Disney Dream Drydock

nachos26usa

Nothing official has been announced yet. My understanding is that this is the required routine maintenance. Reimagining? No, the Magic waited 15 years for that. This will be the very first dry dock for the Dream. Some minor changes--possibly. Anything major--no.

Edited by moki'smommy

I agree' date=' nothing like the magic, however I would expect the same additions the Fantasy had when she came out of the yard.............the Satellite falls and the water playground for the kids, etc.

AKK[/quote']

Satellite falls was exactly the item I was anticipating might happen!:)

Edited by moki'smommy

I would be surpirised if they didn't add the BB Boutique also.

Maybe. The problem with the boutique is 4000 passengers and a 3 or 4 night cruise. They don't want to have tons of disappointed guests. Of course, the lack of a formal night might decrease the demand. Even on a 7 night cruise on the Fantasy, some guests are unable to get the booking they want and at times can't get any booking at all.

I've always wondered if it was a conscious decision to not put this on the Dream due to the short cruises she is doing for the forseeable future. The Dream fills the niche of "I want to go on Disney but I have to do a short cruise (for whatever reason--money, first time cruiser trying it out, limited time off, ???) Frankly,unless I had a good reason for the short cruise, it would not be my choice. BUT any cruise is better than no cruise. And for DCL, the shorter the cruise, the higher the per diem on board spending.

Several years ago, the Magic had a pseudo-boutique on some of the longer cruises--basically it was a blocked off area of the gift shop with a couple of CMs doing the fancy stuff. I think that was sort of the trial run on the ships as this was well after the boutique was a major profit center on land..

Edited by moki'smommy

Maybe. The problem with the boutique is 4000 passengers and a 3 or 4 night cruise. They don't want to have tons of disappointed guests. Of course' date=' the lack of a formal night might decrease the demand. Even on a 7 night cruise on the Fantasy, some guests are unable to get the booking they want and at times can't get any booking at all.

I've always wondered if it was a conscious decision to not put this on the Dream due to the short cruises she is doing for the forseeable future. The Dream fills the niche of "I want to go on Disney but I have to do a short cruise (for whatever reason--money, first time cruiser trying it out, limited time off, ???) Frankly,unless I had a good reason for the short cruise, it would not be my choice. BUT any cruise is better than no cruise. And for DCL, the shorter the cruise, the higher the per diem on board spending.

Several years ago, the Magic had a pseudo-boutique on some of the longer cruises--basically it was a blocked off area of the gift shop with a couple of CMs doing the fancy stuff. I think that was sort of the trial run on the ships as this was well after the boutique was a major profit center on land..[/quote']

That's a good point about scheduling. Although, perhaps the demand will not be as great on the shorter cruises. If, as you suggested, some people may have chosen the shorter cruise becasue of financial reasons...they may not look to splurge at BBB. Also, since it a short cruise, families may not want to allocate the time for it. It is indeed such a money-maker, that's why I would be surprised if they didn't add it. Plus, isn't the area where it is on the Fantasy some kind of little-used conference space on the Dream currently? BBB would generate a lot more revenue.

The Dream fills the niche of "I want to go on Disney but I have to do a short cruise (for whatever reason--money' date=' first time cruiser trying it out, limited time off, ???) Frankly,unless I had a good reason for the short cruise, it would not be my choice. BUT any cruise is better than no cruise. [/quote'] Add "splitting time with Parks and Cruise" to your list. :)

Wasn't the Dream drydock initially schedule for a shorter time frame than currently planned?

I believe at some point they extended the drydock therefore canceling exsisting sailings already in place. IOW, sailings were cancelled to extend drydock, therefore more "tweaks" will occur during drydock. Which if true, IMO, implies the Dream may receive some of the venues and bennies that she lacks, that the Fantasy currently has.

IMO

:)

ETA; Most can only wish she will receive all the Fantasy tweaks.

