42 Day Atlantic Adventure MS Maasdam review

albingirl

The string duet attracted a crowd every evening. They were very talented.

We did see the Captain often, he roamed through the pool area several times and was kind enough to chat for 5 to 10 minutes each time. Lovely man.

The Neptunes were terrific every evening; enjoyed them very much.

There was also a fellow from the British band, ELO, on board and he brought down the house with his show when he sang Elton John songs in the Showroom at see. After that, he sang regularly with the Neptune band and it was very special. He's a very talented pianist, as well, and had quite a following on the ship. Highly entertaining.

Also, the comedians were very funny. We enjoyed their shows. Nothing sticks out as spectacular, but we know we laughed a lot.

Food was outstanding in the MDR. No need for specialty restaurants for us.

We dine rather late, and had the same table each evening with perfect service by 2 gentlemen.

There was a spectacular buffet in the MDR for lunch the day of the Captain's Ball. Lobster, king crab legs, giant shrimp, all you could eat. Wonderful presentation.

At the Captain's ball, the Captain stayed all night. Every officer did, as well.

They danced with the guests and night and it was such a beautiful evening with perfect music.

I can't say enough about this cruise. It was simply a dream come true.

With reference to your statement about the Captain staying all night, this is in correct. He left about an hour after it started. Not all the Officers attended the Ball and majority of the ones that stayed were all junior officers.

This must have been an insanely boring review. 6 people responded. Well, lesson learned. I've got another cruise booked but basically, nobody's interested.

Oh yes we are:). But like someone else said, it's a pretty busy time of year for most people. Anyway, your review brought back some fond memories.

Thanks.

Thanks for posting this review. We joined the ship in Rome for the westbound TA. I enjoyed reading about the ports you had on the eastbound TA. This itinerary has a lot of diversity and balance. And a lot of interest because HAL will do it again next year adding Istanbul and a couple of Greece ports.

We enjoyed many of our ports but DH's knee started giving him issues (not surprising with all the touring we had done before we boarded Maasdam) so we chose to go light in the later Med ports, but they are beautiful places. So if I may I'll a bit to add to the list:

Messina Sicily: We really liked the tour to Taoromina with the beautiful views and the Greco-Roman amphitheater.

In Gibraltar we had the grand tour :City Under Siege" which took us all over Gibraltar. It involved a lot of walking and steep slopes and stairs but it was well worth it if you can do it.

In Cartagena we stayed close to the ship and walked over the Underwater Archelogic Museum which showcased history through shipwrecks and salvaged treasure. It was beautifully presented with modern audiovisual displays and traced the commerce routes from Roman times to present.... fascinating stuff.

We did do a tour in Sorrento, just average but glad we saw what we saw - beautiful views. I always say that even on an average tour we see more and learn more than if we'd stayed on the ship.

I will add that the westbound crossing had more rolling than other crossings we have done, not that it seemed to bother the seasoned cruisers on this long itinerary. Captain Smit did what he could to take the long route around a storm to try to keep things calmer for us but that requires catching up at faster speeds towards the end so we could get into Half Moon Cay on time, which we did. I think it's good that HAL gives that margin to the Captain for the comfort of the passengers knowing that it costs more in fuel... but maybe they know that seasick passengers don't spend money! I hope they broke even.

That's for the review and the chance to add my thoughts, m--

Thank you all for the info on your recent trip. I am interested in the October 30th 2015 50 day cruise and have never been on the Massdam although I have traveled on other HA ships. So all your comments are important to me. I recently came back from a 21 day TA Lisbon to Miami on the Regent 7 Seas Mariner and submitted a long review of the trip and the ship. I did not get one response to my review so don't be disheartened if no one responds. There was a message board for this Regent cruise but not that active. However there was a separate message board about Ebola because one of the ports was Dakar in Senegal. This message board was very active and you have to keep in mind that although there are only a few people who are actively replying to the message board there are hundreds who follow the links with out replying,

Thanks again for your comments. I only have one question for anyone who is a bridge player.. was there a Bridge Director on board to arrange Duplicate games?

Jerry

I appreciate the interest in this thread. Thanks. No, we're not in the president's club and I'm not going to ask what that is! I have 2100 plus photos on my phone and no idea how to download some to this site. I'm glad Victorian did. Happiest of holidays to y'all and hope you are enjoying the festivities.

Surely, you're not serious! Not all of us who read reviews give comments. Also, I think six comments in two days during busy Christmas time is not bad. I think if you look at the number of views rather than the comments is a truer test of interest in a thread.

I thoroughly enjoyed your review. I appreciated the succinct summaries of each port, and the breaks between paragraphs. You brought back good memories.

I "like" this post.

I appreciate the interest in this thread. Thanks. No, we're not in the president's club and I'm not going to ask what that is! I have 2100 plus photos on my phone and no idea how to download some to this site. I'm glad Victorian did. Happiest of holidays to y'all and hope you are enjoying the festivities.

Happy Holidays to you too!:)

There is a thread on CC about how to post photos: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714741, however you might have to ask for some help on how to get you photos from your telephone to the "host" site. I'm sure its doable.

Albingirl really enjoying some of your more in depth reporting about you cruise. Very interesting report about your Captain.

I do have a question, you said there was a group on board called the Neptune's. I only ask because they seem to be discontinuing that group and substituting the Halcats in the Ocean bar on may of Hal's other ship. Was the group actually the Neptune's or was it the Halcats?

Thanks for the compliment! It was definitely the Neptune's nightly in the Ocean bar. They were great. We like to dance. One thing I did forget to mention is that there were some complaints, on sea days especially, that there wasn't enough to do. We are avid readers, so that wasn't an issue. Plus, I'd go to a movie and the cooking shows and the wine tastings and what have you. As the cruise progressed, we found some very fun people to hang out with, so we had a splendid time. I have to say, the Captain walked through the lido pool area frequently and found us goofing off and ready to chat with him. It was great fun, all the way.

Thanks for the compliment! It was definitely the Neptune's nightly in the Ocean bar. They were great. We like to dance. One thing I did forget to mention is that there were some complaints, on sea days especially, that there wasn't enough to do. We are avid readers, so that wasn't an issue. Plus, I'd go to a movie and the cooking shows and the wine tastings and what have you. As the cruise progressed, we found some very fun people to hang out with, so we had a splendid time. I have to say, the Captain walked through the lido pool area frequently and found us goofing off and ready to chat with him. It was great fun, all the way.

Thanks Albingirl, wonder about the Neptune's. Like I mentioned on the last several Hal ships I've been on they are not performing anymore, it was the Halcats taking over the Ocean Bar.

Nice to hear about the Captain, sounds like the kind I like, walking thru the lido pool area and chatting with you all.:)

Thanks Albingirl, wonder about the Neptune's. Like I mentioned on the last several Hal ships I've been on they are not performing anymore, it was the Halcats taking over the Ocean Bar.

We never listened to them, but it definitely was "The Neptunes" - I checked in the On Location guides I brought home - in the Ocean Bar. They often played at the same time as the HALcats, so it couldn't have been the same group playing with two different names!:)

Merry Christmas!

Seriously, what's so unusual? The Captain walking thru the Lido pool area? He did it daily. We had so much fun and the staff was terrific. Amazing journey. I would do it again except there are too manky places I haven't seen.

Not the walking through the Lido pool area, but stopping and talking to the pax.