San Pedro to LAX with a bit of sightseeing built-in

old nutter

We recently came into LA from a Panama Canal Cruise and had a flight booked out of LAX at 5:15pm. Cruise companies always want to get rid of you once the ship docks but disembark timing can be a bit erratic, particularly if the weather gets involved. This makes it difficult to plan long return flights (especially non-refundable ones) so this often means long delays between docking and flying out. I have a real dislike of airports in general and LAX in particular, so the thought of spending the best part of a day there after the cruise was not something I was looking forward to, so I set out researching what to do to make the time more worthwhile.

There have been a number of good ideas put on CC ranging from car hire and visits to various sites such as the Queen Mary but I settled on a combined transfer and sightseeing trip around LA from LA Insiders. It turned out to be one of my better ideas. They were superbly flexible with meeting times, trip itineraries and airport arrival. They have had very good reports on Trip Advisor which was one of the reasons I was content to book with them from distance. They were on time collecting us in a new minivan just for our use. We had a very effective and knowledgeable driver/guide who took us round the various tourist sites and then got us back to the airport just as our check-in gate opened. Not cheap but very good value for the money and it turned out to be a really smooth and entertaining end to a great cruise.

Glad you were able to find something to do here before your flight.

Just want to clear up something, just in case there's cruise newbies reading this. Once a ship docks in the final port, the cruise line wants to disembark passengers as soon as possible so that the crew can work hard to get the cabins ready for the next group of passengers. Of course, that process can't being until customs and immigration officers give the okay.

There are many passengers who want to get off as soon as possible to get to the airports (hopefully they didn't book too early flights), to meet up with friends and family who are local to go have time together, to sightsee on their own (many like you to fill time before a flight and many who are staying post-cruise), and to drive home from the port.

So the cruise line can't guarantee that you will be off the ship by a specific time (that's in the hands of C&I who don't work for Princess, etc.). They do recommend any flights you book to be after noon to be sure you don't miss your flight just in case of delays (and that will include traffic problems and airport security delays).

We recently came into LA from a Panama Canal Cruise and had a flight booked out of LAX at 5:15pm. Cruise companies always want to get rid of you once the ship docks but disembark timing can be a bit erratic, particularly if the weather gets involved. This makes it difficult to plan long return flights (especially non-refundable ones) so this often means long delays between docking and flying out. I have a real dislike of airports in general and LAX in particular, so the thought of spending the best part of a day there after the cruise was not something I was looking forward to, so I set out researching what to do to make the time more worthwhile.

There have been a number of good ideas put on CC ranging from car hire and visits to various sites such as the Queen Mary but I settled on a combined transfer and sightseeing trip around LA from LA Insiders. It turned out to be one of my better ideas. They were superbly flexible with meeting times, trip itineraries and airport arrival. They have had very good reports on Trip Advisor which was one of the reasons I was content to book with them from distance. They were on time collecting us in a new minivan just for our use. We had a very effective and knowledgeable driver/guide who took us round the various tourist sites and then got us back to the airport just as our check-in gate opened. Not cheap but very good value for the money and it turned out to be a really smooth and entertaining end to a great cruise.

who did you use for this?

Yes it was, thanks Splinter. I am never quite sure about the advertising rues on CC and so tried to make it clear which company we used without being too obvious. They have a very good reputation and there are lots of reports about them on Trip Adviser at:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g32655-d2332330-Reviews-LA_Insider_Tours-Los_Angeles_California.html#REVIEWS

Edited by old nutter
better url