Cuba

balf

While President Obama's deal with Cuban President Raul Castro calls for loosening of banking, commerce and some travel (as well as establishing a US Embassy in Cuba), it does not lift the ban on mass tourism. That would require congressional approval.

Still, the announcement does give hope to Americans who want to explore Cuba.

Other nationalities can currently visit, and the island is a cruise destination for several lines, including the U.K.-based Fred. Olsen, Noble Caledonia and Thomsen Cruises. Cuba Cruise, a Canadian company, had its first season of cruises around the island last year and will be doing it again this winter.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=6112#

Americans can easily visit Cuba now. They just fly through Canada or Mexico. The Cubans don't stamp the passports of American arrivals from Canada or Mexico so there's no evidence of the visit.

I can't see Cunard stopping there until at least 2016. They won't change itineraries already set for 2015 and the world cruises of 2016. So its going to be some time after that.

What perhaps American CC members can explain is what Obama can authorize through executive action and what requires congressional approval. Anything that requires the latter won't happen. And while Obama is restoring full diplomatic relations with Cuba he won't be able to get the Senate to approve an ambassador for Cuba. There are still too many Republicans who live in an alternate reality.

I had lunch today with a friend who's going on a family golfing holiday in Cuba in about 3 weeks.

The island has a lot of poverty and no infrastructure that would support the standards expected by western tourists. Modern air conditioning and a variety of imported food are luxuries there. One doesn't recover from 60 years of a collectivist economy overnight. The earlier confiscation of private property doesn't put foreign investors at ease.

It will probably take at least five years before cruise ships call at a Cuban port.

As for Obama, at last year's State of the Union address he essentially told the elected law making body of the US that they can perform a physically impossible act on themselves. And the Democrats cheered him.

Edited by BlueRiband

The island has a lot of poverty and no infrastructure that would support the standards expected by western tourists. Modern air conditioning and a variety of imported food are luxuries there. One doesn't recover from 60 years of a collectivist economy overnight. The earlier confiscation of private property doesn't put foreign investors at ease.

It will probably take at least five years before cruise ships call at a Cuban port.

As for Obama, at last year's State of the Union address he essentially told the elected law making body of the US that they can perform a physically impossible act on themselves. And the Democrats cheered him.

"Like".

But seriously - there will be no need to have an Ambassador, as no money will be spent by democrats or republicans on an embassy (all spending moves through congress) as long as FL remains a battleground state. Non US citizens may have no idea why I conjecture this. But politicos will see the truth in that statement, especially those who understand the Dade/Broward voting bloc.

Some always have. I've been there twice on non US vessels.

Hang on though, isn't Cunard supposed to be British?

David.

David ... Thomson cruises have been to Cuba several times and will be going there again next year, Cunard as you may know is owned by Carnival although some people from the UK like to believe it is still British.

"Yes, if you like decline and dilapidation."

Like many other place around the world that cruise ships visit!

Edited by sidari

And it also has a lot of tourists from non-US countries. It is a popular destination from the UK.

Depending on how things play out in Congress, it could be much longer than that.;)

Indeed. Coca-Cola will object. Cuba libre will soon be mixed of rum and local orange juice:D

Edited by cunardaddict

can cuba be any worse than grenada ,if they can get poorer they will be living in caves. :(. i will be in the general area of cuba in a few days with the qm2.....i will ask the capt. to drop by cuba..........i will pick up johanne chesimard and return her to the new jersey state police...........they ssssssooooo miss her:rolleyes:

can cuba be any worse than grenada ,if they can get poorer they will be living in caves. :(. i will be in the general area of cuba in a few days with the qm2.....i will ask the capt. to drop by cuba..........i will pick up johanne chesimard and return her to the new jersey state police...........they ssssssooooo miss her:rolleyes:

Stick her in Britannia class.

How long before a Cunard ship visits Cuba?

David.

Well Cunard is not American. The Qm2 is registered in Bermuda. Bermuda may have a relationship with Cuba. With that, the Cunard ships should be able to sail to Cuba

We sailed , a few years ago , on the Qm2 along the coast of western Cuba .

So close , we can see houses, farmland .

We were sailing to ft Lauderdale , Florida from Bonaire ,NWI

May be a reality

Stick her in Britannia class.

My guess is that Joanne Chesimard a/k/a Assata Shakur is fleeing to another country, and perhaps already left Cuba.

"Stick her in Britannia class" - no, I don't think that would work. Rowers are rather open minded, but convicted felons might be better protected in the Grills.

Yes, if you like decline and dilapidation.

Have you been to Cuba? You seem to make this off comment from a bias and

Not even visiting Cuba.

As some members said here, it is a popular country to visit.

Europeans, Asians, Middle Easterns , Canadians, US citizens.

Yes there are Cruise ships that visit

So it may not be as bad as you make it