Jewel or Freedom out of Texas?

tdelano

Our first cruise. Have narrowed the choices to 6 Day Freedom or 7 Day Jewel due to cost and port. We are looking for bargain vacation that will get us to the ocean so lowest cabin. Couple in 40's, very casual, most important to us are the stops and both cruises have things we are intersted in. The Jewels option for dining at a table for two appeals. What other pro/cons should I consider? Thanks for any advice!!

My vote would be the Jewel. I have not cruised on the Freedom but have been on the Jewel and had a great experience. The Jewel leaves from the Bayport cruise terminal and I think it is a much better port than Galveston. You park directly in front of the ship, no shuttles, and it was very fast going through customs (20 minutes versus the 90 minutes on my recent Galveston cruise).

Can't compare the actual cruises so will leave that to someone else.

well posting this in the NCL section is likely to get more Jewel votes simply since most people here like to cruise on NCL.

But leaving bias aside since I have sailed both - simple answer for me would be the Jewel and thats based completely on 7 nights verse 6. A week cruise goes by so quickly that if all other things are equal, i would take the extra night.

Not sure when you want to leave but I am going on the Jewel 12/13 and an interior for 2 with taxes and fees is $700 for 7 days ... That is a great deal. Ocean view for another $50 +/-

Xmas and new years will be more expensive

Jewel 1/3 $722, 1/10 $682, 1/17 $722, 1/24 $782

Did some checking for my brother a couple days ago.

Edited by rdhnd

Not sure when you want to leave but I am going on the Jewel 12/13 and an interior for 2 with taxes and fees is $700 for 7 days ... That is a great deal. Ocean view for another $50 +/-

Xmas and new years will be more expensive

Jewel 1/3 $722, 1/10 $682, 1/17 $722, 1/24 $782

Did some checking for my brother a couple days ago.

We too are on the 12/13 cruise on Jewel. Never been on the Jewel and looking forward to it.

We bought our tickets months ago and got two BB balconys at $589 per person. Prices are cheaper now if you're willing to take a guaranty cabin.

We started with NCL because of the free style cruising and have been brand loyal ever since. So, I guess what I'm saying is, personal preference.

Have narrowed the choices to 6 Day Freedom or 7 Day Jewel due to cost and port. We are looking for bargain vacation that will get us to the ocean so lowest cabin. Couple in 40's, very casual, most important to us are the stops and both cruises have things we are intersted in. The Jewels option for dining at a table for two appeals. What other pro/cons should I consider? Thanks for any advice!!

Carnival has plenty of tables for 2 also, especially with Your Time Dining. We always get one and never have to wait. Since that is all NCL has, set times probably don't matter to you. Also, if you drink a lot, the Carnival drink package is about $10/day pp cheaper than NCL. However, you can't get it until the second day due to TX law, so you would only pay for 5 days.

My vote would be the Jewel. I have not cruised on the Freedom but have been on the Jewel and had a great experience. The Jewel leaves from the Bayport cruise terminal and I think it is a much better port than Galveston. You park directly in front of the ship, no shuttles, and it was very fast going through customs (20 minutes versus the 90 minutes on my recent Galveston cruise).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Galveston as a port. I park at Galveston Park and Cruise that is two blocks from the ship and pay $9/day for covered, secure parking. It is a five minute walk to the ship. Also, my last customs in Galveston was maybe 10 minutes, at the most. It all depends on how many people are ahead of you. If you are one of the last ones off in Bayport, I bet your wait won't be 20 minutes. Also, from Galveston you are about one mile from the Gulf as opposed to 40 miles from the Gulf.

Can't compare the actual cruises so will leave that to someone else.

Also been on the Jewel - a great ship.

Was on the Freedom 2 years ago and had a good time. Nice ship and I think have a little larger rooms it would appear in general than the Jewel.

That said going on the Jewel Jan 31, so I will have a first hand comparison. I would be happy if the Jewel was comparible to the freedom. We liked that the Jewel and NCL having anytime dining options. We shall see how it all shakes out.

The Jewel! Got off ship yesterday & take my word for it. Houston port is awesome. $75 for parking when you make a reservation at Houston Port Authority.ImageUploadedByForums1418004463.716547.jpg.6f736ed6f205372d871bed2c76a0d7d5.jpg this is the closest hotel.

ImageUploadedByForums1418004593.346759.jpg.f95a982de9e41bc84a05169012dc8268.jpg

Email me at tanyaheart at yahoo dot com for any specific questions. I highly recommend the ultimate dining package. We never ate in the main dining rooms so I can't critique on those.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ImageUploadedByForums1418004527.166952.jpg.fac83df29f1b2b55a1404dc9ff7aa148.jpg