Puerto Vallarta & Cabo: What to do?

spazwok

Looking forward to the ports. I am looking to find some place where I can buy a Cuban cigar? Any recommendations?

Be aware that many so-called Cuban Cigars have never been anywhere near Cuba :(. But we do have several places here in Puerto Vallarta that have an excellent reputation for providing the real thing. Probably the best known (they have been around for years) is called the Vallarta Cigar Factory. It actually is a real (tiny) cigar factory where the proprietor (Andres) makes cigars from the best Mexican tobacco. But he also carries a good selection of Cubans. This is located on Vallarta Street just over the bridge on the southside of the Rio Cujale (so it is in our Old Town/Romantic Zone. It is about a block from the bridge on the left side of the street.

Another place (somewhat more convenient for cruisers who are walking the Malecon) is actually part of a long standing Cuban Restaurant called

La Bodeguita del Medio. It is located right along the Malecon towards the north end (the end closer to the hotel zone/cruise port) at the corner of Allende.

And the other place that has a good reputation for selling the real thing is El Gato Gordo. This is a bit tricky to find but its on the southside Old Town area at 226 Ignacio Vallarta (the same street as the Vallarta Cigar Factory). The man who owns this place (Grant) can always be seen with a cigar in his mouth and has built a very impressive room-size humidor where he has a large inventory.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We're going to be in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo on a HAL cruise in April and none of the shore tours are really jumping out to us. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on things we could do or organise on our own?

We are a married couple in our early 30's from Australia. Cost is not important to us.

Any recommendations would be great. We don't really want to drive if we can avoid it.

I haven't read through all the thread, so I'm unsure what others have suggested. We are just about to go to these ports for the 4th time with NCL and coming from Aus no way would we drive either.

Cabo San Lucas

1.Sep/Oct'07 Took a water taxi out to the arch, pelicans etc then walked around the town.

2 Sep/Oct'09 Parasailed first, just booked dockside, then took a water taxi again, and got dropped off at Lovers Beach-very nice beach, lovely yellow sand, but no facilities. There could have been a vendor on the beach selling water and soft drinks. We got picked up 2 hours later and taken back to the dock where we spent time watching the partying at Senor Frogs dockside (great fun atmosphere) I bought one of those frozen margaritas (when in Mexico) -Senor Frogs wasn't there the third time we went in 2012.

3 Sep/Oct'12 Took a water taxi to Lovers Beach again, I think we did the whole tour out to Los Arcos first-I do love Lovers Beach. Snorkelled out to the rock, but no fish-only pelicans and crabs. We were picked up by the water taxi and taken to Medano Beach where we had lunch at Mangos -(Yum-I love Mexican food. I think I had quesadillas). We watched all the party games wet T shirt, drinking contests etc. Those Americans sure know how to party. We could have had another swim, but not sure. There were vendors selling jewellery etc, but we just said no and ignored them. They have to be down near the waterline as they are not allowed near the beachside restaurants. We could have got a water or a land taxi back, but the ship/dock didn't look that far away, so we decided to walk, big mistake it was a very long walk back as we had to walk the long way around all the harbours.

March/April 15 ?????????

Puerto Vallarta

Sep/Oct'07 We took one of the minivans waiting at the port for a highlight/best of tour of Puerto Vallarta. I think we paid between 15-20 US. They wait until they fill the van then go. I think we had about 8-10 people. We had a great day as the group was small and we got to see and visit so many great places.

2 Sep/Oct'09 I did the Extreme Adventure and Canopy Tour through NCL. It was so much fun ziplining and rappelling down into waterfalls. All very safe, a guy helped us on the freefall rope down into the waterfall pool below. I'm scared of heights etc, but overcame my fears and had an absolute blast. I think we rode a donkey uphill at the beginning. For someone who's never been on a horse this was a challenge. Loved it though.

3 Sep/Oct'12 We took the NCL ship tour to the Hacienda. Lunch/Mexican dancing etc. It was ok, the Hacienda was fun, but we sat in heaps of traffic/absolute traffic jam. Our time was also cut short as we were so late arriving. The tour was a big bus, so it took forever to get off the bus wait for everyone to return, get back on etc. at the sites we visited on the day and we vowed never to do a big bus tour again.

March/April '15????????? Although we may do Las Caletas-unsure??

