Another lie from Celebrity, re: Silhouette

rucruisn2

I also want to say that Laurel, in Mr. Bayley's office told me she just got off Silhouette and there were NO engine problems. We also know that is a huge lie. I pointed out to her that the ship was going into dry dock to fix the problem and she told me "ships to into dry dock for many reasons" . I had better things to do than listen to her lie to me so I hung up.

I also want to say that Laurel, in Mr. Bayley's office told me she just got off Silhouette and there were NO engine problems. We also know that is a huge lie. I pointed out to her that the ship was going into dry dock to fix the problem and she told me "ships to into dry dock for many reasons" . I had better things to do than listen to her lie to me so I hung up.

She must have been making full use of the drinks package. I'm sure some PR person has them not admitting to anything negative. Probably some washed out political consultant telling them to deny, deny, deny.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Technically she's right, doon't believe that the problem is in the engine--rather in the azipod.

Technically she's right, doon't believe that the problem is in the engine--rather in the azipod.

Surely an engine is a device that converts energy (of whatever sort) into mechanical drive. So ships like the Silhouette have two sets of engines. One set that converts the energy stored in hydrocarbons into mechanical energy that then drives generators which in turn then provide the energy (electrical) for the propulsion unit (ie the azipod). So I find myself disagreeing with you Islandbuoy, the secretary was not correct with her statement.

Surely an engine is a device that converts energy (of whatever sort) into mechanical drive. So ships like the Silhouette have two sets of engines. One set that converts the energy stored in hydrocarbons into mechanical energy that then drives generators which in turn then provide the energy (electrical) for the propulsion unit (ie the azipod). So I find myself disagreeing with you Islandbuoy, the secretary was not correct with her statement.

Surely you did not spend more than a few years in the electric motor and generator business. They are not "engines". What school is your engineering degree from by the way?

As I said they were hiding behind a technicality. I was on the ship!

Celebrity are not hiding behind a technicality; they are in the words of Bernard Ingham (adviser to Margaret Thatcher) being conservative with the truth. If you read back my posts you will see that I was also on the cruise.

In the words of George Bernard Shaw: England and America are two countries separated by a common language.

I note that Wikipedia does not disagree with me. Scotland has some of the best Universities in the world (Edinburgh in top 50), why does it matter which one I went to?

....Did the November 22 Celebrity Reflection make her ports? she had almost the same ports with an exchange of St. Thomas for St. Kitts. ......

Reflection did not arrive in San Juan on time, about three hours late due to "weather". The winds were brisk but we also left Miami a bit late. All San Juan shore excursions were cancelled. We were not offered an OBC, nor did we expect one. I wondered at the time if burning a lot more fuel would have kept us on schedule.

I noticed that Marineboy is in the UK. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that he is the only one who is reporting having received a proper honest notice. Could this be due to differences in UK laws and regulations? I'm disappointed that Celebrity has been dishonest excuses to other customers and hope they come clean to all passengers ASAP. From the various posts on the boards it seems like this is well beyond the situation of a couple customer service clerks being ill informed.

I am on the 12/21 sailing and received the same email from Celebrity. I live in San Francisco. Maybe California has the same laws as the UK???

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi all,

We sail on the New Years cruise, so reading this sent us into a panic!

We booked this ironically on the Silhouette a Euro cruise in September (no issues at all on that trip but relatively small distances between ports).

Just got off the phone with Captains Club rep in the US to query whether any changes to itinerary. Was told that port times take into account any speed restrictions and that we would be notified in advance of the trip if any changes would be made. Got to admit lady did not give us a huge amount of confidence.......

Closed call by asking if calls are recorded but hardly think that will give us any recompense if itinerary is indeed changed as expected.

Sure cruise will be great either way but I do expect up front honesty from Celebrity.

We can confirm that guests will be receiving at least $100 OBC, plus $25 for each third and fourth guest.

I think it is great that Celebrity is offering an OBC for passengers on the December 7 and 21 sailing. However, I do believe Celebrity should offer an OBC for a future cruise to passengers on the November 23 sailing.

