My family booked a cruise, and now it's the annual singles' cruise 😧

OP - I hope you are able to change this cruise.

On a spring break/singles cruise I wouldn't go if the cruise line PAID ME!!!! I was on one once and that was enough for me! And it wasn't older teens but younger/and tweens. The most horrible week of my life.... Never again

BTW - you need to tell your parents what they are getting themselves in for. They are expecting a wonderful vacation not living on a ship for 6 days in Animal house

Good luck and let us know what happens

UPDATE: final payment for both rooms was made YESTERDAY and the penalty for cancelling is 1209$! :(

WE CANT CANCEL, the penalty is not worth it. What do I do now :(?!?!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry if I missed this, but did you book through a TA? That may be why you'll be charged to change the cruise (Carnival shouldn't be charging you a change fee if it's before the final payment date, even if your credit card was already charged, I would think). Many TAs won't charge you to make this change.

And it could be that the TA didn't know about this group when they booked this cruise so I wouldn't automatically accuse them of keeping this secret. As I said before, just about every cruise has groups on it, so why would the TA know about a specific group?

Sorry if I missed this' date=' but did you book through a TA? That may be why you'll be charged to change the cruise (Carnival shouldn't be charging you a change fee if it's before the final payment date, even if your credit card was already charged, I would think). Many TAs won't charge you to make this change.

And it could be that the TA didn't know about this group when they booked this cruise so I wouldn't automatically accuse them of keeping this secret. As I said before, just about every cruise has groups on it, so why would the TA know about a specific group?[/quote']

We booked with Carnival. When we go on the website, and click on reservations. It says that there is a 1207$ for cancelling. We booked in September, and the group only chose our sailing for the big "singles party" last month.

OP - I hope you are able to change this cruise.

On a spring break/singles cruise I wouldn't go if the cruise line PAID ME!!!! I was on one once and that was enough for me! And it wasn't older teens but younger/and tweens. The most horrible week of my life.... Never again

BTW - you need to tell your parents what they are getting themselves in for. They are expecting a wonderful vacation not living on a ship for 6 days in Animal house

Good luck and let us know what happens

What are we supposed to do? Airfare is already booked and the only other sailing that could accommodate our plane dates is on the Victory. But we would have to pay 1207$ to change, and then rebook on that sailing. The price is not worth it.

PLEASE, just call Carnival and tell them you DO NOT want to take your family on a cruise that turned out to be a partial charter for singles, and you want to know what they're going to do for you. But if it were me, no way would we go on that cruise. You tell Carnival that a singles cruise is not what you booked and you want satisfaction. You ask nicely, but make sure they know you won't accept anything less than a transfer of your cruise money or a refund.

Unfortunately, coming here asking for help won't do you a bit of good. You should have been on the phone to Carnival on the same day you discovered this singles cruise.

Lerin, are you serious? I don't know if you read anything, but if you think there aren't 35 year old men wouldn't hit on a teenage girl you need a reality check.

Edited by kitty9

We would lose all of our money if we cancelled. (1000$)

Have you called the airlines and asked?

Often they let you pay a change fee and transfer your reservations to different flights.

You keep saying you will lose this or that but I'm not clear if you are 'assuming' that or having 'other people' tell you that OR if you have actually asked the source. The best place to get this information is from Carnival and from your airline.

I am a little confused. Does "singles" cruise mean like, singles looking to "hook up," or is it a matchmaking type deal? What type of group is this? Singles gatherings mean different things to different people. Well, at least, to me. Bear in mind I'm sort of new to the cruise community so I'm not sure what is typical. If it is a cruise for people to meet people in a relationship sense, maybe it wouldn't be that bad. If it is a cruise just to meet people for "encounters," it could get wild. I guess. But, I mean, it's not like people are just gonna start getting down on the dinner table beside you or anything.

I am willing to bet my most prized possession that people met and "hooked up" on every cruise I've been on, but I never paid it any mind. Find out how large this group is. If booking is still open to the general public, it's at least not a big enough group to sell out and over crowd the ship. Call Carnival. Find out what floors these folks are staying on, ask if you can be moved. Explain your situation.

You're not interested in cancelling, understandably, so you're gonna have to try and make the best of this thing. Your dad doesn't have to know there is a singles group on board. They'll all be strangers to him, how will he know who each person is with? They'll just be a crowd of people on vacation to him. You can't control which groups book a public cruise.

To be honest, the situation kinda sounds like what I just went through with my father in law. I was so stressed that he wouldn't enjoy himself and would never want to cruise again, because he is so easy to dissatisfy. Of course, he hated it and never wants to go again (and as far as I know there were no singles groups on ours). But, that's okay. We'll still cruise in the future without him. No big deal. You unfortunately fell victim to tough luck (potentially, there is no guarantee it'll be a bad trip). But you can't stress over it. Make the best out of it and CALL CARNIVAL!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We would lose all of our money if we cancelled. (1000$)

I know this far out some airlines will allow changes and some with no fees... Another place to ask, who is your airline?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it's pretty safe to say that at the time of year you're going -- spring break -- it's going to be a party ship. I've been on shorter Carnival cruises (Caveat: I've never been on their longer cruises on bigger ships. Just the five-day Caribbean cruises out of Galveston and New Orleans) and the full-grown adults were drunker than a skunk before the ship left port.

I haven't researched the link that a previous poster had -- in which he/she said it was a professional group of singles mostly in their 30s -- but based on what the PP said, I think you'll be fine. There may be some areas that are closed for the group at certain times of the day, but the ship is huge. Go somewhere else!

