Favorite foods on a cruise

robthens

We've done our last few cruises on Windstar and I love the bread pudding they serve each day at lunch (sometimes plain, sometimes chocolate, etc.) and the grilled lobster served at the on-deck barbeque.

I don't think they serve them anymore, but on Celebrity my absolute favorite was the potato basket. It was a crisp waffle cut potato cup filled with crisp potato balls. Oh so yummy!!!!

• 1 month later...

Lobster!

Did I mention lobster?!

I love eggs Benedict, but I have to admit it's the hollandaise sauce, really.

Whoever said bacon- I second that, and raise you a sausage link. :D

The first food I remember eating on a cruise ship was my first-ever blood orange on the now-scrapped Stella Solaris. My two friends and I arrived early; none of the food venues were open but they did serve room service. I'll never forget the taste of that orange.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Martha enjoys deserts, especially the souffees.

I like the:

bread/butter

escargot

lobster

steaks

shrimp

exotic sampling

pasta bar on Celebrity Infinity buffet for lunch!

speciality restaurants

Beer

Martini's

Wine -prefer Red, Marth prefers White

carnival has the best cesars salad i have ever tasted i honestly believe that i go on these cruises just to get the salads i must have eaten 50 of them.

Yes! You are so right!!!! I have never had another Cesar salad as good as the ones on the ship!!!!:D

I love fruit soup....you can only seem to get it on cruises. I actually have made it and it's pretty easy. Unfortunately, it's full of cream. Good thing I never diet on vacation.

Joyce

I haven't cruised yet (June 10 on Mariner coming up!), but I make wonderful fruit soups at home from the Moosewood cookbook. They're yogurt-based, so not bad for you. Off the top of my head, for two people: 1 cup plain, lowfat yogurt (or use vanilla and less or no honey), 1 cup orange juice, honey to taste, dash of cinnamon. Whisk together and pour over chopped, chilled fruit (I like to use frozen mixed berries and let the soup sit for 10-20 minutes so they thaw--have to chop really big pieces like whole strawberries). Very refreshing on a hot day!

You can also substitute low-fat sour cream for the yogurt--especially nice with strawberries.

• 3 weeks later...

so far i've tried frogs legs and caviar, some crabs legs which were still in there shell casings, sushi, octopus head(!) and a variety of meats inculding horse, goat and peacock. and all have been very interst5ing and tasty!

is it just me or does anyone else feel the need to try random new foods whilst cruising?

Late night drunk grazing.... I remember more than once getting ready to go back to the room after a long day and stopping at the buffet to see what is available and making whatever comes to mind...

A plate of fries covered in gravy... you can't get that anywhere in the world at 1:30 in the morning... But you can on a cruise ship!!

A plate of fries covered in gravy... you can't get that anywhere in the world at 1:30 in the morning... But you can on a cruise ship!!

well, actually, from what i've experienced, most british chippies do chips(fries) in gravy at half one in the morning- theyre particularly tasty after a few beers and a doner kebab!(and a night out clubbing) hehe.

• 1 month later...

I've only done one cruise and that was on Carnival Miracle. Just loved the chocolate melting cake! Also enjoyed having ice cream anytime I wanted it but it would have been nice to have some toppings for it. I'm a chocoholic and would love the recipe for the chocolate melting cake.

Things I don't usually have at home:

escargot in garlic butter

calamari

lobster

caviar

smoked salmon with capers for breakfast (I recently noticed Kroger carries it so now I occasionally indulge) :)

Archived