As a passenger on the November 23 sailing I was lied to by Guest Relations by their denial that there was any propulsion problem and that the scheduled dry dock was anything but routine maintenance. The Captain was not forthright with the passengers when during his 10 am briefing from the bridge he did not announce the cancellation of the stop in San Juan even though he did announce that we were 167 nautical miles away and travelling at 17 knots. Since we were only 5.5 hours from the scheduled arrival, it takes no mathematical genius to calculate that we could not make it.

By offering an OBC on a future cruise to passengers of the November 23 sailing, Celebrity would not only be acknowledging that the likelihood of reaching San Juan was nigh on impossible but also acknowledge that through lies and clear obfuscations by their staff both on land and at sea they have badly bungled this issue and damaged the customer good will.

Reflection did not arrive in San Juan on time, about three hours late due to "weather". The winds were brisk but we also left Miami a bit late. All San Juan shore excursions were cancelled. We were not offered an OBC, nor did we expect one. I wondered at the time if burning a lot more fuel would have kept us on schedule.

Getting late to San Juan wasn't a big problem for us. We didn't leave San Juan until midnight and we ended up calling a tour company and had a nice night time tour of the city but also had time for an early dinner on the ship next to the windows in blu as we came into port.

We're also more go with the flow, when there's lemons-make lemonade type of people. Everyone else I talked to about it was angry and felt it wasn't worth getting off the boat since it was so late getting into port. Oh well.

I think it is great that Celebrity is offering an OBC for passengers on the December 7 and 21 sailing. However, I do believe Celebrity should offer an OBC for a future cruise to passengers on the November 23 sailing.

That would be the right thing to do.

Which proves my point that it was not weather conditions that forced us to miss San Juan. It was the propulsion issue. You know, most of us would not have minded cancelled shore excursions. We still could have bee bopped around old San Jaun a bit and the couple who had wedding plans there could have had their wedding with all their relatives whom had flown there for the wedding.

At least, even if they are lying about the reasons, they are up front with the cruise this week that there will be no San Juan on Tuesday. Hopefully they are honest on that point with the December 21st cruise too.

I also would like to know how your sailing is unlike my sailing, they have no idea what kind of weather we will hit. Nor the Dec. 21 (?) sailing which is also not going to San Juan. I was referring to the Celebrity bashers amongst us.

Our friend from Scotland has done a lot of Celebrity cruises. Celebrity was his favorite line. He is simply upset and disappointed as I am that Celebrity was not honest with us. He has a right to express his opinion, just as you have that right also.

As far as the other reasons I felt disappointment I already posted why I was disappointed in the cruise. I hated that all the extra costs were hiked up considerably. For example a plain cappuccino, no flavoring or alcohol was $5 before tip. I still bought some. My husband who is a moderate drinker of alcohol and usually buys around 2 drinks a day, plus a bottle of wine for dinner, bought 4 drinks total in 7 days and once had a glass of wine because the prices were so hiked up.

If your cruise was so different, I am guessing you rarely drink alcohol or specialty coffees. You also must have eaten in the Specialties most of the time too. I didn't, except for one dinner which is our norm for a 7 day cruise. We feel specialties should be for a special meal, not every night.

.... A bit later the Captain came on saying due to rough seas we would not be able to port. He also said as an apology there will be free rum punch in all the bars for the next two hours. ....

Not quite the same thing. Your ship reached the port on time but was unable to enter. At least you were compensated with an open rum punch bar for a couple of hours.

The Silhouette was some 6 hours late by the time it reached the waters off the port area. Due to its distressed azipod it had only reached the coast off Haiti by midnight on the Monday some 32 hours after leaving the US. An average speed around 17-18 knots.

Photo of starboard azipod struggling, as you can see the sea looks relatively calm:

Silhouette%201.JPG

Library picture of a heavy swell (Compare with above from Silhouette):

Heavy-swell-1.jpg

Steve,

This was scheduled a long time ago, when the azipod problems surfaced. But of course Celebrity told me on the phone today, (Laurel in Mr. Bayley's office) that this is just a routine dry dock and there are no problems with the engines.