This time -(we're cruising again in March/April) we are just going to get off and use all the local vendors waiting at the port. Tours and taxis etc are cheap and I've always had a wonderful time using the local vendors/taxis etc. We are also going to Mazatlan and using the local vendors. I had another wonderful day the only time I was there.

Enjoy your Mexican cruise-it's a great place to cruise to!:)

We are taking our 2 grand children on 13 & 16 on Carnival Miracle. Apr 14. Are there any resorts that offer day passes near the port. ? We are not able to walk far.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2110496

Krystal and Crown Plaza are close to the cruise terminal.

If you start to walk the Malecon from the McDonald's area, how long (distance) would that walk be? I love to walk, but I'm trying to decide if my husband would want to walk the entire distance vs. starting at a more southern location. If we decide not to start around McDonald's, where would you suggest? I'm definitely interested in either the Cheeky Monkey or the Sea Monkey. Do you tell the bus driver where you want to get off or do you need to know in advance?

Laura

If you start to walk the Malecon from the McDonald's area, how long (distance) would that walk be? I love to walk, but I'm trying to decide if my husband would want to walk the entire distance vs. starting at a more southern location. If we decide not to start around McDonald's, where would you suggest? I'm definitely interested in either the Cheeky Monkey or the Sea Monkey. Do you tell the bus driver where you want to get off or do you need to know in advance?

Laura

If you want to go to old town first, stay on the bus until it merges with the main street and crosses the Rio Cuale (river). Get off at the next stop and walk toward the ocean. You should get to the malecon right next to the Sea Monkey. You can see the new pier a couple of blocks South of you and can walk there if you choose.

The main part of town is North (toward the ship) and the malecon is about 3/4 mile long. That is a wild guess, but it is an easy walk. You can make a "pit stop" at the Cheeky Monkey that is across from the "ladders" statue. Another block or so gets you to the North end of the malecon and you can go away from the ocean one or two blocks until you see buses going toward the ship. The white and blue bus will have WalMart on the window. Skip one that says Pitillal. It turns away from the main road at the stoplight before WalMart.

The bus will stop in front of a clinic and across from a gas station near the stoplight before you reach WalMart. The ship will be visible. You can get off there or stay on the bus and go to the WalMart parking lot. It is a little further walk back to the stoplight and to the ship.

Edited by swedish weave

Laura

I once tried to measure the distance during my own morning walk and figure it is approximately 1/3 of a mile from McDonalds to the pedestrian bridge at the Rio Cujale (the tiny bridge that takes you to the southside Old Town/Romantic Zone). While this might be a bit far for some folks there are plenty of shops where you might want to browse and you can certainly stop and sit along the Malecon at any point. For those that want to cut down on the distance we suggest taking the bus or taxi and get off at either Aldama or Corona (which is where you will find the entrance to the Cheeky Monkey) and jump on the Malecon at that mid-point. You then turn left (keeping the sea on your right) and head south over the small pedestrian bridge that spans the Rio Cujale.

I am very prejudice since we live on the southside of the Rio Cujale (in the Romantic Zone) which is the part of town that DW and I truly love. We like to think this is the most fun part of town, we love the restaurants, bars, beach, and we have our share of boutiques and art galleries. We even have our own "monkey" (the Sea Monkey) which has seating right on the sandy beach with the same dollar beer (and so-so Margaritas) that you would get at the Cheeky Monkey.

And while I am on the subject, let me explain the difference between the "Southside," "Romantic Zone," "Zona Romantica." "Veijo Vallarta." and the "Old Town." They all are exactly the same place :). While many of the ex pats here on PV insist on calling the area the "southside" the other terms are actually more common. If you look at a map (try Google Maps) of Puerto Vallarta and follow the Malecon (Sea Wall) south to the Rio Cujale...everything south of that little river is the southside. North of it (the main part of the Malecon) is called "Centro."

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We've been to Cabo and PV twice. We'd recommend taking the water taxi to Medano Beach, but include a tour first.. around the arch and lover's beach. Think we paid around $10 round trip for four of us, plus $1 each additional at pier where water taxi is docked. The restaurants provide seating, shade and service on the sand! Enjoy! Our water taxi arrived back to pick us up exactly on time too! Great service each time!

We also took a parasailing trip from a pier-side vendor.. we were the only ones on the boat and it was way cheaper than the ship excursion cost! Shop around or just offer a price before agreeing.. they'll follow you around like little puppies as they shout out lower and lower prices.

