Formal Nights to be dropped

stu042

I've never understood that. I certainly know that if you are obnoxious, in someone's business, or rude you can interfere with someone's enjoyment, but what kind of world do people live in where background players MAKE/BREAK their vacation?

When I'm on vacation, everyone else is doing their own thing and I'm cool with that 99% of the time.

Same basic principle as smoking. If people are smoking in places where smoking is allowed... why do I care? If they are smoking where it hampers my enjoyment, sure, but if they smoke in their smoking area what difference does it make? I just don't go there..

I just like to treat formal night more as a formal event, even though formal night has become less and less "special" over the years.

But I see your point and respect your opinion, so lets agree to disagree.

.......doing away with formal nights?........now what am I suppose to do with my black tie and black velvet speedo?......................:eek:

Keep fruit in it? Put the bananas and the apples together? (ObCrossThread)

With Dynamic Dining there won't be those requirements. Some restaurants will require formal attire while some will be more casual. It will be interesting to see how the line handles any type of formal night.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm still not sure why people can't grasp that ANY night can be formal night if they want it to be.

This might shock some folks, but you can dress as formally as you like in the Windjammer or any restaurant on the ship, as well. You can board the ship in a tuxedo or formal ball gown.

<sigh> Not that stupid argument again. Yes, and on land you could dress formally to go get burgers at McDonald's and look completely out of place there too. :rolleyes:

I'm really not sure why some people can't grasp that the cruise line is trying to create a different ambiance & atmosphere those nights. That's why they call it "Formal Night" and why they suggest/request that people dress up more those particular evenings.

I've never understood that. I certainly know that if you are obnoxious, in someone's business, or rude you can interfere with someone's enjoyment, but what kind of world do people live in where background players MAKE/BREAK their vacation?

Wow, you're just full of silly arguments today! That one is called a "red herring" since I don't think I've ever seen anyone here claim that it would or did MAKE/BREAK their vacation.

DW & I have always liked the formal nights. However, if the cruise line elects to do away with them so be it. Will make for easier packing! I tend not to worry about things beyond my control, rather just "roll with it"! Happy cruising everyone. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DW & I have always liked the formal nights. However, if the cruise line elects to do away with them so be it. Will make for easier packing! I tend not to worry about things beyond my control, rather just "roll with it"! Happy cruising everyone. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We didn't bring formal wear on our last cruise. DH was in a full cast from shoulder to elbow. We had booked a suite and ate both formal nights in our cabin.

Which this thread is about non of those ships. And formal is still on all of them. Yeah you go to the grande. And oasis currently still has full formal nights.

Seriously, the OP asked about all ships except the Oasis and Quantum Classes? I think not.

From what I am reading Grande isn't all that grand and the dress code is a bit lax.

And yes, in the future formal nights have been dropped on Quantum and soon will be history on O and A.

Edited by Oville

Seriously, the OP asked about all ships except the Oasis and Quantum Classes? I think not.

From what I am reading Grande isn't all that grand and the dress code is a bit lax.

And yes, in the future formal nights have been dropped on Quantum and soon will be history on O and A.

They're not exactly being dropped. More like changed.

I'm not sure why so many people can't grasp the concept that the other passengers are not there to 'enhance' the MDR experience. They are not 'extras' in some cruise movie being staged for someone else's enjoyment.

Exactly. You are giving me a lot of control over your happiness if me wearing shorts has any affect on your cruise.

This might shock some folks, but you can dress as formally as you like in the Windjammer or any restaurant on the ship, as well. You can board the ship in a tuxedo or formal ball gown.

I like to consider myself a dress code thread veteran, I have had this battle so many times, especially on the Carnival section, and I have never seen this. Thank you for giving me a good laugh!

Bottom line: It is a suggestion, not a rule. Expect it to be ignored by many, including me. If that will detract from your cruise experience, maybe this cruise line is not a match for you.

The OP was talking about ships that do not have Dynamic Dining.

Yes the OP asked about non DD ships.

Grande is a formal venue. Fact.

And again quantum and anthem are Dd ships.

Yes the OP asked about non DD ships.

Grande is a formal venue. Fact.

And again quantum and anthem are Dd ships.

Quantum and Anthem aren't the only DD ships. Fact.

It's coming. Bring on the WAMBAHLANCES! Fact.

Chickens. Fact.

Eggs. Fact.

First. Fact.

Bears. Fact.

Beets. Fact.

Battlestar Galactica. Fact.

Edited by poncho1973

They're not exactly being dropped. More like changed.

........more like "modified"......a good code word used in the mysterious back offices of RCCL.;) MERRY CHRISTMAS BIG G from the snow / rain / ice north. I'm sure that grandkid will be swamped this holiday season. Joe.:)

If nothing else, RCI needs to rethink formal night. If it is nothing more than a night people are requried to dress up an extra level... good riddance.

It can just be about clothes. It has to be a special night in many ways. Something magical. Something people want to dress up to be a part of.

But how?

........more like "modified"......a good code word used in the mysterious back offices of RCCL.;) MERRY CHRISTMAS BIG G from the snow / rain / ice north. I'm sure that grandkid will be swamped this holiday season. Joe.:)

All we got so far is ice and a little bit of snow. Keep the snow out of your boots and have a Merry Christmas too.

It can just be about clothes. It has to be a special night in many ways. Something magical. Something people want to dress up to be a part of.

But how?

.......sounds like you would prefer a "Comicon" type evening with people dressed in costumes ranging from Star Wars troopers to evil characters......I think I'll dress up like Adam Goldstein. I am a gluten for punishment.......:D