January Breakaway Weekend Cruise to Nowhere from NY

Sizzlechest

Can't predict how rough (or not) the sea will be in the winter (or any other season).

Last year was very cold with lots of snowstorms, but we did have a couple of weird 60* days in between.

If you are parking at the pier, put a snow shovel in the trunk of your car just in case. You never know. I remember reading posts here of returning passengers whose cars were buried in snow.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

Can't predict how rough (or not) the sea will be in the winter (or any other season).

Last year was very cold with lots of snowstorms, but we did have a couple of weird 60* days in between.

If you are parking at the pier, put a snow shovel in the trunk of your car just in case. You never know. I remember reading posts here of returning passengers whose cars were buried in snow.

Whoa! I think this is going to be something I'll book 2 days before...if I even do it.

BTW, I spoke to someone at NCL and they claim that the pools are open and people do use them. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
I'm wondering if the 2-3 day cruise out of NY is worth it. It's too cold to do anything outside, so there's going to be less to do. Has anyone done a cruise like this? How rough are the waters? How crowded does it get on the Breakaway? Are there shows happening?

Breakaway gets very crowded on these. Even more crowded then the Gem.

I did the CTN on the breakaway last year, I'm signed up to go this month, and we are also booked for Jan 2016. It is expensive, but it is a fun way to break up the monotony of winter and something fun to look forward to after the holidays.

We had an absolute blast. I would say it is a bit of a party atmosphere and there are very few kids on board. When we first boarded the ship the weather wasn't too cold so we could explore outside a bit. When the ship left the port, it was gorgeous to see the lights of NYC, but it was freezing. On Saturday we never went outside, but we found out later that the ship apparently went as south as NC and the temp was 65-70. I saw a YouTube video someone took and there were definitely people swimming, on the water slide, and in the hot tub.

Ship was definitely crowded, but not annoyingly so. We did not have rough seas, but I think that is hit or miss, just like the weather will be. We didn't come back to snow, but last year left our car at an indoor lot just in case, which we will do again.

There were most of the shows (yes rock of ages, comedy, but no burn the floor), but some of the smaller venues were full, so good to make reservations if possible. All of the restaurants were open and packed. There were lots of activities like trivia and games and such. The only bad thing is that you get off the ship very early on Sunday, so you really only get part of Friday and en all day Saturday on the ship.

Hopes this answers all of your questions and let me know if I can answer any others! Also, you can search for past roll calls - the 1/31/14 breakaway ctn roll call is massive and if you go to the end you mind find more info.

Edited by Juvesgirl

I did the CTN on the breakaway last year, I'm signed up to go this month, and we are also booked for Jan 2016. It is expensive, but it is a fun way to break up the monotony of winter and something fun to look forward to after the holidays.

We had an absolute blast. I would say it is a bit of a party atmosphere and there are very few kids on board. When we first boarded the ship the weather wasn't too cold so we could explore outside a bit. When the ship left the port, it was gorgeous to see the lights of NYC, but it was freezing. On Saturday we never went outside, but we found out later that the ship apparently went as south as NC and the temp was 65-70. I saw a YouTube video someone took and there were definitely people swimming, on the water slide, and in the hot tub.

Ship was definitely crowded, but not annoyingly so. We did not have rough seas, but I think that is hit or miss, just like the weather will be. We didn't come back to snow, but last year left our car at an indoor lot just in case, which we will do again.

There were most of the shows (yes rock of ages, comedy, but no burn the floor), but some of the smaller venues were full, so good to make reservations if possible. All of the restaurants were open and packed. There were lots of activities like trivia and games and such. The only bad thing is that you get off the ship very early on Sunday, so you really only get part of Friday and en all day Saturday on the ship.

Hopes this answers all of your questions and let me know if I can answer any others! Also, you can search for past roll calls - the 1/31/14 breakaway ctn roll call is massive and if you go to the end you mind find more info.

Thanks for offering all this great information. I have always wondered if the two nighters were worth it so my husband and I just booked the one for the 16th. I think we got a good price plus we used our rewards and got an additional $200 off the price :D I just posted a thread about wine, water and soda. Not sure if it is ok to bring them onboard or not :confused:

Thanks for offering all this great information. I have always wondered if the two nighters were worth it so my husband and I just booked the one for the 16th. I think we got a good price plus we used our rewards and got an additional $200 off the price :D I just posted a thread about wine, water and soda. Not sure if it is ok to bring them onboard or not :confused:

My pleasure. Glad you got a great deal!

You can definitely bring water and soda with no problem and no fee. There is a corkage fee just for bringing the wine on board, I think you pay during check-in, but I don't know the details as I've never done this. I think the fee is $15 per bottle, but I'm not certain.

Have a great trip!

Thanks. I didn't think so. I wonder if the close any other things because its a 2 day.

The only difference I saw was that there was no Burn the Floor show. Also, some of the outdoor activities are more limited. Otherwise, most other things seemed to be in full swing.

Also, no room service. The outdoor bars are closed, or they were last year. All outdoor activities are hit or miss with being open based on weather (expected).

I was also wondering if those Haven cabins will drop in $ or sail empty.

My husband and I were on the Breakaway CTN last January. The pools, watersides, outdoor pool bar were all open. We really lucked out with the weather for that particular weekend. The whole week leading up to the CTN was bitterly cold. By the time that Friday came around the weather started to warm up comparatively speaking. Here's a video that I had put together our CTN weekend getaway. You will see towards the end of the video that the pool, slides & outdoor pool bar were all open on that Saturday at sea. Enjoy!!:)

https://vimeo.com/85768791

It is a fun weekend getaway (haha but on the Breakaway) and less $ than spending a weekend in NYC if you include hotel, meals and shows.

The outdoor hot tubs are usually open and have people in them; sometimes the heated pool too.

We love CTNs and find plenty to do on them (or just nothing too!).

Edited by mizlorinj

My husband and I were on the Breakaway CTN last January. The pools, watersides, outdoor pool bar were all open. We really lucked out with the weather for that particular weekend. The whole week leading up to the CTN was bitterly cold. By the time that Friday came around the weather started to warm up comparatively speaking. Here's a video that I had put together our CTN weekend getaway. You will see towards the end of the video that the pool, slides & outdoor pool bar were all open on that Saturday at sea. Enjoy!!:)

https://vimeo.com/85768791

So funny - yours was the video I watched and found out how great it was outdoors - my husband and I just assumed it was freezing that weekend and never ventured outside! So jealous!

• 2 weeks later...
Contemplating booking this for the end of January also. Is the ultimate beverage package available for purchase for a 2 day? Not looking to get drunk just wouldn't mind relaxing and not worrying about charges.

Did this past weekend's CTN. No UBP was available for the sailing.

Edited by metsinfirst