared off Royal. Not overtly mind you, but with so many cruisers taking the advice to arrive a day early, one night in New Orleans might have spoiled the rest of the trip for many cruisers.;) It's like that old Lays potato chip slogan; "Bet you can't eat just one!":D For me, New Orleans is; "Bet you can't stay just one night!" :p

Maybe, New Orleans was a fun place for us to visit before the cruise. Loved the food.:)