Best Concierge D or E suite on Voyager? Also does Regent do hosted tables for dinner?

wenjoyjack

We are looking at booking our first Regent cruise (have done 2 Seabourn so far). Can you seasoned Voyager and Regent cruisers advise the most preferable suite position in these categories. Also we loved sitting on hosted tables on Seabourn and meeting many new people. We are Aussies and we are definitely in the minority, so not much chance of meeting anyone we know but we love making new friends!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can't help you with the concierge levels, since we've always done a G on deck 6. I see little benefit to the concierge levels, but I know there are now perks available. In general, midship is good. Do not go aft at these levels, the ship has a vibration at the stern.

As for hosted tables, I don't believe there is anything like this, but you are encouraged to walk into Compass Rose and tell the maitre'd that you wish to be seated with others, and specify the size of the table. I find 6 is best, 8 is too big for conversation. This is a great way to meet others, we have had many great evenings that way.

From one Wendy to another - many thanks. I did the figures and the extras for this level come out ahead. We have just been bumped off our Capetown to Singapore cruise on the Insignia due to the tragic fire and having done the figures with the premium wine package and no other inclusions on Oceania, Regent's offering comes out much better. Thank for the advice on aft - I have read similar comments on various posts - Cruise Critic and contributors are a fund of great information.

Sorry to hear that you were affected by the fire on the Insignia. That was so tragic for many people. Good to hear that you will be sailing on Regent for the first time.

I agree with Wendy The Wanderer in terms of having a mid-ship suite. The Voyager is our favorite ship but does have an aft vibration that can be annoying to some people. In terms of location, category "D" on Deck 9 is a really good location as is category "E" on deck 7. What I look at when selecting a suite is what is above and below the suite. On deck 10, for instance, the category "D" suites are under the swimming pool (not a good place to be). We also avoid suites under a restaurant or the gym.

You may be surprised to learn that there are quite a few Aussies on Regent (depending upon time of year and itinerary). While the majority of passengers are from the U.S. and Canada, passengers from the U.K. and Australia aren't that far behind.

I'm not certain what you mean by "hosted tables". Do you mean tables hosted by officers?

Thank you so much, that is exactly the info we need. I was looking at the D suites on Deck 10 because I love to be as high as possible. Now I will concentrate on 9 and 7. The hosted tables are indeed hosted by ship's officers, doctor, cruise director, entertainers, etc. you simply tell the people in Seabourn Square that you would like to be included on hosted tables and invitations are issued. You can accept or decline but it is a great way to meet a lot of different people, also good for solo cruisers.

Our first Voyager cruise was in a PH cabin near the forward elevators (721), and our second was in a D concierge, just forward of the aft elevators (953).

Being close to the elevators in either location was very convenient for popping back to the cabin quickly. Highly recommended.

We preferred being close to the aft elevators, as that location is also closer to the laundry. It cut way back on the time spent doing laundry, being able to just pop around the corner and not having to haul loads the length of the ship. DH liked the convenience of being above the Coffee Connection to bring a cappuccino back to the cabin and found he was able to just as easily use the Lido deck's machine when we were in 953.

The vibration issue wasn't an issue for us, perhaps because we were far enough forward in 953.

I also chose to be on deck 9 as opposed to 10 due to noise from the deck chairs on 11.

An interesting note if you prefer forward cabins: I noticed on the deck plans that there is an empty space between for example penthouse 721 and 719. You'll see this occurs all the way across and all the way up. Curious, I looked at these cabins from the dock and it appears the extra couple of feet is added to the verandahs of the "Verandah" or "Concierge" cabins next to the Penthouses.

We are on the Voyager right now, and we are in 911, and we love our location. Kind of a private area, but far from laundry. You would probably like midship. Those who we have met on 7 love their deck, so preference, preference, preference. She is a beautiful ship.

We are first timer's on Voyager as we are usually Oceania.

Thank you so much. Today, thanks to the advice from fellow cruisers above, I asked my TA to book 912 or 913. I would be very interested to hear your experience on Voyager versus Oceania. We were booked on the Insignia but due to the tragic fire we are now looking for a new cruise. The itinerary we want is serviced by both Regent and Oceania. We love the all inclusive as we have had 2 cruises with Seabourn. Being Aussies, we also do not cope with tipping - it is alien to us, so, stressful if we have to cope with it (I know this probably sounds strange when it is a normal part of your life). Love to hear a comparison from you, also your opinion on the included excursions on Voyager. Hope you are having a fabulous cruise.

... Being Aussies, we also do not cope with tipping - it is alien to us, so, stressful if we have to cope with it (I know this probably sounds strange when it is a normal part of your life)....

That's funny--to an North American, *not* tipping can be quite stressful at times.

Comparing Regent to Oceania, I think that we would chose Oceania again; however, that being said, we are really enjoying Regent, so again, I refer to the word "preference."

The excursions seem to be to our satisfaction. Also, it is nice if we feel that we cannot do an excursion one day, we just let them know so that someone on the "wait list' might be able to join in that excursion. Some don't like the included excursions, but I do like that feature. They do not overcrowd the buses, and they seem to have a well-planned itinerary.

We have been on Oceania 16 times, so our comfort level there is the best. We much prefer the Terrace restaurant topside as opposed to Regent. We can return from a long day out, freshen up, and head to the Terrace for a leisurely snack (also, they have what they serve in the dining room). On Regent, it becomes an Italian restaurant at night, and you still must dress. I think the food is good here, but I think it is much better on Oceania.

The shops are so high-end that we don't even patronize them. Nothing cute to shop for. Also, on this trip, there are NO, and I repeat NO lecturers on the ports we have been visiting. That is a real downer for us. We are very disappointed in that aspect. Whenever we are on O, they seem to have lecturers for that itinerary as well as other topics, of course. The lecturer on this trip is quite good, but he is covering aircraft and pilots. We need something on the Indian Ocean and ports.

The reason we changed from the Oceania Cape Town to Singapore trip to this trip was because of the pre-cruise safaris and other benefits offered on this trip. We LOVED the pre-cruise safari and are enjoying the extra benefits, but I think if I had it to do over, we would stay on Oceania.

I will write more as we proceed.

If your goal is to meet, and enjoy the company of, new people, a hosted table with officers is not necessary. You can simply ask the maitre d' to seat you at a larger table--I've found 6-people tables to be the sweet spot for conversation and making new friends. Too often, an officer host can be a damper on lively conversation (though there are some notable exceptions to this).