Best way to book a cruise that you may have to cancel last minute...

kpee

Strange request...we have never used RC's insurance so we are not exactly sure what it covers. We will be sailing out on Oasis in April and really want a family member to join us. Problem is they have a sick pooch and are afraid they may have to cancel because she may not be able to leave him. Is that a valid excuse for insurance? Or is there a better way to do it? We really want her to come, but she is afraid she will lose her $.

I would check out Insuremytrip.com and look for a policy that includes a cancel for Any reason provision...as much as I love my pet's I'm pretty sure that isn't going to be a covered reason under RCL's policy...

I would check out Insuremytrip.com and look for a policy that includes a cancel for Any reason provision...as much as I love my pet's I'm pretty sure that isn't going to be a covered reason under RCL's policy...

Just to add.

A Cancel For Any Reason policy has a couple of set backs you may want to consider.

1. It's a little more expensive

2. To use this to cancel, you must exercise this option at least 48 hours before beginning of trip.

3. all of these policies only cover between 50% to 90% of covered costs depending on provider. Some only pay back as a future cruise credit, not as a cash refund.

Having said that, this is the best option.

A pet dying will not be covered under a normal travel insurance policy.

I love pets, but I don't think it is it worth it for her to book. If the dog is still alive in April, she is not going to want to leave. If the dog unfortunately passes away, she is better off looking for a last minute fare.

The problem with cruise line cancel for any reason insurance, is that she will not get the money back. Pet loss is not a covered reason, so she will get a return of the taxes and fees and then a future cruise certificate for only 75% of the rest of the cruise fare. The certificate must be used within one year. It wouldn't really help with reimbursement for her loss.