New to Royal, but not cruising

BarleyJack

Hi all,

We've just booked a Southern Caribbean cruise from SJ, our first on RCCL-on Adventure of the Seas.

We've cruised with Carnival a couple times, and was just wondering what the main differences are, generally speaking. Meaning: dining, activities, embark/debarkations, etc. I'm assuming Windjammer is the equivalent to Lido deck?

Also, do I need to bring my own ice skates or are they for rent? If so, how much?

No slamming Carnival, please :-) we always had fun on their ships :-)

TIA~

Same for us. First RCCL cruise. Also Adventure of the Seas from San Juan. We've cruised Norwegian a few times and are also curious about differences. Are there any venues open for dining on embarkation day besides the buffet?? Can we do MTD and just show up each nite in the MDR? Can we sit at a table for 2 or are they only group tables??

Thanks

BarleyJack....we aren't cruising till Jan 2016 a loooong time from now! What about you??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are more similar than different. If you wish to skate, you must have long pants...and bring socks!

Room service is always available, as are several other "snack" venues. The buffet isn't open 24/7, but the doors aren't locked between meals, and there are usually cookies or something to munch on.

The buffet is the main embarkation venue...If you book MY TIME DINING, you will be seated alone. If you booked traditional, you can request a smaller table...but PLEASE don't discount table mates! Having others to eat with is fun! We truly enjoy eating with others! We would welcome you!

Edited by cb at sea

You can also find light food on embarkation day in cafe promenade. Light sandwiches and desserts.....and way less crowded than windjammer. You will love Adventure of the Seas. One of our favorite ships and itineraries going to southern caribbean ports. Love spending few extra days in San Juan also.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

This is the most recent thread comparison -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137413

Sailing of SJ - you will have a more diverse crowd

Adventure will probably feel bigger than the Carnival ships you have sailed. The pool, activity areas, music, art ship design are nicer on RC (IMO).

The promenade on deck 5 is nice feature, but the pizza and casual food options are lacking. It is a little more work to get a mid day snack on RC. No food around the pool deck like Carnival.

Let us know what you think - Enjoy your trip

We have done Carnival, Norwegian but most Royal. I would say most all cruise lines seem to be basically the same as far as check in and leaving the ships.

We personally liked Royals buffet better than the Lido as we only eat at the buffets. My fussy hubby was scrounging for food at supper on Carnival resorting frequently to pizza (not his favorite} on RCI they will have different carved meats, and many different dishes to try.

Entertainment- i say is a little more classy, as Carnival the Broadway shows the girls tend to wear thongs which I don't consider family friendly (my opinion) I will say I wish Royal would have more comedians, and an area with food and drinks by the pool

Ice skating is free, Royal usually has the belly flop, or some activity around the pool.

Carnival- IMO seem to be more of a party boat

I would definitely choose Royal , but wouldn't say I'd never go on the others.

Typical useless & sarcastic post from this one. :rolleyes:

Much more valuable than you think.

It could actually prevent hundreds of new threads from starting on topics that already exist multiple times over.

Keeping original topics/questions from being pushed off the front pages & basically out of existence...