Quantum Complaints-your own fault?

tx121

With all the complaints about the inaugural cruise on the Quantum, a lot of them seem predetermined and avoidable. Many people complained about booking show reservations and dining....well if you didn't want a rigid schedule during your vacation, then why did you book this ship? Many people complained they wanted the same waiters and servers every night...with Dynamic dining it was known that you wouldn't have the same waiter every night like traditional dining. Lines for the north star and ifly? Yes you will have to wait just like when you wait for a ride at a theme park. When you have a attraction that can only accommodate a certain amount of people at a time, yes you will be waiting just like when you go to Disney World and wait for a ride for almost an hour or more. Again, rides there break down too, it is frustrating but isn't your safety more important?

As far as technology not working 100%, it happens. Again, the first few sailings on a brand new ship will have its flaws especially in this area. Why book the Quantum if you know that first sailings are shakedown cruises?

I really hate when you read reviews and all you read are the negatives of the cruise and nothing positive.

The one thing I think is a legitimate complaint is the lack of activities which stems down to the cruise director being lazy. No quest, belly flop contest, sailawayparty,love and marriage, 70s? Jimmy Rhodes--shame on you!!

I'm guessing some people are just so unhappy with life in general that they just focus on the negatives. A vacation is what you make of it.

When life throws you lemons, move on and make lemonade. Don't dwell in it and be so sour. :D

Edited by tx121

With all the complaints about the inaugural cruise on the Quantum, a lot of them seem predetermined and avoidable. Many people complained about booking show reservations and dining....well if you didn't want a rigid schedule during your vacation, then why did you book this ship? Many people complained they wanted the same waiters and servers every night...with Dynamic dining it was known that you wouldn't have the same waiter every night like traditional dining. Lines for the north star and ifly? Yes you will have to wait just like when you wait for a ride at a theme park. When you have a attraction that can only accommodate a certain amount of people at a time, yes you will be waiting just like when you go to Disney World and wait for a ride for almost an hour or more. Again, rides there break down too, it is frustrating but isn't your safety more important?

As far as technology not working 100%, it happens. Again, the first few sailings on a brand new ship will have its flaws especially in this area. Why book the Quantum if you know that first sailings are shakedown cruises?

I really hate when you read reviews and all you read are the negatives of the cruise and nothing positive.

The one thing I think is a legitimate complaint is the lack of activities which stems down to the cruise director being lazy. No quest, belly flop contest, sailawayparty,love and marriage, 70s? Jimmy Rhodes--shame on you!!

I'm guessing some people are just so unhappy with life in general that they just focus on the negatives. A vacation is what you make of it.

When life throws you lemons, move on and make lemonade. Don't dwell in it and be so sour. :D

And then there are those people who read reviews that they are not forced to and then complain about them. I'm happy to read people's opinions good or bad. I can put things into perspective well enough.

....well if you didn't want a rigid schedule during your vacation, then why did you book this ship?

That's the problem with your argument. Most people on these beginning sailing of Quantum booked this ship as soon as the booking opened - they had no idea what they were signing up for at that time.

For an honest comparison I would go pull early reviews of the Oasis, NCL Breakaway, and NCL Epic. All new classes, with a number of new features, launched in an era when more people are using sites like CC than ever before (which means more reviews).

I haven't done this, but I am aware at some of the common complaints of both of those NCL ships when they were first launched.

Based on what I have read Quantum doesn't have any notable design flaws. The issues with the North Star hydraulics should be able to be fixed if they haven't already (heck if they can work for crab fisherman off Alaska they can work off the coast of NJ).

You can complain about ship-wide MTD/ATD, but it *is* the way the industry is moving (mass market at least).

Entertainment reservations I'm on the fence about; comedy club aside they didn't even seem necessary on Oasis, and this was with a full ship. Even then, many people in the comedy club wait list line got in. Seeing as there are more entertainment options than ever, this may just be the way things have to be.

I've been cruising for 19 years (41 years old now), and I much prefer the way things are today. I miss getting to know my wait staff, but those guys are so busy these days that the relationship wouldn't be the same anyway. I'm much happier being able to customize my vacation exactly as I want, as early as I want (well, when the booking window opens), or even that same day if needed.

The bright side is that all these new cruise ships give companies the cash to build new ships, which gets people excited (even if they are new cruisers), which then gives them more cash to build new ships/refurb existing. Celebrity used their success to announce 2 new ships that are much smaller than what has been announced in recent memory, which gives "old time" (but not old mind you) cruisers some interesting options a few years down the road.

For what people paid for those cruises you would have thought that the issuses that they encountered would have been a non factor. Its not like RCL has never rolled out a new ship before or that the crew never worked on a ship before. Just a thought.

