question on latest smoking policy

tbmrt

Lol, I LOVE how some believe that the balconies on a ship are private space. They are not. They are outdoors. Your privacy expectations END at the door to your cabin... Be it the hallway door or the balcony door.

You want true privacy ? Stay in your cabin... With the lights off and the blinds drawn

I believe everyone should have an expectation of privacy in not having to turn out the lights and close the blinds to the stateroom without having some pervert next door standing up to the rail and peaking around the corner onto the balcony and into your stateroom.

Balconies are paid for space. It's not reasonable to think a balcony is not an extension of a particular cabin. They certainly are not common spaces where one would expect wide open and unprotected viewing. While people on balconies or belongings on balconies are visible from time to time by others, and that is a fact people are aware of, it is still not OK in my mind for those in adjacent cabins to intentionally reach over a structural barrier and spy on other guests.

I believe everyone should have an expectation of privacy in not having to turn out the lights and close the blinds to the stateroom without having some pervert next door standing up to the rail and peaking around the corner onto the balcony and into your stateroom.

So now the folks who lean on their OWN balcony railings and look out (up and down the ship) are perverts because they can SEE into the balcony next door?

You've never leaned on your railing, admiring the view, and GLANCED around? It's easy enough to see the folks on the balconies next to yours without even turning your head very far.

In case you didn't bother reading the other responses, there are MANY cameras on the outsides of the ship - most of which can see further into the balconies/staterooms than anyone glancing around from their balcony.

The only place you can expect privacy is in your cabin with your doors and curtains closed.

To close out this discussion - when I brought the photo to the front desk to complain, I mentioned that I had told the stewart about it and that nothing had been done. They told me that I had totally done the correct thing in bringing this evidence to them - this enabled them to confront the person before they could remove the cigarettes. This is a serious issue on a ship, they don't want people to think that they can smoke in the rooms or the balconies. Some people don't care - how many times have you been in a "smoke free hotel" and been barely able to stand walking down a hallway due to the smoke done anyway.

Celebrity had the authority to do something about the issue privately with the smoker.

I don't follow what happened in your example but if sex was visible and the ship was in port and the authorities have a rule about sex in public, I guess when in another country one better be careful.

If you think another guest took pictures of the sexy guys and ran to the authorities about what they saw, then we'd be basically on the same page with the idea of what's a bit extreme.

Again, getting back to the original poster, NO ONE has said she looked around the panels so these comments about privacy are totally irrelevant.

So now the folks who lean on their OWN balcony railings and look out (up and down the ship) are perverts because they can SEE into the balcony next door?

You've never leaned on your railing, admiring the view, and GLANCED around? It's easy enough to see the folks on the balconies next to yours without even turning your head very far.

The only place you can expect privacy is in your cabin with your doors and curtains closed.

No, I've often stood at the rail and looked up and down the ship. I'm talking about the a-hole who stands at the rail right next to the partition that separates your two balconies and sticks his head around the partition so he can peer directly into your stateroom. :rolleyes:

With your last statement, we should do away with our Peeping Tom laws. :eek:

No, I've often stood at the rail and looked up and down the ship. I'm talking about the a-hole who stands at the rail right next to the partition that separates your two balconies and sticks his head around the partition so he can peer directly into your stateroom. :rolleyes:

With your last statement, we should do away with our Peeping Tom laws. :eek:

So now you are differentiating between the folks who stand in the middle of their balcony, and those who stand at or near the partition and simply turn their heads.

Of course - that makes perfect sense...LOL

Roll your eyes if you like, but turning your head and seeing onto the balcony next to yours isn't invasion of anyone's privacy and it isn't perverted.

If you actually had to open a partition to look in, that would be a completely different story. If you climbed onto a railing to look in, that would also be a completely different story.

It's easy to see onto the balconies on either side. That's just a fact.

I would do exactly the same thing the OP did, if I saw (or smelled) someone smoking on their balcony.

Roll your eyes if you like, but turning your head and seeing onto the balcony next to yours isn't invasion of anyone's privacy and it isn't perverted.

It's easy to see onto the balconies on either side. That's just a fact.

Yes, it is easy to see on balconies, but you have to peer over and around to see the entire balcony, and peering over/around and looking into the stateroom is an invasion of everyone's privacy. I refer to it as a Peeping Tom. (Isn't there a law against that?) I keep my blinds open so I can see out into the ocean. I don't want to see your freaking head peering into my stateroom!!!

Yes, it is easy to see on balconies, but you have to peer over and around to see the entire balcony, and peering over/around and looking into the stateroom is an invasion of everyone's privacy. I refer to it as a Peeping Tom. (Isn't there a law against that?) I keep my blinds open so I can see out into the ocean. I don't want to see your freaking head peering into my stateroom!!!

