Are NCL Cruise Consultants on the same page as NCL Customer Service?

jkelly8646

I can't comment on anyone else's motives, but we're frequent NCL cruisers, enjoy our NCL cruises, but see substantial shortcomings in some areas of their operation.

One of the most glaring deficiencies is in their telephone customer service (this is a problem in numerous industries/companies, not just cruising and NCL).

I just saw the above comments posted under NCL CRACKS ME UP.

I couldn't agree more. I loved the cruise - Hotel Director Jenny :) was outstanding! The NCL customer service :confused: is clueless.

I booked a last minute cruise 11 days before scheduled departure. I thought I had found a "Gem" of a deal. I did the booking via telephone with an NCL cruise consultant. As the Gem was undergoing construction in November of 2014 (moving restaurants), the cruise consultant offered me two unsolicited perks to seal the deal. I was offered OBC and double latitude points (which would have brought me up to the gold tier).

I assume NCL had quite a problem filling the ship during this period of construction. The day before departure, I once again called NCL cruise consultant and asked about upgrading my room. The upgrade price was quite reasonable. In retrospect, I now realize I should have been suspicious. I confirmed the upgrade and specifically asked about the prior week's offer of OBC & Latitude point perks. I was assured that these perks would be honored along with my cabin upgrade.

However, when l again inquired while on-board, the perks suddenly vanished. I was told to contact NCL Customer Service when I arrived home. I contacted NCL in writing and explained my situation. I eventually received an email response, indicating that due to my upgrade in cabin "these promotions were not combinable with the previous fares booked. It is most unfortunate that the promotions were not explained to you before you cruise."

Actually, the promotions were very clearly explained to me.

Lessons learned:

(1) When waiting to speak to cruise consultants, I was cautioned that my telephone conversation may be monitored to ensure quality. Should I ever feel foolish enough to again call NCL, I will most certainly record my conversation with them.

(2) My in-laws tell me that Royal Caribbean & Carnival also have some fantastic Caribbean cruises.

I can't comment on anyone else's motives, but we're frequent NCL cruisers, enjoy our NCL cruises, but see substantial shortcomings in some areas of their operation.

One of the most glaring deficiencies is in their telephone customer service (this is a problem in numerous industries/companies, not just cruising and NCL).

Sounds very familiar...;)

I agree. So hard to get a straight answer from ANYONE at NCL. They constantly contradict themselves and if NCL feels they will even lose $1 NCL will almost always find a reason to rescind a promise. I understand it's a money making business but they really have to train everyone who comes in contact with the public better.

I agree. So hard to get a straight answer from ANYONE at NCL. They constantly contradict themselves and if NCL feels they will even lose $1 NCL will almost always find a reason to rescind a promise. I understand it's a money making business but they really have to train everyone who comes in contact with the public better.

And that's the main reason I go through a TA and not NCL directly. First on NCL in 2008 we had this issue. Much better on the Gem during the last Bermuda sail in 11. So Jenny is the HD now. She was the AHD when we last sailed!

Retired from solving other People's Problems

CWO-4 US Army Retired/Medical

NSDQ!!!

Why do you call when you can email with full paper trail as your back up? I do most of my talking through emails.

An email "paper trail" is hardly a viable back-up. Much like your post above, an email "paper trail" can easily be edited by any party included on the email.

Even if the change is discovered, you'll have a difficult time PROVING a) which version is the true unedited original, and b) specifically who made the change.

For many people, a simple phone call is an efficient way to come to an agreement...which can then be shared between the parties in writing.

An email "paper trail" is hardly a viable back-up. Much like your post above, an email "paper trail" can easily be edited by any party included on the email.

Even if the change is discovered, you'll have a difficult time PROVING a) which version is the true unedited original, and b) specifically who made the change.

For many people, a simple phone call is an efficient way to come to an agreement...which can then be shared between the parties in writing.

The body of the email - yes, that can be edited. The PDF attachment of the receipt / Confirmation; unless someone is that good and creative with Abode Reader Rewriter / Photoshop - hard to edited a PDF document in basic reader program. Good to have that PDF attachment from NCL - its proof you spoke to them either email or telephone.

Agree with Dr. Football - but isn't that pretty sad (albeit good) advice? - having to go through a TA rather than direct to NCL, not for the convenience nor amenities, but for protection from the shady business practices of the cruise line.

The advice doesn't protect anyone from cruise lines practices (there are occasional bad apples everywhere in sales/customer service industries, choosing one company over another doesn't guarantee anything) - it merely makes sure that cruise line has to pay the commission to TA and hence pockets less money than by customer booking direct with them.