so mad at RCC

Toddler is 12-36 months. Once a child is 3 they are no longer a toddler.

Secondly you say you called to book another cruise in July and was bombed with this info? Why would an agent bring up another cruise you weren't asking about? I've never had this happen in ALL my rccl cruises ever.

Earlier this year I had 2 cruises booked and every time I called to make a payment on one the rep would go over the details of both to make sure everything was correct.

Toddler is 12-36 months. Once a child is 3 they are no longer a toddler.

Secondly you say you called to book another cruise in July and was bombed with this info? Why would an agent bring up another cruise you weren't asking about? I've never had this happen in ALL my rccl cruises ever.

I can easily envision something like this: while trying to book another cruise, the customer or rep might mention the pack n play option. If at that point the rep asked to see if the child fit the size/weight criteria, the customer and rep discover that the child not only will not meet criteria then but will not meet criteria for the cruise in two weeks. And with that discovery, this challenge begins....

Unless I am misunderstanding something, originally poster referred to the child as a "toddler" and RC planned a pack-and-play for the child. Later the child is said to be a 3-year-old. In my opinion a 3-year-old is not a toddler, therefore, I think the original poster has some responsibility here. Might be a communications error as to the age and size of the child, especially if the original booking agent did not do the math as to the child's age and just heard the word "toddler."

Hopefully can be resolved.

The booking will have the child's birthdate on it. Their age is therefore a known thing, whether OP calls them a toddler or not.

I would not have accepted an interior in this circumstance. The OP booked the reservation for a balcony. I have no problems with interior cabins and have sailed them myself, but if I booked a balcony I would expect to receive that or better, especially in this circumstance which is the cruise line's mistake and not the client's.

Edited by PuterMonkey

Some of the posters here seem to think that I did something wrong here. I never asked for this room, they offered it to me, knowing well how old my daughter was, since I had cruised with them before. The ONLY reason I called was because I had future cruise credit that I needed to use and didn't know how to use them. When he quoted me the price, he came way more than what I got online for the same room, then looking, he said "oh I didn't apply the residency discount you are allowed" and then came with hold on a minute, I have a cabin that is midship that you can put your daughter in a playpen. I told him, that is fine, she won't use the playpen as the bed is big enough for the 3 of us. Even in a cabin of 3 she would have slept with us. The problem with this cabin I have is that that there is no couch that converts into a bed. It is a double occupancy with a pack and play. I can keep that room, it does not bother me one bit, but the agent I spoke to yesterday plainly told me, if once we get to the pier, if they feel that my daughter is too big for the playpen, they will deny us boarding if no other cabin suitable for us is available. I cannot risk it. I've been looking forward to this cruise and we are less than 2 weeks away and now I don't know what will happen. I hope this clarifies the situation for those who think I'm looking for more than what I paid for. I really just want a balcony that fits the 3 of us with no problems at the pier!:o

So wait, what is the official criteria for 'fits in a playpen'? Pack n plays have specific height/weight limits on them, there's no judgement call that needs to be made in my opinion. Either your daughter would be under the size limit of the ones RCI uses or not.

Okay, let me just throw this out there. My daughter was 4 and they let us book her in my room as extra, because we booked when she was two. No problems boarding at the pier, they didn't even bat an eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not surprised that the check in agents did not bat an eye.

Another poster mentioned the lack of checks for military rates.

That the check in staff may not bat an eye is true, yet it is little comfort as the ramifications are too great if the issue is indeed raised. Were I in the OP's shoes, I'd also want to know that everything is set.

Unfortunately the customer service rep talked you into a double occupancy cabin and a pack and play for a 3 year old - there is no sofa to allow her to even sleep there if you wanted to.

You really needed a triple occupancy cabin - no matter where the child was sleeping

We had a pack and play on Ex for our 6 month old grandson y ears ago and I can tell you they are small.

May I ask what category your cabin is?

they told me that it could take a week, I think I will call back today and ask for this to be resolved, I want to book something else if they can't help me. The way things are going, I'm going to end up with not being able to go on vacation on Jan 4th if they take 1 week to resolve::(

I am not surprised that the check in agents did not bat an eye.

Another poster mentioned the lack of checks for military rates.

That the check in staff may not bat an eye is true, yet it is little comfort as the ramifications are too great if the issue is indeed raised. Were I in the OP's shoes, I'd also want to know that everything is set.