And then there are those people who read reviews that they are not forced to and then complain about them. I'm happy to read people's opinions good or bad. I can put things into perspective well enough.

And then there are those who choose to read this post and they are not forced to and then complain about them. I read all reviews not because I'm forced to.I read the good and bad ones and compare them to my experience. It's just very strange to me when people have nothing good that came out of their cruise. Kind of like when people say that the food in the buffet was inedible.

So we aren't supposed to complain about DD until we try it (that's been the constant refrain from those that like the idea) and now we cant complain about it if we do try it (because we shouldn't have tried it, if we didn't think we would like it).

So basically DD should only get good reviews and become the wave of the future :)

And you having done a cruise on the Quantum what are your thoughts?

I think the original poster was really trying to say is how some people can just complain all the time and not write anything positive in a review. For me, the bad reviews I take with a grain of salt. I appreciate the ones that actually have substance and are more balanced with the good and the bad. I do agree with the OP that some people just like to rant and have nothing good to say..I feel sorry for those people.

And then there are those who choose to read this post and they are not forced to and then complain about them. I read all reviews not because I'm forced to.I read the good and bad ones and compare them to my experience. It's just very strange to me when people have nothing good that came out of their cruise. Kind of like when people say that the food in the buffet was inedible.

Really, where did I complain about your post? Please point it out.

I will agree with much of what you said but not all. I don't think what you consider as the one "legitimate complaint" anything but your opinion. We were on the Inaugural and did not find Jimmy Rhodes to be lazy. He's charming and personable AND hard-working. Quest? I believe it was a corporate decision not to have that game on the ship and nothing to do with Jimmy. I don't know if RCI will reconsider but I have the feeling they won't. Bell flop contest? The weather really wasn't conducive, in the first place, but outside of that I'm not entirely certain RCI will be having pool games like that (just my opinion). The deck really doesn't seem large enough. The Quantum is not configured like the other ship with open areas around the pool for people to stand and watch. It's pretty tight around the pool. Sailaway party? Well, I'm stumped about that, to an extent. Maybe the reasoning is that the NYC skyline, the 911 monument, and going under the Verazzano Narrows Bridge enough of a thrill without a steel band in the background? I have to add, however, that on other days there was live music at the pool and it was fantastic. Quantum has some really talented musicians. Love & Marriage? It wasn't held on our Inaugural but it has been on subsequent cruises. 70s party? It's been totally revamped and it was a lot of fun. Don't expect Village People. Do expect Superfly. :D

As pointed out in an earlier post, many bookings were made over a year before information about Q was even being speculated about. At that time, the push was to get passengers to book. No information was forth coming about DD. Passengers were either selecting MTD or traditional when they made their bookings.

The biggest gap was getting any information on the ship and what would be on it. Bumper cars was the one thing that was always put out there. Even the reserving of shows was not mentioned. Just as the assumption that there would be a main promendade and an ice show.

Definitely cannot shift the blame on passengers. RCCL bears a lot the responsibility by not giving information out. Passengers felt "tricked" into expecting what up until this point had become the norm with some additional features added similar to the Oasis -- not a complete departure from everything that went before Q.

We started questioning our decision about booking Q because of the lack of info first and then when details started coming out, we backed away fully knowing it was not what we wanted in a cruise.

MARAPRINCE

As pointed out in an earlier post, many bookings were made over a year before information about Q was even being speculated about. At that time, the push was to get passengers to book. No information was forth coming about DD. Passengers were either selecting MTD or traditional when they made their bookings.

The biggest gap was getting any information on the ship and what would be on it. Bumper cars was the one thing that was always put out there. Even the reserving of shows was not mentioned. Just as the assumption that there would be a main promendade and an ice show.

Definitely cannot shift the blame on passengers. RCCL bears a lot the responsibility by not giving information out. Passengers felt "tricked" into expecting what up until this point had become the norm with some additional features added similar to the Oasis -- not a complete departure from everything that went before Q.

We started questioning our decision about booking Q because of the lack of info first and then when details started coming out, we backed away fully knowing it was not what we wanted in a cruise.

MARAPRINCE

OP, I think this addresses a lot of your concerns.

I'm one of those who booked before DD was announced. At first I thought uh-oh, but quickly decided I will not go hungry and will still do what I want when I want. If I'm sick of the crowds, my balcony and a book is all I need.

Yes, I have booked some restaurants already but I reserve the right to change things as I see fit.

Many cruises I've been on produced norovirus, missed ports, bad weather and up-charging. Sure, I've experienced some bad service at times and a few screw ups. Things turned out fine in the end.