LOL - you really just don't understand. Who said anyone was "peering over and around to see the entire balcony"?

A glance up or down, while standing or leaning on, and looking over from your OWN balcony railing will be plenty to see a table or chair with an ashtray on it.

No need to "peer over and around".

(And I doubt that anyone really wants to "peer into your stateroom" anyway.)

Anyone who says they don't "glance" at other balconies while they are leaning on the rail looking out at the ocean is simply lying. You can't help but see at least a little way into the other balconies on either side.

I'm about done with this topic. It really is silly. No one was a peeping tom.

Again, getting back to the original poster, NO ONE has said she looked around the panels so these comments about privacy are totally irrelevant.

What is your hypothesis on how this photo op occurred then? Through the partition? Under the three inches below it with a periscope?

Edited by MizDemeanor

I smelled smoke and was wondering how that was possible, so I looked over the side and saw ash tray & ciagtettes on their table. I took a photo of it and went immediately down to the third floor to report them. Some folks are just so inconsiderate.

This is how it was done.

It sure does happen.

What is your hypothesis on how this photo op occurred then? Through the partition? Under the three inches below it with a periscope?

I don't know and neither do you, because neither one of us saw the picture. I believe in proof and you have presented none. By the way if someone looked into your balcony by peering around the partitions, it is not considered a peeping tom. You are way overreacting to something for which you have no proof.

I checked and I see that I still happened to have kept the photo that I shoved to the security people at the front desk. Here it is, clear for all to see:mad:

Whoops I see that it does not appear. How do I connect a photo to this post?

I think that this discussion has gone on long enough though.

I don't know and neither do you, because neither one of us saw the picture. I believe in proof and you have presented none. By the way if someone looked into your balcony by peering around the partitions, it is not considered a peeping tom. You are way overreacting to something for which you have no proof.
Edited by michaelbyrns

The only time I noticed smoke on my sailing on the Silhouette was on the jogging track. Which I found a very odd place for smoking and honestly quite annoyed me since I went jogging/running on it almost every day and smoke just blew in my face on every lap. I hate running on treadmills...

Edited by kkittens

Totally agree with you about that. I use the track every sea day for walking, to do my 2.5 miles and sometimes you have to hold your breath from the stench.

The only time I noticed smoke on my sailing on the Silhouette was on the jogging track. Which I found a very odd place for smoking and honestly quite annoyed me since I went jogging/running on it almost every day and smoke just blew in my face on every lap. I hate running on treadmills...

For everyone who says it is not the whole port side, on a recent sailing, the entire port side, deck 10 (pool) was smoking, NOT just a small part. I can't say for deck 11. This is an M-Class ship in Asia, with a much different make-up of passengers than many sailings.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I agree, I also have a real problem with the smoke, it bothers my throat and teeth and try to avoid it. Too much smoking on these ships unfortunately. Last cruise, I even had a person smoking on their balcony in the next cabin, just my luck. I smelled smoke and was wondering how that was possible, so I looked over the side and saw ash tray & ciagtettes on their table. I took a photo of it and went immediately down to the third floor to report them. Some folks are just so inconsiderate.

I say good for you!! I've had a smoker next to me on an X cruise and I too could easily see them smoking - as in they stood at the railing. Later they stood further back because they heard me say to my husband that I couldn't believe they would just break the rules. I reported them and security did speak to them. After the smoking continued I taped the warning about the fine to their door - that finally got their attention. If you break the rules - then yes in my mind all bets are off and it I have to lean around to take a photo for proof - I'm going to do it.

I don't see much in that photo. Maybe I need to see it on a bigger screen.

But I can see enough of an overall perspective to be certain with my own set of values that I perceive the photo to be an invasion of privacy in some level. I would not do this but I understand that we all make our own rules.

Again, a discussion with guest relations would probably have sufficed with a taking point being the stewards were made aware and perhaps the guests had been non responsive so far. Its simply escalating an issue to a higher level as a next step.

I agree, I also have a real problem with the smoke, it bothers my throat and teeth and try to avoid it.

Smoke bothers your teeth? Now that's a new one I haven't heard.

I smelled smoke and was wondering how that was possible, so I looked over the side and saw ash tray & ciagtettes on their table. I took a photo of it and went immediately down to the third floor to report them.

So did the front desk give you one of those kiddie sheriff's badges? Do you usually peek around the partitions to see what your neighbors are up to?

Dear Michael,

we, personally do not find it OK. To demigrate simply the people, does not go at all. Whether , nevetheless smoking or not, this should leave to every person itself.

Kind regards

Martina