And if you just want good food, check out Gordo LeLe's.. it's a bit off the beaten path and is a hole in the wall place, but very good food!

For PV, we took the ship excursions both times.. One was the Marigalante Pirates tour.. good food, good drink, great show and fun times! The second visit to PV we took a tequila factory tour.

Have fun!!

I once tried to measure the distance during my own morning walk and figure it is approximately 1/3 of a mile from McDonalds to the pedestrian bridge at the Rio Cujale (the tiny bridge that takes you to the southside Old Town/Romantic Zone). While this might be a bit far for some folks there are plenty of shops where you might want to browse and you can certainly stop and sit along the Malecon at any point. For those that want to cut down on the distance we suggest taking the bus or taxi and get off at either Aldama or Corona (which is where you will find the entrance to the Cheeky Monkey) and jump on the Malecon at that mid-point. You then turn left (keeping the sea on your right) and head south over the small pedestrian bridge that spans the Rio Cujale.

I am very prejudice since we live on the southside of the Rio Cujale (in the Romantic Zone) which is the part of town that DW and I truly love. We like to think this is the most fun part of town, we love the restaurants, bars, beach, and we have our share of boutiques and art galleries. We even have our own "monkey" (the Sea Monkey) which has seating right on the sandy beach with the same dollar beer (and so-so Margaritas) that you would get at the Cheeky Monkey.

And while I am on the subject, let me explain the difference between the "Southside," "Romantic Zone," "Zona Romantica." "Veijo Vallarta." and the "Old Town." They all are exactly the same place :). While many of the ex pats here on PV insist on calling the area the "southside" the other terms are actually more common. If you look at a map (try Google Maps) of Puerto Vallarta and follow the Malecon (Sea Wall) south to the Rio Cujale...everything south of that little river is the southside. North of it (the main part of the Malecon) is called "Centro."

Hank

In addition to all the information Hank gave, you can check this website by JR with maps about Puerto Vallarta.

The cruise terminal is in the north at the hotelzone map: http://vallartainfo.com/hotelzone.html

you can go down to the other maps.

Malecon is on downtown, more down is southside.

In front of Vista del Sol you will find Cheeky Monkey.

Edited by Ine

In addition to all the information Hank gave, you can check this website by JR with maps about Puerto Vallarta.

The cruise terminal is in the north at the hotelzone map: http://vallartainfo.com/hotelzone.html

you can go down to the other maps.

Malecon is on downtown, more down is southside.

In front of Vista del Sol you will find Cheeky Monkey.

A small correction in that in front of Vista del Sol you will find the "Sea Monkey." The Cheeky Monkey is located in Centro across the street from the "Ladder Statute" on the Malecon. Both "Monkeys" share the same US owner and similar drink prices. But there are some differences in food menus.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

And if you just want good food, check out Gordo LeLe's.. it's a bit off the beaten path and is a hole in the wall place, but very good food!

We liked the food at Gordo Lele's, but we will never go there again.

We went there 2x (ship did 2 days in Cabo). First time we went for lunch, the owner was very friendly and even sang to us. Then next day, we went back for lunch and it was a complete 180. He wasn't friendly (almost to the point he was annoyed he had customers). We ordered almost the same food, with the exception of one item which was less expensive than the previous day, we were charged more than the previous day. We told him he charged us too much and he refused to listen to us. So we paid and vowed never to go back and tell everyone our story.

A small correction in that in front of Vista del Sol you will find the "Sea Monkey." The Cheeky Monkey is located in Centro across the street from the "Ladder Statute" on the Malecon. Both "Monkeys" share the same US owner and similar drink prices. But there are some differences in food menus.

Hank

yes indeed, you are right Hank!

Puerto Vallarta

2 Sep/Oct'09 I did the Extreme Adventure and Canopy Tour through NCL. It was so much fun ziplining and rappelling down into waterfalls. All very safe, a guy helped us on the freefall rope down into the waterfall pool below. I'm scared of heights etc, but overcame my fears and had an absolute blast. I think we rode a donkey uphill at the beginning. For someone who's never been on a horse this was a challenge. Loved it though.

Do you have a web site or can point me to some pictures. I'm starting planning for our upcoming cruise stop here.

