Regal Princess Muster Drill

igloo810

I know there was a thread not long ago regarding changes to muster drill and some ships didn't require to bring lifejackets. Has anybody recently been on the Regal Princess and if so were lifejacket required at the drill? Thanks for your help.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I know there was a thread not long ago regarding changes to muster drill and some ships didn't require to bring lifejackets. Has anybody recently been on the Regal Princess and if so were lifejacket required at the drill? Thanks for your help.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes they are required....

We brought ours last month on the Regal.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

When on the Royal in November life jackets had to be taken. I questioned the person in charge of our muster station and was told "it's maritime law".....told him that was strange because RC and Celebrity do not require the jackets...he just turned and walked away:rolleyes:

When on the Royal in November life jackets had to be taken. I questioned the person in charge of our muster station and was told "it's maritime law".....told him that was strange because RC and Celebrity do not require the jackets...he just turned and walked away:rolleyes:

Having been through RC muster drills, I expect many passengers would have no idea how to correctly put on a life jacket in case of a real emergency. The RC demo is useless as only the people standing in the front row can actually see it.

I prefer the Princess method.

When on the Regal in October sailing back to Lauderdale, the procedure was that those who had sailed with Princess before did not need to take their LJ to the muster station figuring that they knew how to put them on. Having sailed before hardly qualified most to be able to put them on correctly since they weren't listening before.

I would guess that Princess is thinking that by having everyone bring the jackets to the muster station is the best practice to ensure they can operate them correctly.

On Regal cruise, 11/30 o 12/7 life jackets were required at muster and had to be put on. The size of that ship clearly indicates that there should be a change in muster procedures. I will be writing a short review of the voyage later today and I will include the muster problems.

When on the Regal in October sailing back to Lauderdale, the procedure was that those who had sailed with Princess before did not need to take their LJ to the muster station figuring that they knew how to put them on. Having sailed before hardly qualified most to be able to put them on correctly since they weren't listening before.

I would guess that Princess is thinking that by having everyone bring the jackets to the muster station is the best practice to ensure they can operate them correctly.

When we were on the Regal in November - the first 7-day Caribbean sailing - all the announcements stated that we were to bring our life jackets to the muster drill, and the personnel did go over the life jacket procedure, as usual. But, there was one couple sitting near us in our Muster Station who did not bring life jackets and stated, as mentioned above (and as I had heard here on CC), that they were not required to bring their life jackets because they had sailed with Princess before. I didn't think to ask where they heard this until later, but considered perhaps they were B-to-B'ers, s there were a lot of them on from the prior short inaugural cruise.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

On Regal cruise, 11/30 o 12/7 life jackets were required at muster and had to be put on. The size of that ship clearly indicates that there should be a change in muster procedures. I will be writing a short review of the voyage later today and I will include the muster problems.

The muster stations are on Decks 6 and 7, midship. All cabin decks are above these and at the conclusion of the drill it is impossible to get an elevator to return to your cabin. That many people, all carrying life jackets quickly overload the elevators. It is a long climb from Deck 6 or 7 to Deck 14, 15 or 16. We waited until everything cleared and it took at least a half hour. The ship had not sailed yet so naturally most services were closed. Another problem is that in some of the stations there is no or limited seating. Not much of a problem for the drill, but if there is an actual emergency which requires being at muster stations for an extended period it would be a problem. They should look at the situation and perhaps hold the drills by staggering them by muster station.

It was pretty much a minor problem, but caused a bad start for many.

The muster stations are on Decks 6 and 7, midship. All cabin decks are above these and at the conclusion of the drill it is impossible to get an elevator to return to your cabin. That many people, all carrying life jackets quickly overload the elevators. It is a long climb from Deck 6 or 7 to Deck 14, 15 or 16. We waited until everything cleared and it took at least a half hour. The ship had not sailed yet so naturally most services were closed. Another problem is that in some of the stations there is no or limited seating. Not much of a problem for the drill, but if there is an actual emergency which requires being at muster stations for an extended period it would be a problem. They should look at the situation and perhaps hold the drills by staggering them by muster station.

Princess had been holding muster for a long time and I think they know what the best procedure is. ;)

If you think this is a problem then go stand in those cattle call muster drills for Carnival and HAL. They pack you in worse than sardines then scream at you over the air raid type speakers. I saw ill people who had to be helped inside after the HAL drill.

Here's how you handle muster drill - go early, get a good seat, meet new friends or read a good book. Then when everything is cleared out you can go back to your cabin or the sail away party. Couldn't be easier or more civil.

While we're on the topic of Regal muster drills I wanted to mention that when we were on the Regal last week they announced that not everyone gets a life "boat", that some are assigned the inflatable pods and that you board them by sliding down a tube. What?

When I looked over the railing of my cabin all I saw were those pods beneath me. Dang, this boat better not sink!

While we're on the topic of Regal muster drills I wanted to mention that when we were on the Regal last week they announced that not everyone gets a life "boat", that some are assigned the inflatable pods and that you board them by sliding down a tube.

Hopefully the pods are for the newbies with blue cruise cards. As an elite, I want the big lifeboat/tender with the champagne and caviar! :D A mini-MUTS would also be nice...

Edited by Av8tor

While we're on the topic of Regal muster drills I wanted to mention that when we were on the Regal last week they announced that not everyone gets a life "boat", that some are assigned the inflatable pods and that you board them by sliding down a tube. What?

When I looked over the railing of my cabin all I saw were those pods beneath me. Dang, this boat better not sink!

I suspect that passengers would only be put on a pod if some of the regular lifeboats were not able to be utilized. My guess is that a number of the crew would get assigned to the pods.

I suspect that passengers would only be put on a pod if some of the regular lifeboats were not able to be utilized. My guess is that a number of the crew would get assigned to the pods.

That wasn't the way the sentence was phrased at the muster drill. It was more like: " not every station is assigned a lifeboat, some will have pods and they are accessed by a chute you slide down"

I've seen some of these passengers ambling down the hall. If we have to wait for them to jump down a chute there's not much hope for those of us behind them in line.

If you think this is a problem then go stand in those cattle call muster drills for Carnival and HAL. They pack you in worse than sardines then scream at you over the air raid type speakers. I saw ill people who had to be helped inside after the HAL drill.

Here's how you handle muster drill - go early, get a good seat, meet new friends or read a good book. Then when everything is cleared out you can go back to your cabin or the sail away party. Couldn't be easier or more civil.

The other thing I find interesting is princess scans your card so they know you were there. Carnival has never scanned ours so how do they know we were at the drill?