Any cruise that doesn't end up at the bottom of the ocean is good enough for me.

I'm one of those who booked before DD was announced. At first I thought uh-oh, but quickly decided I will not go hungry and will still do what I want when I want. If I'm sick of the crowds, my balcony and a book is all I need.

Yes, I have booked some restaurants already but I reserve the right to change things as I see fit.

Many cruises I've been on produced norovirus, missed ports, bad weather and up-charging. Sure, I've experienced some bad service at times and a few screw ups. Things turned out fine in the end.

Any cruise that doesn't end up at the bottom of the ocean is good enough for me.

Hear, hear. I sail on the Quantum on Friday. As long as there's no icebergs involved or the bars run dry, I'll be fine.

The only information that I have received about the Quantum has been from CC. There have been a lot of reviews outlining things that have gone wrong.

Some of the reviews have been very balanced and specific to what issues they have encountered.

I am confident that RC will certainly address the IT/technology issues. The fact that people couldn't get into their cabins with their keys, or their charges/passcards were mixed with other passengers is a huge mistake. Since Q is their new baby, I presume heads will be rolling if RC doesn't resolve the IT/Technology issues within the next month.

DD is a different problem--you either like it or you don't, and I don't see RC changing it on Oasis and Quantum classes. Again if the reservations had been in the system as booked, perhaps, there would not have been as many bad reviews.

In terms of Customer Service, I can almost see a crew member trying to get an app to come up on an iPad. Just because some of us can work on one with our eyes closed doesn't mean that they can. I also know that the learning curve for technology is pretty high. Give the crew to get over the shock and learn the ship, their jobs and the technology, they will be comparable or better than any other RC ship.

Unfortunately, these first sailings have perhaps been equivalent to trial runs for the ship.

I am quite excited too about Superfly.... I didnt actually know what that was so went away and searched and am very happy! Well, I say I am happy - I only know one other Curtis Mayfield song - but I know I like it! I too am sick of Abba and YMCA.... I worked in a 70s themed nightclub and used to get so fed up heraring the same songs night after night.... you would never know they had a whole decade to choose from. I used to like Edwin Starr as well. CONTACT!!!!!!!!!!!

OP, I think this addresses a lot of your concerns.

The biggest "mistake" that RCCL made was to mislead passengers booking over a year out that Q would be similar in many way to the Oasis. Either they wanted to keep everything super secret or they forgot to tell their booking staff that the Q would break the mold!:confused:

If there was even a small hint dropped that Q would be very different from every other ship, may be, just may be some of the earliest booking passengers would not have felt they were misled.

Many of the IT systems required for booking meals and shows were not working properly along with the wrist bands. How about some of the passengers thinking that their pre sailing photos had been loaded into the system along with the luggage tracking only to find out new photo were required when checking in. But I think the best by far was having some luggage not delivered until 2 PM on day 2! Or, the tablets losing the food orders and the waiter coming back to the table with a pad and pencil or the robotic bartenders not functioning properly and breaking things.

You could sell all the mishaps as a film comedy. Folks, you can't make this stuff up!:D

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

The biggest "mistake" that RCCL made was to mislead passengers booking over a year out that Q would be similar in many way to the Oasis. Either they wanted to keep everything super secret or they forgot to tell their booking staff that the Q would break the mold!:confused:

If there was even a small hint dropped that Q would be very different from every other ship, may be, just may be some of the earliest booking passengers would not have felt they were misled.

Many of the IT systems required for booking meals and shows were not working properly along with the wrist bands. How about some of the passengers thinking that their pre sailing photos had been loaded into the system along with the luggage tracking only to find out new photo were required when checking in. But I think the best by far was having some luggage not delivered until 2 PM on day 2! Or, the tablets losing the food orders and the waiter coming back to the table with a pad and pencil or the robotic bartenders not functioning properly and breaking things.

You could sell all the mishaps as a film comedy. Folks, you can't make this stuff up!:D

MARAPRINCE

My favourite quote from RCCL in Quantum reveals etc ..."curb to ship in 10 minutes"...it was nearly 3 hours for many of us in Southampton. :eek:

MARAPRINCE

I booked before DD was revealed and I chose early traditional. Because we are a group, the on board coordinator has us reserved for 6 p.m. dining, first night Silk, second Chic, third the Grande, and fourth American Icon, then we repeat the process. We are on the 10-night sailing

My favourite quote from RCCL in Quantum reveals etc ..."curb to ship in 10 minutes"...it was nearly 3 hours for many of us in Southampton. :eek:

Fully agree. Not their finest moment in Southampton. There were rumors that the tablets used by the customer service staff in Southampton for check in only arrived on the Sunday morning but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else.