I would too - but I was reassured multiple times and it was noted on my reservation that it was okay. So I'm really surprised they "changed their mind" about it being okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand that there isn't a pull out couch, but does the room have a regular couch? A three year old (unlike an adult) can easily sleep on a regular couch turned backwards or with cushions in front in case they fall out. Or else a potable cot is a nice option for a preschooler who has outgrown a pack n play (although my son who is in 50 percent for height could fit in pack n play at 36 months, since kids usually sleep scrunched up anyway.). If rc has two interior rooms available they should be able to fix this by giving you one in addition to the balcony room you requested if the problem is that they literally cannot allow 3 people in a cabin zoned for 2, and their rep never should have offered you the transfer into a room you can't sail in.

ah . . . no.

Two connecting cabins and keep the higher OBC is a pretty good deal.

Get off your pride and enjoy the cruise . . .

Really? Ah..NO

No way would I accept 2 insides over a balcony. If we couldn't book a balcony, we wouldn't even go on a cruise because we enjoy having breakfast out there and just sitting out and looking at the water, reading or having a drink. It would be an entirely different experience in an inside. What does pride have to do with it?

Earlier this year I had 2 cruises booked and every time I called to make a payment on one the rep would go over the details of both to make sure everything was correct.

Looking at your cruise list you only have 1 rccl cruise? So how could they mention another cruise? If your talking about Carnival this thread isn't in regards to carnival customer service.

I can easily envision something like this: while trying to book another cruise, the customer or rep might mention the pack n play option. If at that point the rep asked to see if the child fit the size/weight criteria, the customer and rep discover that the child not only will not meet criteria then but will not meet criteria for the cruise in two weeks. And with that discovery, this challenge begins....

All I can say is that in EVERY rccl cruise I have ever been on the phone with(which was more then 1) the agent has NEVER brought up a cruise i am not calling in regards too. That's my point. They don't do that. They need your reservation # in order to access that specific sailing. So an agent wouldn't randomly just bring up another cruise. Secondly the OP stated they called about a different cruise. Not the one with the issue. Now they are saying they called about a future cruise credit for this cruise. That's two different stories. If they called in regards to this specific cruise then it makes perfect sense. If they called regarding a different cruise but the agent randomly brought up this one then i just don't buy that. Again now the story has changed. The agent was talking about price of this cruise.

Looking at your cruise list you only have 1 rccl cruise? So how could they mention another cruise? If your talking about Carnival this thread isn't in regards to carnival customer service.

All I can say is that in EVERY rccl cruise I have ever been on the phone with(which was more then 1) the agent has NEVER brought up a cruise i am not calling in regards too. That's my point. They don't do that. They need your reservation # in order to access that specific sailing. So an agent wouldn't randomly just bring up another cruise. Secondly the OP stated they called about a different cruise. Not the one with the issue. Now they are saying they called about a future cruise credit for this cruise. That's two different stories. If they called in regards to this specific cruise then it makes perfect sense. If they called regarding a different cruise but the agent randomly brought up this one then i just don't buy that. Again now the story has changed. The agent was talking about price of this cruise.

Two points...

#1 Maybe the story of the phone call is a bit variable, but is the reason the OP chose to book by phone particularly relevant to the current problem? If the OP booked two adults and a 3 year old in a manner suggested by a customer service agent, then later discovers the booking is problematic, the problem needs to be addressed. How the OP discovered the booking issue matters little. By phone with an agent, talking to a friend with a tot, reading cruise critic family forum, reading cruise line website...somehow the problem was dicovered....what difference does the manner of discover make now?

#2 You and the OP and I are all different people with different styles. Your phone history is certainly valid for you. Mine is similar to yours; so far I have not gotten sidetracked about another cruise. Then again, I am not sailing with a pack-n-play age child. Are you? If not, can you agree that perhaps different passenger situations may result in phone conversations taking different turns? For example, customer calls in to book cruise, asks about a double occupancy cabin with child in pack-n-play. Agent asks child's size. Customer is surprised, saying this was not asked when booking January cruise. From there the conversation swings to January cruise...I can easily imagine this conversation, though the OP has not shared the details of the conversation. And again, what difference would it make?

Edited by Starry Eyes

Two points...

#1 Maybe the story of the phone call is a bit variable, but is the reason the OP chose to book by phone particularly relevant to the current problem? If the OP booked two adults and a 3 year old in a manner suggested by a customer service agent, then later discovers the booking is problematic, the problem needs to be addressed. How the OP discovered the booking issue matters little. By phone with an agent, talking to a friend with a tot, reading cruise critic family forum, reading cruise line website...somehow the problem was dicovered....what difference does the manner of discover make now?

