Car Seats in the following ports

gosaints2006

Are you required to have a car seat in a cab in any of the following ports?

Montego Bay

Cozumel

Grand Cayman

Thanks!

Keep in mind that many of these countries don't have laws fot the use of car seats.Meaning that cars aren't prepared to handle them.

What I'm asking is if I decide to take a taxi somewhere, are we going to have a problem if we do not have the seat? I know of other transportation services and I know not all of these countries have those laws. I'm just making sure that the ones I listed do not so I can plan accordingly. Thanks.

Keep in mind that many of these countries don't have laws fot the use of car seats.Meaning that cars aren't prepared to handle them.

What does "aren't prepared to handle them" mean? This is just not true. If you mean they don't have seat belts, you can always find a cab with working seat belts. I am not sure anyway what difference "the law" makes. The laws of physics aren't suspended because you are on vacation.

Cayman Islands law (Traffic Law 2003 (revision) section 70 states requires that all children sit in the back seat and use the correct child restraint until they are either 53 inches (135 cm) in height or twelve years of age (whichever they reach first), wear a seatbelt and, if under the age of 14, must sit in the rear of the vehicle. It also states that a rear facing child's car seat must not be fitted in a seat with a front airbag.

Mexican law requires both the driver and front seat passenger to wear seat belts, but passengers in the back seat do not have to do so. Children under the age of 12 should sit in the back seat. Children under the age of five must sit in a carseat fastened by the car seat belt in the back seat.

Jamaica is lax about everything. About all they possibly enforce is that children 12 and under must sit in the back seat, children under four are supposed to be in car seats, and front seat passenger and driver must wear seat belts. It's a crazy place to travel and there's no way I would place my child in a car in Jamaica without the correct restraint.

Edited by 6rugrats

What does "aren't prepared to handle them" mean? This is just not true. If you mean they don't have seat belts, you can always find a cab with working seat belts.

[.

No, you can't.

OP to answer your question, you are not required to have a car seat in any of those ports. Bringing one is up to you. Keep in mind that many, actually most all, taxis will not have working seat belts which of course renders a car seat not only useless to the child but dangerous to everyone it could possibly hit. Also busses, trucks and even open air shuttles are common. None of which have any seat belts.

If you are concerned, it is best to pick excursions that are walking distance from the dock.

No, you can't.

OP to answer your question, you are not required to have a car seat in any of those ports. Bringing one is up to you. Keep in mind that many, actually most all, taxis will not have working seat belts which of course renders a car seat not only useless to the child but dangerous to everyone it could possibly hit. Also busses, trucks and even open air shuttles are common. None of which have any seat belts.

If you are concerned, it is best to pick excursions that are walking distance from the dock.

Actually most taxis will not have working seat belts I don't know why this fallacy is constantly posted. If you are willing to look, I have found taxis with seat belts in all ports OP has listed, and in fact, in every place in the world I have visited. Are car seats a PITA? Yes. Is keeping your child safe worth it? Yes. If you don't want to carry a seat, take transportation that doesn't require it, or walk. Or not. It's your choice. Decide what you can live with if something happens.

If you don't want to carry a seat, take transportation that doesn't require it, or walk. Or not. It's your choice. Decide what you can live with if something happens.

But don't walk by a road. In a collision between a car and a pedestrian, you're far better off in the car than on the pavement - even if you don't have a seat belt.

But don't walk by a road. In a collision between a car and a pedestrian, you're far better off in the car than on the pavement - even if you don't have a seat belt.

This is not what this discussion is about. Not sure why you posted this.

This is not what this discussion is about. Not sure why you posted this.

Just that you recommended walking as an alternative to riding without a car seat, and I wanted to make it clear that walking on a footpath by a road is not a safer option. Walking tours are only safer if they keep away from roads. The laws of probability don't change because you're on holiday. ;)

Edited by dsrdsrdsr