Cheers

We've been to Cabo and PV twice. We'd recommend taking the water taxi to Medano Beach, but include a tour first.. around the arch and lover's beach. Think we paid around $10 round trip for four of us, plus $1 each additional at pier where water taxi is docked. The restaurants provide seating, shade and service on the sand! Enjoy! Our water taxi arrived back to pick us up exactly on time too! Great service each time!

We also took a parasailing trip from a pier-side vendor.. we were the only ones on the boat and it was way cheaper than the ship excursion cost! Shop around or just offer a price before agreeing.. they'll follow you around like little puppies as they shout out lower and lower prices.

For PV, we took the ship excursions both times.. One was the Marigalante Pirates tour.. good food, good drink, great show and fun times! The second visit to PV we took a tequila factory tour.

Have fun!!

Been to Cabo many times but never cruise arrival, are the vendors for the para-sailing readily available for booking at dockside? Is negotiation / haggling part of the process?

Thanks

If you want to go to old town first, stay on the bus until it merges with the main street and crosses the Rio Cuale (river). Get off at the next stop and walk toward the ocean. You should get to the malecon right next to the Sea Monkey. You can see the new pier a couple of blocks South of you and can walk there if you choose.

The main part of town is North (toward the ship) and the malecon is about 3/4 mile long. That is a wild guess, but it is an easy walk. You can make a "pit stop" at the Cheeky Monkey that is across from the "ladders" statue. Another block or so gets you to the North end of the malecon and you can go away from the ocean one or two blocks until you see buses going toward the ship. The white and blue bus will have WalMart on the window. Skip one that says Pitillal. It turns away from the main road at the stoplight before WalMart.

The bus will stop in front of a clinic and across from a gas station near the stoplight before you reach WalMart. The ship will be visible. You can get off there or stay on the bus and go to the WalMart parking lot. It is a little further walk back to the stoplight and to the ship.

Thanks!

Hank

Thanks so much! We are only docked from 7:00 am until 2:30, so I have to have a plan!

Laura

Do you have a web site or can point me to some pictures. I'm starting planning for our upcoming cruise stop here.

Cheers

I think the website is Vallarta Adventures, but you book through the ship as that is the company they use for most of their shore excursions. Not sure what cruise line you are with, but NCL uses them for many of their tours.

Thanks so much! We are only docked from 7:00 am until 2:30, so I have to have a plan!

Laura

Those docking times really limiting. You will probably need to be back at the Marina (Port) by 2. And keep in mind that most of Puerto Vallarta (other then restaurants serving breakfast) does not open until around 9. That does give you enough time to get yourselves into town (the local buses cost 7.5 Pesos) by either bus or taxi. If you want to take a bus just walk out of the port, turn left, walk up to the main street (you will see a large parking lot with Sams and Walmart across the road) and you will see folks waiting for the bus near the Pemex station. You can use any bus that has "Centro" on the windshield (usually written in white paint) but avoid any bus that is displaying a "Tunel" sign.

You would have plenty of time to get to town, walk the entire Malecon, do some shopping (don't forget to explore the stalls on the small island in the Riu Cujale (below the bridge you walk over to get to the southside). There is also a nearby flea market (just ask anyone to point you in the direction). But if you stay in town you will need to head back to the port by around 1pm (no sense cutting it too close. A taxi between town and the Port should be no more then 100 Pesos (about $6.50) but if you were to use one of the white taxis that are at the port (to go to town) they usually charge a lot more. So if you use taxis, walk out to the street and flag down a Yellow Taxi and ask about the price before you get in the taxi. Paying for things in Pesos will get you the best prices, but most places (and taxis) will take US Dollars (but not at the best exchange rates).

So here is a tale of what happened to DW last week. She was buying a Sun Dress from a street vendor (near our Condo) and ask for the price. The man (who owns the stall) quoted her $30 US. Kathy asked for the price in Pesos (and mentioned that we lived close-by) and he laughed and told her 300 Pesos (which is about $21 US). And by the way, they use the $ for Pesos as well as dollars :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Those docking times really limiting. You will probably need to be back at the Marina (Port) by 2. And keep in mind that most of Puerto Vallarta (other then restaurants serving breakfast) does not open until around 9. That does give you enough time to get yourselves into town (the local buses cost 7.5 Pesos) by either bus or taxi. If you want to take a bus just walk out of the port, turn left, walk up to the main street (you will see a large parking lot with Sams and Walmart across the road) and you will see folks waiting for the bus near the Pemex station. You can use any bus that has "Centro" on the windshield (usually written in white paint) but avoid any bus that is displaying a "Tunel" sign.

