New to Cruise Air - How much more than booking your own?

Mud_Shark

We have just taken our first cruise in October, but it round tripped from our home town in Vancouver so no Air travel needed.

For our next one, we will cruise the Caribbean in September. We will fly Seattle to Orlando several days early and enjoy some time at Universal etc first, then head down to Fort Lauderdale for the cruise.

Question -- Can you get cruise air one way? (we would need it only for the return to Seattle.)

Question -- How much more is cruise air than booking your own flights online? A ball park figure? Right now, although prices fluctuate, a direct flight from FLL to SEA is around $250 Canadian one way. Will we get cruise air at a price relatively close to that mark, or would we expect to pay $100 more per ticket or maybe even more?

I would be willing to pay a little more for the security involved if there is a late return to port or something, but we will take our chances if cruise air is more than about $50-60 per ticket over internet pricing air fares.

Thanks for any help.

Don

I would be willing to pay a little more for the security involved if there is a late return to port or something, but we will take our chances if cruise air is more than about $50-60 per ticket over internet pricing air fares.

There is no "security involved" when buying tickets through the cruiseline. In fact, often there far more restrictions than with tickets purchased yourself.

I highly recommend you read the sticky at the top of the forum for more info on just what a cruiseline provided ticket involves.

We have just taken our first cruise in October, but it round tripped from our home town in Vancouver so no Air travel needed.

For our next one, we will cruise the Caribbean in September. We will fly Seattle to Orlando several days early and enjoy some time at Universal etc first, then head down to Fort Lauderdale for the cruise.

Question -- Can you get cruise air one way? (we would need it only for the return to Seattle.)

Question -- How much more is cruise air than booking your own flights online? A ball park figure? Right now, although prices fluctuate, a direct flight from FLL to SEA is around $250 Canadian one way. Will we get cruise air at a price relatively close to that mark, or would we expect to pay $100 more per ticket or maybe even more?

Thanks for any help.

Don

Curious... Why do you only need a return flight?

Have you checked with an on-line site for a price on a flight/hotel/park/pre-cruise package ?

I will go there! Feeling that way this morning to tell it like it is. Go to the airline that you wish to use or check several and pick the one that has the time and price that you want. You will need to do 2 one way tickets or a single ticket with multiple destinations whatever works out best in price or convenience. Can even do a one way with 2 airlines if that works out better. Watch the prices for a bit and see what the price is for the period of time you are using. Weds. and Thursday are often the cheaper times to fly and probably for return out of FLL 11 AM is OK but will be very expensive. All those cruise passengers have impact.

In My Opinion: You are always best off being the customer of the airline that you are flying. Price is not the only factor! A good deal gets you to where you want to go at the most convenient time and with the most comfort AND you must define what those factors are then ask "is this combination worth this price". Your thinking and working out these factors make a good deal -- and no travel agency, cruise line, or 3rd party booking agency will think about the best deal for you like you will! Try it and see how you do. There is no magic wand to make tickets from one provider fulfill your needs. Good Luck.

I would post this question on the cruise line thread you are traveling with to get first hand information on the merits of cruise air. Many on this forum assume any delays are the result of airlines but all to often it is the result of the cruise line. Cruise ships can be late, early, or arrive at a different port. Today the Explorer of the Seas announced it will arrive a day late due to a medical emergency. I have had first hand experiences with a ship arriving late and I wish I had cruise air for that experience because trying to make arrangements in the middle of the ocean can be challenging. Those with cruise air on that trip had their air taken care of for them.

Shak

We scout the prices for awhile in the airline websites or ITA Software. This gives you a starting point. You can then call Princess to see what they can do. in general we find it better to book domestic flights thru the airline. Very often we get better pricing (and, more importantly, scheduling) for trans-oceanic flights thru Princess.

Some of the Princess domestic flight itineraries can be creative, by which I mean all over creation before you get there.

Steve