I'm actually considering going on THAT singles' cruise for my vacation in 2015, so I'm posting to subscribe. I'd like insight on it as much as the OP does, although I'm aiming for, rather than avoiding, a party environment. No tarring and feathering, please :).

Also, here are some words of comfort to the OP. The party/hook-up/spring break crowd probably won't be on that cruise. Why? They don't really need singles' cruises, if you catch my drift. They can easily cruise on each other (see what I did there? ;)) in their hometown's bars, or if they're young enough, in the frat houses of the college they attended. So the crowd on that singles' cruise will probably more laid back, and generally limit their antics to the nightclub, the adults-only comedies, and their cabins.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Stefanos,

Calling and asking for your cruise to be moved to a different ship in the fleet is different from cancelling the cruise.

Take a look at the shorter cruise and select your cabins then call, explain your situation, and ask for your reservation to be moved.

Moving a reservation generally does not incure any penalties.

If your family do not want to do a shorter cruise with a couple of nights in Florida, look at moving your reservation to a cruise later in the year or even next year and find a good hotel in Florida for your weeks vacation. Yes you will be putting out more money, but none will be lost as the cruise reservation will have been moved to another date, and you will be using your flight for a Florida vacation

In general it is the cancellation of the reservation that costs you your deposit money, not moving it.

As others have said GET ON THE PHONE NOW. Less can be done if you call past the final payment date of the 16/12.

If you are inundated with too many unforseen decisions, get the cruise reps name and extension number and say you will call them back. Don't panic and don't be bullied into making snap decisions.

If you aren't getting what you want, ask to speak to the resolutions department or a supervisor.

Be persistent but polite, Good luck,

Cheers, h.

ps please keep us all updated

Edited by middlehaitch

So I talked to my mom, and she doesn't want call and change ships. She says it's too much of a hassle... I told her that parts of the ship may be closed because of the big group and that there may be a lot of partying and she didn't believe me for some reason and does want to call. Honestly, I prefer the ports on the Victory (Grand turk, Half moon cay and Nassau!), so I'd like to change... What am I supposed to tell her? She doesn't want to call.

Its party time every time it's Spring Break or when school's out, so there's really not much of a difference. Go have fun, if anything it'll probably be calmer because there's so many adults onboard trying to court/mate with each other. Or it'll be a booze fest of wine, liquor and refinery, whichever comes 1st. *shrug*

Edit: If you want to travel when there's not to much drunken stupidity, go when school is in session (Literally Elementary to college) and not when it winter / spring / summer / Holiday breaks. I don't know what it is about holidays and breaks that most people lost all their common sense and act like complete buffoons but they do....

Edited by maywell

Two teen guys (12,16) and a teen girl (18), but everything is already booked. Airfare included. (And it is not refundable)

I have a feeling that the 18 year old girl will get a lot of attention on this cruise.

So I talked to my mom, and she doesn't want call and change ships. She says it's too much of a hassle... I told her that parts of the ship may be closed because of the big group and that there may be a lot of partying and she didn't believe me for some reason and does want to call. Honestly, I prefer the ports on the Victory (Grand turk, Half moon cay and Nassau!), so I'd like to change... What am I supposed to tell her? She doesn't want to call.

If your Mom is the one who is making the final decision I guess you just need to calm down now and forget about it for a couple of months. Go on the cruise, take it as it comes and enjoy your holiday.

Nobody here is really able to help you and I'm not sure what you want us to say. :confused: Some of the things you've said make no sense - if final payment date is Dec. 16, the fares are still 100% refundable even if you have paid for everything in full. As for your airfare, I'm presuming the $1,000 you mention is the total change-fee Delta would charge you for 5 tickets? You'd actually only be out $200 if you save $800 by switching to the Victory.

But let's face it - even if you switch you will still be sailing during Spring Break, which is very likely to be a bigger factor than the singles group. The "group" members will probably be occupied with their own events and activities and will be fairly easy to avoid.

I think you will be fine. (Personally I find the scariest part of your whole story is the idea of 5 people in one cabin...).

Edited by ronandannette

If your Mom is the one who is making the final decision I guess you just need to calm down now and forget about it for a couple of months. Go on the cruise, take it as it comes and enjoy your holiday.

Nobody here is really able to help you and I'm not sure what you want us to say. :confused: Some of the things you've said make no sense - if final payment date is Dec. 16, the fares are still 100% refundable even if you have paid for everything in full. As for your airfare, I'm presuming the $1,000 you mention is the total change-fee Delta would charge you for 5 tickets? You'd actually only be out $200 if you save $800 by switching to the Victory.

But let's face it - even if you switch you will still be sailing during Spring Break, which is very likely to be a bigger factor than the singles group. The "group" members will probably be occupied with their own events and activities and will be fairly easy to avoid.

I think you will be fine. (Personally I find the scariest part of your whole story is the idea of 5 people in one cabin...).

1: the packaged we booked (I forget which one) has a non refundable deposit.

2: 1000$ is the cost for the flight for all 5 of us (we found a really good deal from Boston). If we wanted to cancel and reschedule we would loose all of our money and rebook a new flight (we would have to pay for a new flight: 1000$)

I agree with you. Everybody in one cabin? No way, Jose!!! That's the scariest part to me, too.

OP, since I take it your parents are paying and mom doesn't wanna call and change it, you're just gonna have to let this one ride. When you get the funds, take the itinerary and ship you like at another time.

Even if people are on this thing to "hook up," which I don't think it's that type of deal, like I said, your family isn't going to see any of that because it will be behind the scenes in their cabins.

Since the sailing is still open for booking to the general public, that means minors will be on board (such as the minors in your group). The cruise line will have to keep things under control to a very certain degree, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app