#2 You and the OP and I are all different people with different styles. Your phone history is certainly valid for you. Mine is similar to yours; so far I have not gotten sidetracked about another cruise. Then again, I am not sailing with a pack-n-play age child. Are you? If not, can you agree that perhaps different passenger situations may result in phone conversations taking different turns? For example, customer calls in to book cruise, asks about a double occupancy cabin with child in pack-n-play. Agent asks child's size. Customer is surprised, saying this was not asked when booking January cruise. From there the conversation swings to January cruise...I can easily imagine this conversation, though the OP has not shared the details of the conversation. And again, what difference would it make?

A very sensible assessment.

They need your reservation # in order to access that specific sailing. So an agent wouldn't randomly just bring up another cruise.

No they don't. Once they've pulled up a reservation they have access to all your booked and past sailings. I was recently on the phone to tweak some things for a cruise. When we were done, I said I had a question about another cruise. Without missing a beat, the agent responded, "Serenade, Liberty, or a new booking?"

Edited by Cindy

Two points...

I agree with this!

OP may have been trying to book the cruise for July with similar sleeping arrangements and rep said its not possible because of childs weight/size/age which would naturally bring up the Jan cruise problem.

It cannot be the OP,s fault in any way unless they were trying to get a cheaper cabin under false pretences of the child being smaller/younger and OP has stated this not to be the case because they originally chose a 3pax cabin.

ah . . . no.

Two connecting cabins and keep the higher OBC is a pretty good deal.

Get off your pride and enjoy the cruise . . .

Wow! Call me sympathetic but you may want to work on your delivery a teensy bit.

For me, moving to an interior cabin after booking a balcony is unsatisfactory. Then again, I suffer from extreme claustrophobia from a freak accident where I was trapped with limited air. Even have to take something to fly and I used to be a wiz.

Anyway..... It's a big ship. Dangle an OBC in front of a triple cabin.....upgrade......somebody will move for this family. Especially because it was not the guests' fault.

Do the right thing, Royal and you will keep a customer and lots of excellent free PR. Move them down to inside cabins and they will get stinky PR. It's a customer service no brainer.

I was a TA in a former life. Royal can move heaven and earth to make things right. They did some serious customer service help years ago with guests on the Monarch when she ran aground in Phillipsburg. I had 4 couples onboard and a honeymoon couple on next. They " colored outside the lines" for my guests.

Doesn't the D5 have a sofa - not a sofa bed but a sofa? They may not allow this however IDK

Checked there are no triple or Quad Balcony cabins available for the Jan 4 Allure sailing

I wouldn't wait a week to get this resolved - that will bring you to Dec 29??:eek:

Edited by LovesCruising

Wow! Call me sympathetic but you may want to work on your delivery a teensy bit.

For me, moving to an interior cabin after booking a balcony is unsatisfactory. Then again, I suffer from extreme claustrophobia from a freak accident where I was trapped with limited air. Even have to take something to fly and I used to be a wiz.

Anyway..... It's a big ship. Dangle an OBC in front of a triple cabin.....upgrade......somebody will move for this family. Especially because it was not the guests' fault.

Do the right thing, Royal and you will keep a customer and lots of excellent free PR. Move them down to inside cabins and they will get stinky PR. It's a customer service no brainer.

I was a TA in a former life. Royal can move heaven and earth to make things right. They did some serious customer service help years ago with guests on the Monarch when she ran aground in Phillipsburg. I had 4 couples onboard and a honeymoon couple on next. They " colored outside the lines" for my guests.

I agree, on a ship this size that is not sold out, there should be a solution. The cruise line may just have to look through the balcony guarantee cabins to see if couple was assigned a triple; if so, they could be reassigned. If not, they could they could look through regular balcony bookings to find somebody who might be moveable. An OBC would go a long way to solving the issue. Or the cruise line could give this family an inside along with the balcony; nobody will do bed checks, so the family can share as they planned all along.

No they don't. Once they've pulled up a reservation they have access to all your booked and past sailings. I was recently on the phone to tweak some things for a cruise. When we were done, I said I had a question about another cruise. Without missing a beat, the agent responded, "Serenade, Liberty, or a new booking?"

Interesting. When I made a payment on my quantum cruise about a week ago I also needed to change something with one of my upcoming majesty cruises. They asked me for the reservation number. this was the diamond + desk too.

What is it you are amazed about? People who cruise with small children are interested in this topic. If you do not cruise with small children then maybe you are amazed about this subject, but really, what is your point?

Agreed.

I am constantly amazed at the gall of the "I joined a free internet website many years ago and have 10K + posts so somehow my opinion is more important than yours"

OP, how are things working out?