Found

pennyg131

Ok...Please. I have read MANY posts where people said they forgot their cell phone, or tablet in their safe, and realized it once they got off the ship.

Tried to get back on with NO luck.

Cruise staff "attempts" to look for it, and says there is nothing in the cabin.

Give me a break.

By following the logic of mistrusting Guest Services and instead becoming a one person lost-and-found department, I have to assume that those forgotten items were taken home by the next person who occupied the cabin and they are now being posted on some obscure web site on the extremely unlikely off-chance that the person(s) who lost them will see the post and be reunited with their items! :D

I just want to say Thanks! OP for trying to find the owners. I know what its like to lose something and never get it back.

Opinions are just that and Please don't let "Some people's" opinions keep you from doing what you feel is right.

Well, since the OP only posted on this thread and not on the roll call, the odds are even lower of the owner being found. There are quite a few people who never post on or read these threads and only go onto the roll call threads.

BTW, maybe someone else will learn that the best thing to do is not necessarily what you want to do. For all those that say they've read that items haven't been returned to them by the cruiseline there are just as many who have received their items. Ever think that those that didn't get them back had them taken home by someone as others have said or they were thought of as "finders keepers" by other cruisers. A lot of people think that way.

As I said previously,most of you, if you lost something would be very disappointed if you contacted the cruiseline only to find out they never found/had your item (because someone thought they knew better than the cruiseline), right?

You have to look at this from both sides and that includes the person who lost the item who has no way of knowing how to get it back except to contact the cruiseline. That person has feelings too.

Edited by BND

I'm opting on the side that it should have been turned in. What if the owner had already contacted Carnival and was told that they didn't find it only because the OP didn't turn it in? Now others can blame Carnival for being dishonest and untrustworthy. I don't doubt OP had honorable intentions, but it should have been handed over to Guest Services.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I understand that the OP had the best of intentions in bringing the item home and attempting to locate the owner herself, but I agree with those saying that this is like finding a needle in a haystack- most cruisers don’t even know that Cruise Critic even exists, much less use it on a regular basis. But there are other forums out there, so maybe she’s posting the same message in a lot of other places- increasing the odds the owner will see it, or someone who knows the owner. But still…a lot of people who cruise just aren’t into the whole Internet message board thing. I hope she does find the person who is missing their item.

The other issue, however, is I wouldn’t want to have to take responsibility for someone else’s stuff in this situation. Let’s say you find a diamond earring in the nightstand, and instead of turning it in, you bring it home and try to find the owner. So, someone contacts you and says, “yes, I was in that room the week before you, and I did leave that earring, but I am also missing a ring….where is my ring?” It puts everyone in an awkward position. Maybe she lost the ring out by the pool? Maybe it’s stuck in the bottom fold of a pocket on her suitcase and she just overlooked it? But now she thinks you have it. Maybe there was never a missing ring and she’s trying to pull a scam?

Or…you could return the item and the owner claims you somehow broke it while it was in your possession. How would you prove otherwise?

I’d rather just turn items into Guest Services and not have all that hanging over me. It’s true, not everyone is trustworthy, and that could include the person who left the item behind in the first place.

OP, try this avenue also. There is no reason Carnival can't help you find the owner. Good luck and thanks for trying to help a fellow cruiser.

Someone suggested that I post over on the Carnival website boards in the "requesting assistance" area. It wasn't long that Michelle contacted me and she was able to contact the people who sailed in the cabin before me and they described the item.

Why would you bring something home that was left in a cabin? :confused:

You do realize that Cruise Critic members are a tiny percentage of cruisers and that most people don't even realize this place exists.

If you find something, turn it in at the service desk so that if/when that person contacts Carnival, they have a chance of it being returned to them!!

So, if no one contacts you, are you just going to keep whatever it is? :(

Exactly.

Just a few thoughts.

Some suggested that they op should go to their role call and post. I would suggest that a better way to word it would be to go the the role call of the previous cruise which is the cruise of the person who lost the item. I just though it would communicate better.

2.) Finders, eepers; loosers weepers.

3.) I like the posters who are giving suggestions of what to do now. Trying to chide the OP does not solve a thing. It has happened, what can we suggest that will help the article get back to the original owner.

