Family Cruise Doc Question

lacell

My husband and I, my 3 young kids and my parents are sailing in 2 separate staterooms. Hubby and I and the 2 youngest kids (same last names as we have) will be in one stateroom. My oldest child (age 5) will be in a stateroom with my parents (different last name). We have passports for all adults and children.

1st question: Do we need birth certificates for the kids to show proof of parentage or will the passports suffice?

2nd question: RC policy states that a notarized letter is required to travel with kids not your own. Since we, his parents, will be on the same sailing, will my parents need a notarized letter or will it be okay b/c we are on the same ship?

I have already spoken with RC but just want to double check. I have been burned in the past by trusting customer service reps who don't know their stuff (not RC but in general). Thanks so much to anyone who can help!