explorer dining room embarkation day

chars

Nope...you won't have that option on an RCI ship. The buffet,and perhaps another small venue will be open....but NOT the dining room. We do a late breakfast before boarding the ship, so we don';t have to partake in the "feeding frenzy" at all!

Edited by cb at sea

I am local to Port Canaveral. Try having breakfast at Grill's restaurant at the Port. It's a fabulous easy going local restaurant located right on the water (you can see the cruise ship). The breakfast menu is great (don't eat at the hotel just because it's free). This breakfast will hold you until lunch and maybe early afternoon!

Also, if you need dinner suggestions for the night before, give me a shout...I know all the best local places (and the ones to avoid).

Is there a dining room that is open on the Explorer on embarkation day? We always like to get on the ship early and start our vacation with a nice relaxing dining room lunch.

the DR is only open to set up reservations, check out your table assignment if applicable and to discuss dietary requirements.

it is not open to serve lunch.

I am local to Port Canaveral. Try having breakfast at Grill's restaurant at the Port. It's a fabulous easy going local restaurant located right on the water (you can see the cruise ship). The breakfast menu is great (don't eat at the hotel just because it's free). This breakfast will hold you until lunch and maybe early afternoon!

Also, if you need dinner suggestions for the night before, give me a shout...I know all the best local places (and the ones to avoid).

Although we want to go to Grills to see the ships sail away on Saturday afternoon, I don't know if that is the best place to go for dinner as we have a 3 year old and a 5 year old with us. They are very well behaved (of course i'm a proud grandmother) and their parents tolerate no nonsense in restaurants. Do you have any suggestions for kid friendly restaurants in the area? We are driving down and staying at the Residence Inn.

Thanks for your help!

Cheryl

Grill's is very family friendly (high chairs and boosters) and they have a kids menu. Best place for local seafood. They have recently expanded the restaurant too. So Grill's is still great for b'fast/lunch/dinner.

My other recommendation would be Kelsey's Pizza (next to the Radisson not far from the Residence Inn). Family friendly too. They have the best pizza! The Greek salad for two actually feeds 4 (lots of feta cheese too).

Visit the new "Exploration Tower" if you have time. There is a entrance fee but it has great displays devoted to local stuff...Space Program, surfing, fishing, cruising etc. You can go to the top deck and watch the ships leave. Reminder: the ships don't leave at the time listed on the web sites. They leave after the muster station drills. Sometimes they leave late due to restocking/weather/Homeland Security etc.

Have fun and THANK YOU for choosing Port Canaveral! We love our visitors! (no, I don't work for the cruise lines!)

Just off the 11/29 sailing on the Explorer. Lunch was crazy at the Windjammer. The lines were to the pools to get into the buffet. We headed down to the Promenade deck and had sandwiches from the cafe. Had we known that Johnny Rockets opened at noon that day (didn't know that until we got to our room and saw our Compass for the day), we would have glady paid the surcharge to get away from the craziness. I really wish RCCL would open their dining room on embarkation day. We have had this with other lines and it is so much more relaxing for your first dining experience.

Princess has an open dining room and it is much better. I don't go near the Windjammer, but opt for sandwiches or pizza on the promenade! This year I may go for a late breakfast at Grills and wait for the rush to be over.