BTW, I have found a few article left behind. I have always turned them into CS along with other things I have found laying around while I was traveling the ship.

So, the justification is that a cruiser is more honest than a cruiseline employee? Really?

The fact is, the OP did what they wanted to, not the correct way to handle it, but what they wanted. I've done my job if I find something and turn it in.

I love the "I know better" crowd who thinks taking the item home is the right thing to do and that they are "better" than the cruiseline. That's pretty arrogant.

I'm sure, about now, the owner, if it's something of value, is very upset after contacting CCL only to find out the item wasn't turned in. I'm also betting those of you that think the OP taking the item home was right, wouldn't be happy if you were in the same boat and it was your item :-) So, besides putting yourself in the shoes of the op, how about putting yourself in the shoes of the owner of the item, who probably doesn't read CC. Now, how do you feel?

Those of you that think it's a "good idea", do you have any idea how many people cruise each week and how many of those read CC? More than likely, you don't.

Excellent post.

So, the justification is that a cruiser is more honest than a cruiseline employee? Really?

I love the "I know better" crowd who thinks taking the item home is the right thing to do and that they are "better" than the cruiseline. That's pretty arrogant.

If the finder was dishonest, I am sure she would not have posted on here.

I think it is arrogant to bash the OP who is trying to accomplish something. Bashers are the ones who come over as "I am better and more moral than you are. Your stupid you did not do the right things", you should have group. How about being more helpful in solving the problem.

Edited by AZbeachboy

This is so simple.

If you check into your cabin and find something of value in the safe or a drawer, you turn it in to Guest Services. This is a no-brainer. YOU DON'T TAKE IT HOME WITH YOU, and later advertise it on Cruise Critic. Someone above said Cruise Critic is 4% of the cruise market. Try 1%!

What was the OP thinking?

I'm not bashing the OP, but, seriously, it was the wrong thing to do.

End of story.

Edited by loubetti

Too many people are playing "Monday morning quarterback" telling the OP what they should have done.

Regardless of whether taking the item home was right the act is done. OP contact Carnival, tell them you found an item in your cabin from the previous cruise and would like to return it. Surely they can check their system to see who was in your cabin. Obviously they wouldn't give out contact information for the previous guests but I bet somebody from Carnival can attempt to contact them.

If the indentions of the OP were to just have "finders keepers" or to steal why even bring it up on a message board? If the intentions were not good wouldn't one just keep it to themselves?

Technically this can be close to Theft... (before anyone flames me to death, let me explain)

I am not saying the OP intentionally stole.

in order to consider this Theft (by law) there typically has to have 3 things.

1 possessing something that belongs to someone else
2 without the owners permission and
3 intending to deprive the owner of it.

(EVEN IF ITS A LOST ITEM)

if the police think all 3 things happened , they can charge someone with theft if they are in possession of that property

The first 2 items is not in dispute. they do possess something that belongs to someone else and they posses it without the owners permission

the 3rd one is tricky. they posted here on the forum so it shows intent to not deprive the owner however the cruiseline knows exactly who was in the room before them and if the OP handed it in to guest services, Carnival could have called the previous owner and found out if it was theirs.

Posting here is a very minimal chance it will be recovered by the owner and if no one claims it, the OP still can not keep it. it should be handed to police or Carnival.

Again, before I am flamed to death, I know the OP didnt try to do anything wrong and in fact was trying to do something good but by being in possession of a lost item instead of turning it in, the law can percieve this as theft (you can look this up if you want)

I recommend they return it to Carnival and let them handle it.

Sometimes you think you are doing the right thing and your heart is in the right place but it still can be a wrong thing to do.

ok.. go ahead and flame me... (*puts on flame retardant underwear*)

[quote name='tennesseetater']too many people are playing "monday morning quarterback" telling the op what they should have done.

Regardless of whether taking the item home was right the act is done. Op contact carnival, tell them you found an item in your cabin from the previous cruise and would like to return it. Surely they can check their system to see who was in your cabin. Obviously they wouldn't give out contact information for the previous guests but i bet somebody from carnival can attempt to contact them.

If the indentions of the op were to just have "finders keepers" or to steal why even bring it up on a message board? If the intentions were not good wouldn't one just keep it to themselves?[/quote]

amen!!