You would have plenty of time to get to town, walk the entire Malecon, do some shopping (don't forget to explore the stalls on the small island in the Riu Cujale (below the bridge you walk over to get to the southside). There is also a nearby flea market (just ask anyone to point you in the direction). But if you stay in town you will need to head back to the port by around 1pm (no sense cutting it too close. A taxi between town and the Port should be no more then 100 Pesos (about $6.50) but if you were to use one of the white taxis that are at the port (to go to town) they usually charge a lot more. So if you use taxis, walk out to the street and flag down a Yellow Taxi and ask about the price before you get in the taxi. Paying for things in Pesos will get you the best prices, but most places (and taxis) will take US Dollars (but not at the best exchange rates).

So here is a tale of what happened to DW last week. She was buying a Sun Dress from a street vendor (near our Condo) and ask for the price. The man (who owns the stall) quoted her $30 US. Kathy asked for the price in Pesos (and mentioned that we lived close-by) and he laughed and told her 300 Pesos (which is about $21 US). And by the way, they use the $ for Pesos as well as dollars :).

Hank

Correction ! The sign for pesos has one vertical line through the S and the dollar sign has two vertical lines.

Correction ! The sign for pesos has one vertical line through the S and the dollar sign has two vertical lines.

Really? $ $ $ this is the dollar sign on my US keyboard. But you sure got my curiosity so had to check. According to various sources (online) you can use either 1 (more common) or 2 vertical strokes interchangeably. And that is the case for either the US dollar or the Mexican Peso.

To be honest, we never noticed until we saw your post. Here is the quote right out of Wikipedia:

The dollar sign or peso sign ($ or Cifrão symbol.svg) is a symbol primarily used to indicate the various peso and dollar units of currency around the world. The symbol can interchangeably have one or two vertical strokes. Note that while the two-stroked version is visually identical to the cifrão, it is not the same symbol"

So I just mentioned this post to DW who is a retired Elementary teacher who taught writing (among other things) for over thirty years. Her initial reaction was the same as yours and she said the dollar sign had 2 vertical strokes. Then she started looking at various internet sources and her immediate reaction was "so now we are all too lazy to use 2 strokes?"

Another source says that "currently" the single line symbol is "the most commonly accepted (proper) symbol for the dollar"

I also looked at our 5 computer keyboards (in our home) and they all have a single vertical stroke. And that is also the only symbol we see in our local newspaper.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Really? $ $ $ this is the dollar sign on my US keyboard. But you sure got my curiosity so had to check. According to various sources (online) you can use either 1 (more common) or 2 vertical strokes interchangeably. And that is the case for either the US dollar or the Mexican Peso.

To be honest, we never noticed until we saw your post. Here is the quote right out of Wikipedia:

The dollar sign or peso sign ($ or Cifrão symbol.svg) is a symbol primarily used to indicate the various peso and dollar units of currency around the world. The symbol can interchangeably have one or two vertical strokes. Note that while the two-stroked version is visually identical to the cifrão, it is not the same symbol"

So I just mentioned this post to DW who is a retired Elementary teacher who taught writing (among other things) for over thirty years. Her initial reaction was the same as yours and she said the dollar sign had 2 vertical strokes. Then she started looking at various internet sources and her immediate reaction was "so now we are all too lazy to use 2 strokes?"

Another source says that "currently" the single line symbol is "the most commonly accepted (proper) symbol for the dollar"

I also looked at our 5 computer keyboards (in our home) and they all have a single vertical stroke. And that is also the only symbol we see in our local newspaper.

Hank

I don't agree, but since you are determined to prove me wrong in all cases, you do it your way and I will do it mine.

What Do the Two Lines on the Dollar Sign Mean?

This was also on the internet !!!!

Edited by swedish weave

I don't agree, but since you are determined to prove me wrong in all cases, you do it your way and I will do it mine.

Ok you don't agree? So what "facts" can you cite to support what you say? We did spend some time researching the issue (just out of curiosity) and can find absolutely nothing that supports what you said. I am not trying to prove you right or wrong but merely trying to find out the truth.

Hank

P.S. Our curiosity is enhanced because we live in Mexico 2 months a year and have never noticed what you stated.

Edited by Hlitner