Yes Mr. Celebrity.... Laurel in Mr. Bayley's office.

Keep digging yourselves deeper in it.

Engines are not Azipods. Engines Power the Azipods. From what I know the engines are fine, it's an Azipod issue.

Some have said they and major delays getting to Grand Cayman and Jamaica this season. I was just on the same itinerary Nov 30-Dec7, and we arrived at both with less than 30 minute delay, not he 2 plus hour delay other have stated.

As the Celebriry rep posted in a reply here, those itineraries were affected by BOTH propulsion AND weather, as my itinerary was not delayed as long as those, it WAS the weather that caused the major delays for those prior posters, as the azipod issue was only responsible or 30 minutes of the delay in 2 ports.

It's not a huge cover up by celebrity. Many factors fall into play with regard to calling in ports, and yes weather is a major factor.

The ships' TOP speed is 25 knots, and it rarely travels at that full speed. We sailed at mostly 17 knots on our journey. The highest speed I've seen us sail at on my 9 cruises so far was 21 knots, and I've traveled as slow as 12 knots

Self absorbed, technically oblivious, and unappreciative first-worlder's... prepare your flamethrowers!

My take on the subject of this, and the other current/related thread, has much less to do with the documented propulsion problem on Silhouette, and FAR MORE to do with a very vocal minority of spoiled rotten, self centered, whiney ingrates who have absolutely NO appreciation of just how fortunate they really are.

ALL passengers need to read the fine print in their cruise documents about how the cruise line can change any itinerary, for any reason, at any time. It is QUITE OBVIOUS that doing this arbitrarily, and without explanation and/or some form of compensation WILL negatively affect passenger satisfaction and future profitability.

Silhouette has a minor propulsion problem that keeps it from operating at or near its top speed, which requires changes in arrival times/port stops/itineraries. This long known minor propulsion problem has necessitated the ship will soon be temporarily removed from service to enter a dry dock period for repairs.

From the HOWLS of outrage and the petulant DEMANDS for "compensation," you would think these "poor victims" are enduring floggings in the ship's dungeon.

They apparently have NEVER experienced a mechanical breakdown of ANY item or device they have EVER owned, or even CONSIDERED that something as HUGE and COMPLEX as a cruise ship could EVER encounter ANY problem.

Get a GRIP! A Celebrity "S" Class Cruise Ship is a 120,000 TON, 17 story tall, 1,000 feet long, small CITY of 4,500 people!!! It provides you with creature comforts that well over half of the SEVEN BILLION PEOPLE living on this planet can not even comprehend, and it does so while sailing around the world's oceans so you can visit a different beach every other day.

MY opinion??? Quit with the sniveling, try being thankful for what you've got, or stay home.

What's YOURS?

Edited by teecee60

Self absorbed, technically oblivious, and unappreciative first-worlder's... prepare your flamethrowers!

My take on the subject of this, and the other current/related thread, has much less to do with the documented propulsion problem on Silhouette, and FAR MORE to do with a very vocal minority of spoiled rotten, self centered, whiney ingrates who have absolutely NO appreciation of just how fortunate they really are.

ALL passengers need to read the fine print in their cruise documents about how the cruise line can change any itinerary, for any reason, at any time. It is QUITE OBVIOUS that doing this arbitrarily, and without explanation and/or some form of compensation WILL negatively affect passenger satisfaction and future profitability.

Silhouette has a minor propulsion problem that keeps it from operating at or near its top speed, which requires changes in arrival times/port stops/itineraries. This long known minor propulsion problem has necessitated the ship will soon be temporarily removed from service to enter a dry dock period for repairs.

From the HOWLS of outrage and the petulant DEMANDS for "compensation," you would think these "poor victims" are enduring floggings in the ship's dungeon.

