UBP and wine question

Beaver1975

As a wine drinker I always kind of wondered if we got the UBP & asked a bartender to "sell" us one of the bottles that you can get a glass of wine from could we bring it into one of the restaurants? If I'm going to finish the bottle anyway, it shouldn't make a difference but I suppose there are inventory controls or something.

One of the reasons we have always shied away from the UBP is given how slow dining room service can be I would be frustrated beyond belief if I had to constantly wait to get another glass of wine while I was already waiting for my dinner. :eek:

Bear in mind I am not talking about trying to scam my way into a better more expensive bottle of wine . . . just to speed up distribution of the wine that is included. lol

Well, there IS a way to do that provided you have a server who will work with you... He can sometimes ring up a bottle as 4-6 glasses and then you're all set..., This may require some extra tipping...

Believe me. We always take care of servers who take care of us. I have watched bartenders lean over people to serve my husband or my father on land at at sea. :cool:

I may consider UBP if somebody is willing to hand me a bottle in the dining room.

I don't think we're doing it this cruise but I may ask.

As a wine drinker I always kind of wondered if we got the UBP & asked a bartender to "sell" us one of the bottles that you can get a glass of wine from could we bring it into one of the restaurants? If I'm going to finish the bottle anyway, it shouldn't make a difference but I suppose there are inventory controls or something.

One of the reasons we have always shied away from the UBP is given how slow dining room service can be I would be frustrated beyond belief if I had to constantly wait to get another glass of wine while I was already waiting for my dinner. :eek:

Bear in mind I am not talking about trying to scam my way into a better more expensive bottle of wine . . . just to speed up distribution of the wine that is included. lol

I think you can get 20% of the bottle of wine if you have the ubp.

I've read the NCL rules regarding the UBP, but what is not clear to me is if you want a glass of wine that is greater than $10, can you just pay the difference between the two? Same for premium liquor or beer?

All or nothing - if it's over the limit, you can't use UBP to pay for it at all.

Just keep your eye out for the bar server and flag them down when your current glass is getting low. Or ask your waiter to get them. If you need a refill every 5 minutes, you might need to make this clear at the beginning of the meal. Otherwise, we have always been able to order 3 or 4 glasses during the meal without ever having to wait an unreasonable amount of time.

Hold on to the wine menu when they try to take it away from you: sitting on your table, it will be a permanent signal to the wine server that you're still ordering (and that way you can pick a different wine each time, although I suspect you will have the list of wines by the glass memorized before too long…)

Just keep your eye out for the bar server and flag them down when your current glass is getting low. Or ask your waiter to get them. If you need a refill every 5 minutes, you might need to make this clear at the beginning of the meal. Otherwise, we have always been able to order 3 or 4 glasses during the meal without ever having to wait an unreasonable amount of time.

Hold on to the wine menu when they try to take it away from you: sitting on your table, it will be a permanent signal to the wine server that you're still ordering (and that way you can pick a different wine each time, although I suspect you will have the list of wines by the glass memorized before too long…)

I've heard about them on other cruise lines but never actually seen a separate bar/wine server on NCL ships, only people bringing drinks or wine has always been our waiter or their asst.

For wine lovers don't forget the VIVA VINO wine packages.

After boarding the ship check in or near the Registration Deck for the display

of wines being offered by the bottle minimum purchase required.

May also be available in or near the pool on the Lido deck.

VIVA VINO

by Norwegian Cruise Line

Please list the number of

bottles for your selection

The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France

___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California

___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia

___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile

___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California

___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California

___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California

___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California

___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California

___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders. Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT for certain ports or itineraries

I've heard about them on other cruise lines but never actually seen a separate bar/wine server on NCL ships, only people bringing drinks or wine has always been our waiter or their asst.
It could be… We see so many dining room staff throughout the cruise, I couldn't say what everyone's precise role is. But I think my point remains: if you want another glass of wine, ask for another glass of wine. :cool: Of course it is less efficient than if you had the bottle at the table to pour yourself, but we have never experienced unacceptably slow wine service with the UBP.