And the crew can only dream unfortunately.

Edited by bear3412

In the past during "routine" dry docks, the ships have undergone various changes to the guest areas as well as cleaning, replacement of things like carpet, and general spiffing up. There is no reason that they can't do things that guests will SEE as well as required maintenance and safety checks.

Hi there! I'm not well versed on the cruising industry like most of you are.

I have a question about this dry dock. Will it be over by December 4th? My family has our first DCL cruise booked for Dec 4, 2015. We'll be ok right?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi there! I'm not well versed on the cruising industry like most of you are.

I have a question about this dry dock. Will it be over by December 4th? My family has our first DCL cruise booked for Dec 4, 2015. We'll be ok right?

Thanks in advance! :)

Yes, the ship will be out of dry dock before that. From what I'm seeing, the October 26 cruise will be the first after the dry dock.

..... There is no reason that they can't do things that guests will SEE ....

Well, if my understanding of an extended/expanded drydock is correct, then I can almost guarantee noticeable changes that all pax will SEE.

Whether they are the ones "we" want to SEE, is perhaps material for another thread.

Most can only hope for changes that align the two sisters. Yet ....

I still feel some of the changes expected on the Dream are challenging for DCL. But at the same time offer DCL an opportunity to surprise us all, as they do consistently.

DCL continues to surprise me. And I hope they continue to do so aboard, and in the shipyard.

Who knows what is next, ... Aqua Depth, Shoot, Shot, Birth, Lunge, Fish, Drunk ....

I'm looking forward to DCL's latest and greatest.

I can only hope it fulfills everyone's hearts.

Edited by bear3412

I agree' date=' nothing like the magic, however I would expect the same additions the Fantasy had when she came out of the yard.............the Satellite falls and the water playground for the kids, etc.

AKK[/quote']

Some of us older folks use Satellite Falls too. It was a nice addition to see on the Fantasy. While nothing too elaborate, my DS and I played in there a few times while waiting for the Aquaduck line to go down later in the afternoon.

There were also a few people in their 20s basically body surfing - they would slide across the area and I was thinking that could be a problem in terms of getting cut or a burn rash but seemed to be plenty of water there so it worked. Having it on the Fantasy is nice to have a bit more pool type action vs. the Dream.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure when you used the internet, but in the last year it is infinitely better than a few years ago. As to cost--again since they started basing it on mb used rather than time, costs have decreased significantly. (OK, I guess that depends on what you use it for). I don't look for another cost decrease. And I have no personal experience as to whether the Dream is currently functioning at the same level as the Magic, but my 20something was very happy with the service on the Magic and Fantasy.

They don't need a dry dock to upgrade the internet!

AKK[/quote']

Thats quite a feat of engineering to provide for 2 new pools Skipper!

Hope they do!

ex techie

With respect moki'smommy,

Those "pools" that only have say a foot of water in them, then the water that is held below, the water that is being sterilized, and pumped back up all equate to a hell of a lot of water!!! Tonnes of water and processing plant.

And thats assuming that the engineering spaces below the deck were built on the Dream to accommodate that they have on the Fantasy, and the Fantasy doesn't need extra modification in those areas.

It is possible. Anything's possible!

I would think the additional shade structures would be added. But two new pools in two weeks......

We will see.

ex techie

Never meant to imply that water processing wasn't involved. Actually, I figured it was somehow handled by the same systems that process the pool water. We're talking an inch or two of water, but the need for cleaning and processing of that water is exactly the same.

Guess we'll see what's planned for the Dream about the time she's finished with the dry dock!

Never meant to imply that water processing wasn't involved. Actually' date=' I figured it was somehow handled by the same systems that process the pool water. We're talking an inch or two of water, but the need for cleaning and processing of that water is exactly the same.

Guess we'll see what's planned for the Dream about the time she's finished with the dry dock![/quote']

The hard part is all of the plumbing and equipment under the deck that you never see.