They apparently have NEVER experienced a mechanical breakdown of ANY item or device they have EVER owned, or even CONSIDERED that something as HUGE and COMPLEX as a cruise ship could EVER encounter ANY problem.

Get a GRIP! A Celebrity "S" Class Cruise Ship is a 120,000 TON, 17 story tall, 1,000 feet long, small CITY of 4,500 people!!! It provides you with creature comforts that well over half of the SEVEN BILLION PEOPLE living on this planet can not even comprehend, and it does so while sailing around the world's oceans so you can visit a different beach every other day.

MY opinion??? Quit with the sniveling, try being thankful for what you've got, or stay home.

What's YOURS?

Indeed I am fortunate that I can spend thousands of $ for sailing through the Carribean but I am not fortunate with how X treats me. In two weeks on two out of seven ports I was not able to go ashore no enjoy what has been advertised due to a problem with the ship. Before you pay the customer is the king after they have your money they stick to the fine prints, lie you in your face and just ask for your understanding. That should be satisfying? For sure there a bigger problems on this planet but why should we always accept what they tell us well knowing that it is not the truth? Being honest with the issue and offering a small compensation showing good will and prove customer satisfaction would make the situation much better.

Again Celebrity, I ask very politely, could you explain your post 64 as it doesn't make sense to me.

On a different note: On the 4/5 December you said you would contact me. I supplied the information requested yet here we are nearly a week later and I still haven't heard from you. Have you lost the information I sent you? Please get it touch as you promised you would.

Engines are not Azipods. Engines Power the Azipods. From what I know the engines are fine, it's an Azipod issue.

Some have said they and major delays getting to Grand Cayman and Jamaica this season. I was just on the same itinerary Nov 30-Dec7, and we arrived at both with less than 30 minute delay, not he 2 plus hour delay other have stated.

As the Celebriry rep posted in a reply here, those itineraries were affected by BOTH propulsion AND weather, as my itinerary was not delayed as long as those, it WAS the weather that caused the major delays for those prior posters, as the azipod issue was only responsible or 30 minutes of the delay in 2 ports.

It's not a huge cover up by celebrity. Many factors fall into play with regard to calling in ports, and yes weather is a major factor.

The ships' TOP speed is 25 knots, and it rarely travels at that full speed. We sailed at mostly 17 knots on our journey. The highest speed I've seen us sail at on my 9 cruises so far was 21 knots, and I've traveled as slow as 12 knots

Ah, a voice of reason, how refreshing :)

The ship was late, on board credit was given, case closed. Move on people, nothing to see here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi there,

The November 27 sailing was affected by both issues. Had the weather cooperated, Silhouette would have still been able to make it.

However, the December 7 sailing is not the same.

As candhu18 has requested clarification on Celebrity Cruises Post 64, I can provide clarification.

The cruise was affected by BOTH the propulsion issue (which at most caused a 30 minute delay into some of the ports) AND weather, (which was responsible for the longer delayed port calls).

I can say this as I was on same itinerary last week, and though we had strong winds and currents, we made all our ports within 30 minutes of our call time.

Therefore, weather, NOT propulsion, caused the major delays on prior cruises, otherwise my cruise would have experienced the same major delays if it was propulsion ONLY.

Can I assume from your response that you are a Celebrity employee with the facts of the November cruise at your fingertips? You don't mention if the Silhouette left port early on occassions to try to meet its arrival times.

Please remember officers onboard told us that they could do 17 knots, I assume that is an average rather than a top speed. 900 nautical miles at 17 knots requires 53 hours plus docking time. We were scheduled only 47.5 hours. I do believe the onboard officers. With the exception of a few hours on the Tuesday the sea did not appear exceptionally rough.

I would rather wait for an official response from Celebrity if you don't mind.

Meanwhile I leave you with a photo of the Grandeur OTS ploughing through 30 foot waves in the Atlantic recently. In the words of their Cruise director it was "no big deal". I don't remember anything like this.

Grandeur%20OTS%2030%20ft%20waves.jpg

Edited by candhu18