Ft Laud Il Lugano to become Residence Inn

royalcruz

The Il Lugano condo hotel was sold in August and will be changing names very soon to Marriott Residence Inn. The units are efficiencies and suites and are very nice. The neighborhood is full of restaurants, on the intracoastal waterway, and there is a Walgreens and the ocean 2 blocks away. The cons are the pool is just ok (it's not a resort), and it is about 7 miles from the port and 10 from the airport, so about $35/ride or pay for parking.

Other recent plays in the Ft Lauderdale hotel industry...

Sheraton Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort (formerly the Yankee Clipper) has been sold and is now the B Ocean Ft Lauderdale Beach.

The former B Ocean Ft Lauderdale has been sold and is now the Sonesta Fort Lauderdale.

Doubletree Bahia Mar was sold this summer...the plans are being worked out.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi Royalcruz,

I was reading on another board that the Westin Beach has also been sold with the closing date set sometime in December. Have you heard anything about that?

Here's an article about it: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-more-lauderdale-beach-hotel-sales-20141113-story.html

I'm wondering if they'll stay a Westin and still honor our points stay at the end of December. If you hear anything on this hotel, could you post here?

Hi Royalcruz,

I was reading on another board that the Westin Beach has also been sold with the closing date set sometime in December. Have you heard anything about that?

Here's an article about it: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-more-lauderdale-beach-hotel-sales-20141113-story.html

I'm wondering if they'll stay a Westin and still honor our points stay at the end of December. If you hear anything on this hotel, could you post here?

Yes, Westin was part of the Sheraton deal. We'll have to wait to see who will be the operator.

Wow...I won't know the place. Tough to teach this old dog some new tricks.:D

Who bought Bahia Mar?

A group of 3 investment companies bought Bahia Mar from Blackstone Group in July. There are no immediate plans to remove Doubletree as the hotel operator. The new owners are considering adding a condo/office/dining/shopping building on the property.