Cozumel questions

Molly401

Will be spending day in Cozumel with my teen. Have done the dolphin swim and am thinking about zip line but much of what I have read isnt too encouraging. Any thoughts? Also, does anyone know of a laid back beach perhaps a taxi ride away from the port area where you can eat, maybe do some water activities or even a massage on the beach? We will be coming into Cozumel having spent a day at sea so I think we will need some activity.

Plenty of beaches with activities or as laid back as you wish.

For a teen, look at Playa Mia, Paradise Beach or Mr Sanchos. All have plenty of water activities available ala carte and minimal entrance fees. For teen tastes (and non-"foodie" adults) the food is good at all places. For adults there's good alcoholic drinks too.

Let me say that I don't mean "non-foodie" in any derogatory way. Rather the food is not prepared with a Rick Bayless/Roberto Santibanez/Jose Andres style of gourmet spin on mainland Mexican food, nor is it the traditional Yucatan style you might find at Casa Denis or La Choza downtown which "foodies" seek out as opposed to more typical "tourista or Tex-Mex styles most cruisers are familiar with.

Edited by crewsweeper

Most of the popular beach clubs in Coz are lined up along the same side of the island, so the water and sand quality will be similar - the variation comes in the facilities/equipment, atmosphere, and business model.

I would research the beach clubs suggested above and choose the one that fits your deisres/needs. You can do research on this board as well as on trip advisor and the individual web sites for each beach club.

Another option for budget snorkeling from the shore is the Money Bar - no beach, you enter the water via steps, with great facilities and good food/drinks/service. Check out their web site and trip advisor reviews.

Good luck! :)

For a teen, Paradise Beach might be a good option. $14 for a cab up to 4 people each way. There is a $3 charge for arm bands for the chairs, pool, showers, general facilities. They also ask you spend $10 on food/drink per person while you are there. For an additional $15 per band (but it can be just part of your party) you get access to the water toys, kayaks, paddle boards, trampoline, and a coconut climbing tree activity. In the states you can't come anywhere close to a paddle board for $15 so it can be a neat way to try one out at a reasonable price.

We just came back from there and will likely do it again in October. There is enough or as little to suit each person. I've got some pictures, but there are plenty of others floating around out there too.

10425365_915723525105592_3869739375386383937_n.jpg?dl=0

A teen under 16 Paradise beach is great. 16-19 Dune buggies. We've done both and enjoyed them. In February we are doing the dune buggies again. It includes snorkeling, lunch, State Park, Tequila Museum, but some one in your party must know how to drive standard. We had guys in one with my husband driving and girls in the other with me driving :) Had to get used to shifting (it was different looser than my Miata).

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Will research Paradise Beach

Still curious as to any beachside massages. We cruised several years ago and did this somewhere on a beach that I cant recall (hell getting older!) and she just loved it. As a mother of a teen, am trying to recreate anything that has a positive rememberance.

Still curious as to any beachside massages. We cruised several years ago and did this somewhere on a beach that I cant recall (hell getting older!) and she just loved it. As a mother of a teen, am trying to recreate anything that has a positive rememberance.

Some of the Coz beaches have massages, can't recall which ones. Should be one of the amenities listed on the web sites. But beach massages are almost de-rigor at every place along the Mahahual maelcon in Costa Maya.

Massages are available at both Mr. Sanchos and Nachi Cocom - I'm not sure about Paradise Beach. :confused:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that about Paradise. They do have a massage cabana there as well. I didn't check out the prices though. Hanging in the hammock watching the water was relaxing enough :p

But yes, massages are fairly standard at any of the locations mentioned. Enjoy!

My son was 16 when we went to Money Bar. He LOVED it! We are going again in January. He said he definitely wanted to go back to Money Bar. He loves to snorkel and hang out. I know they have massages for purchase. As mentioned, check their website and reviews on Trip Advisor and here.

• 4 weeks later...

Very inexpensive massages--like $20 for 30 min.

We will be heading there in March...glad someone listed the prices of everything. It will be DM, DH & the 3 teens...so 2 cabs each way...6 wrist bands...$60+ food/drink...guessing $45 for the additional bands for the kids...OK, $200 minimum!! :eek:But such a great day!