My 8 year old son has a peanut allergy

balletmom1

[/font

Hello, I am a first time cruiser. Both myself, husband, 13 year old daughter and 8 year old son will be taking a cruise on Freedom of the Seas in December. I am really worried about my son as he has a peanut allergy. We have gotten in touch with someone in regards to the food, and where to eat on the ship, and who to speak with once we are on the ship, but I am worried as to what kind of facilities they have on the ship to treat an anaphylactic emergency. I have read, in general, that they really aren't set up to handle an emergency situation. The closer the trip is getting, the more nervous I am getting. Is anyone here familiar with the Freedom of the Seas and how they are set up for an emergency?

Thank so much in advance.

All passenger cruise ships have an Infirmary with doctor and nurse(s). How many medical staff depend upon size of ship and number of souls on board.

If you usually carry an epi-pen, you certainly should while traveling. The Infirmary surely has epi-pens but much better to have yours readily available just in case.

Speak with the dining room manager or Maitre d' as he or she may be called on your ship. Speak with your dining steward and the supervisor for your dining section.

When at buffet, verify with staff there what food could possibly have peanuts or cross contamination from other foods containing peanuts. I imagine you do this in one form or another in your everyday life every time your DS leaves the house and eats. No different in a hotel or cruise ship. The final safeguard is your DS and yourselves. When you go to a restaurant, how do you handle it? Do the same on the ship.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise. :)

Also..we were at a restaurant this weekend. The owner and waitress were made aware of my sons allergy. At the end of our dinner, our waitress brought out our desserts and proceeded to serve them to us, and walked away. Before my son ate his ice cream ball, my husband wanted to make sure it was peanut free, so he walked over to the waitress to ask. Well....guess what??? It had peanuts in it!!!! Thank god we asked again!!! Or we would have been in an emergency situation. So.....that is why i ask how the ships are equipped.

I am sorry for yelling...it is completely not the kind of person I am. It seems as though I can't see 2 other responding posts that were originally on here. Not sure why.

My original question was very nice, but the responses were not. Can you take down posts?

Does your son have a passport? Although you can travel on closed-loop cruises outside the U.S. without one, if he should have a medical emergency and need to disembark in another country, he (and the rest of you) would most likely need passports to get home. They won't stop you disembarking for a medical emergency if you don't have passports, but getting passports on an emergency basis in another country is stressful and expensive.

What does your son's doctor say? I would recommend that you have an inhaler, Benadryl, and at least one epi-pen for him. His doctor may have some other recommendations.

It might also be a good idea to visit the ship's infirmary when you board, and introduce yourselves. Ships generally have a good 911 response, but it can't hurt to know where the infirmary is and how to get there. And meeting the medical personnel and seeing the facility may give you some peace of mind.

As others have said it might be a good idea to post in the RCI forum. Many people there will know about FoS and be able to tell you more. You could also check out the roll call for your cruise. It should be somewhere in this list.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261

Good luck! I hope you have a great, and safe, cruise!

Yes...we all have our passports. We are sailing to Coco Cay, Jamaica ect...for 7days, not out of the country.

We are a very careful family...we never leave the house without both my hubby and myself having 2 epi-pens on our person.

My initial question was one of concern about how the ship was equipped for my type of emergency, God forbid we had one, and the epi didn't work.

We will visit the infirmary when we get on the ship...good idea. :)

I only posted on this forum as I was directed here as a 'new cruiser'. I will go on the RC Forum and ask there as well.

Thank you.

Yes...we all have our passports. We are sailing to Coco Cay, Jamaica ect...for 7days, not out of the country.

We are a very careful family...we never leave the house without both my hubby and myself having 2 epi-pens on our person.

My initial question was one of concern about how the ship was equipped for my type of emergency, God forbid we had one, and the epi didn't work.

We will visit the infirmary when we get on the ship...good idea. :)

I only posted on this forum as I was directed here as a 'new cruiser'. I will go on the RC Forum and ask there as well.

Thank you.

Coco Cay is Bahamas and is 'out of the country'. The only 'in country' U.S. ports in the Caribbean are Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I which include St. John, St. Thomas and St. Croix. Jamaica is most assuredly another country. It is not part of U.S. and you would require a passport to fly home from there.

Traveled on Enchantment a few months ago with a girlfriend that has a severe peanut alergy. We sat down in the MDR first thing she did was telling the waiter about her concerns...head waiter came over and HE personally took her order. Next he brought over the menu for the following night and talked her thru it. This happened at every MDR meal. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Figured it would. ...you're a careful Mom....I would suggest extra caution at the buffet they serve outside on deck at some point on the cruise tons of cookies cakes pastries, etc. Side by side with fruit. There were carving stations away from this area. Just thought of something else...how about when you start exploring the ship take a swing down to the infirmary. .so it's not so " scary "

Bon voyage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Yes...we will have to take a stroll to the infirmary.

When my hubby spoke with someone about where to eat, they did say to avoid the buffet. We will make it work as far as that is concerned.

This is our first cruise, so it is a little scary knowing there is no 'hospital' per se, to drive to.

I am also considering bringing a cooler of snacks for my little guy, so he has desserts to eat if need be. Did your friend bring food?

Thank you again.

[/font

Hello, I am a first time cruiser. Both myself, husband, 13 year old daughter and 8 year old son will be taking a cruise on Freedom of the Seas in December. I am really worried about my son as he has a peanut allergy. We have gotten in touch with someone in regards to the food, and where to eat on the ship, and who to speak with once we are on the ship, but I am worried as to what kind of facilities they have on the ship to treat an anaphylactic emergency. I have read, in general, that they really aren't set up to handle an emergency situation. The closer the trip is getting, the more nervous I am getting. Is anyone here familiar with the Freedom of the Seas and how they are set up for an emergency?

Thank so much in advance.

ALL deep water ships have adequate facilities to treat this type of emergency. They have everything they would need, including Epinephrin, O2, and Narcan in case there is too much Epi given. I have anaphylaxis to a number of food allergens and have sailed on five ships on four lines and with normal precautions and communication with the dining room staff I have never had a problem.

Edited by ducklite

Don't be surprised if the infirmary is less than welcoming unless you actually need their services. On any cruise there could be hundreds of people with food allergies, heart problems, diabetes, kidney issues, and any other possible issue, and they have no desire to hear yet another persons concerns when the chances are slim that they will ever need the infirmary's assistance. Is it a good idea to know where it is? Yes. Do you need to go in and introduce yourself? No.

Narcan (naloxone) won't do anything for an epinephrine overdose.

You are right. I need to SPBF. (Stop posting before caffeine. :) ). It is effective in narcotics and depressants which have the opposite effect in the body. There is something which counteracts an OD of stimulants, I can't recall what it is called. At any rate, I am sure they would have it in the infirmary.

You are right. I need to SPBF. (Stop posting before caffeine. :) ). It is effective in narcotics and depressants which have the opposite effect in the body. There is something which counteracts an OD of stimulants, I can't recall what it is called. At any rate, I am sure they would have it in the infirmary.

:) I haven't had caffeine either yet...thanks for the reminder!