Why does every Quebec City call include an overnight?

After greatly enjoying a New England/Canada itinerary this year, I'm looking for others, and seeing a number that are one way to or from Quebec City. Yet almost all of them include and overnight stop either arriving or departing (and meaning that the ship stays 3 whole days there). Why is this? Some regulation from Quebec or the St. Lawrence Seaway? Ships stop in Vancouver, Victoria, Halifax, Saint John, Sydney, and Charlottetown without an overnight all the time.

On that topic, I'm curious how this works. Presumably you have to show up embarkation day to check in, so you can't just come the next day. But can you disembark early, choosing not to stay that last night? What's to stop you from taking your luggage off and leaving? Vacation days are at a premium for me.

Look at HAL Maasdam for a cruise that does not do an overnight in Quebec. We were on Vendam, which did do the overnight. I do not know if we could have left the ship early. We chose the Vendam because of the overnight.

Look at HAL Maasdam for a cruise that does not do an overnight in Quebec. We were on Vendam, which did do the overnight. I do not know if we could have left the ship early. We chose the Vendam because of the overnight.

Interesting, seems that ship skips the overnight as it continues to and from Montreal further up the seaway. The only cruise where Quebec City is merely a port and not the embarkation or debarkation point.

I was actually looking at a RCI Serenade of the Seas itinerary as it included stops in all 3 common Maine ports (Bar Harbor, Portland, and Rockland), and does so in peak October leaf time. We love Maine.

Edited by FSRoberts

After greatly enjoying a New England/Canada itinerary this year, I'm looking for others, and seeing a number that are one way to or from Quebec City. Yet almost all of them include and overnight stop either arriving or departing (and meaning that the ship stays 3 whole days there). Why is this? Some regulation from Quebec or the St. Lawrence Seaway? Ships stop in Vancouver, Victoria, Halifax, Saint John, Sydney, and Charlottetown without an overnight all the time.

On that topic, I'm curious how this works. Presumably you have to show up embarkation day to check in, so you can't just come the next day. But can you disembark early, choosing not to stay that last night? What's to stop you from taking your luggage off and leaving? Vacation days are at a premium for me.

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to stay an extra night in our fair city? :D;)

The reason is two-fold. One is logistics: most larger ships (anything over 70,000 GRT at least) cannot go all the way to Montreal, so instead of adjusting their itinerary before the Quebec City stop, they have merely added an overnight to fill what would otherwise be a day in Montreal. Also, as flights into YQB are limited, the overnight gives those embarking more flexibility - I have seen passengers arriving at the ship at 7 pm on embarkation day, and I'm sure there are some that arrive on the second day.

The other is popularity: Quebec City has consistently been ranked one of the top ports of call on the Canada/New England itineraries. The cruise companies are merely giving their customers what they've asked for.

That said, if you really don't want to spend more than a day in Quebec City, I would look at the Maasdam (which is small enough to go to Montreal), or NCL which I believe has a ship that does 1-way Quebec-Boston cruises.

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to stay an extra night in our fair city? :D;)

Oh, just the fact that my vacation time and funds are not unlimited. Nothing personal;)

The reason is two-fold. One is logistics: most larger ships (anything over 70,000 GRT at least) cannot go all the way to Montreal, so instead of adjusting their itinerary before the Quebec City stop, they have merely added an overnight to fill what would otherwise be a day in Montreal. Also, as flights into YQB are limited, the overnight gives those embarking more flexibility - I have seen passengers arriving at the ship at 7 pm on embarkation day, and I'm sure there are some that arrive on the second day.

Why would the need to adjust if they did not plan on going to Montreal to begin with? Odd they would not just start the return itinerary a day earlier. The Serenade of the Seas 12 day itinerary gets to Quebec City on a Sunday, so why not just depart that Sunday on the next cruise? Instead, they wait the whole way until Tuesday to leave.

I suppose transportation is a reasonable possibility. Though I think mentioning the wide options in arrival would be mentioned at the start to people looking for flights.

The other is popularity: Quebec City has consistently been ranked one of the top ports of call on the Canada/New England itineraries. The cruise companies are merely giving their customers what they've asked for.

That said, if you really don't want to spend more than a day in Quebec City, I would look at the Maasdam (which is small enough to go to Montreal), or NCL which I believe has a ship that does 1-way Quebec-Boston cruises.

Oh, an overnight is no problem, though like I said, saving some cash and a vacation day might be good for me. But I was mainly just curious why so many itineraries I was seeing had overnights when they are so rare on most cruises.

As another poster said, the NCL Dawn does do a Sept/Oct cruise which either starts or ends in Boston/Quebec, no overnight in Quebec.

Also if you don't want to spend the extra night in Quebec or don't want to continue on to Montreal as HAL does, you can disembark early. You do have to email the cruise line and tell them that you want to disembark early so they can make sure custom officials are going to be available.

We visited Quebec City last month on he Legend of the Seas. It is probably the most beautiful city we've ever visited. We did two nights before the cruise in a hotel and our first night on the ship was an overnight. Three days was barely enough for us to experience this amazing place.

If we were sailing from the east coast, we would consider an overnight there a huge plus -- :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of doing the NCL Dawn this September, ends in Quebec. How do we fly out of Quebec to get back into the states? Checking airlines and they don't show it, just from Montreal. Appreciate anyones assistance on what to do.

Edited by dblane

Quebec city is very beautiful. It is IMO the safest city that I have been in, in N. America. Teenagers may be at every corner, very polite, and in the evening like as not one will say 'Good Evening' to you, in English, or in French.

It was indeed an eye opener for me.

john

Thinking of doing the NCL Dawn this September, ends in Quebec. How do we fly out of Quebec to get back into the states? Checking airlines and they don't show it, just from Montreal. Appreciate anyones assistance on what to do.

AA UA US AC DL WS

all fly YQB to DTW they are not non stop flights but they do go between those airports

UA even has one to Flint connecting in ORD it is an all day adventure ;)

What date are you looking at ?

The train may be another option VIARAIL/AMTRAK

Edited by LHT28

Use the airport code YQB. There are many flights to New York, Philadelphia and Chicago, from which you can connect to most cities in the United States.

AA UA US AC DL WS

all fly YQB to DTW they are not non stop flights but they do go between those airports

UA even has one to Flint connecting in ORD it is an all day adventure ;)

What date are you looking at ?

The train may be another option VIARAIL/AMTRAK

Thank you for your response. I will expand my search. We are looking at the Sept 25th 2015.

I just booked NCL Dawn for September and there is an over night stay in Quebec. At least the one I booked is. We board on a Friday the 18th and we don't leave Quebec until Saturday the 19th. We then go to Sydney NS, Halifax, Saint John bay of Fundy, Bar Harbor and then disembark in Boston. Sounded like a good itinerary to me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums