Our Crown cruise experience + kudos to Princess

Sandy R

DH and I sailed the Crown Princess to Mexico 12/13/14. First day aboard we entered the mini-suite on Dolphin deck and found the cabin stifling hot. I immediately called the Purser’s Office and told them we had a problem. They said they would call engineering. By the time we came back to the cabin that evening, after dinner and after seeing a show, the cabin felt cool again… even though engineering never came. In the morning, I cancelled the engineer. Two days later, after returning from Puerto Vallarta, the air/heat/fan system in the mini stopped completely. Thank goodness we had a balcony door to open!

I called the Purser’s Desk again and they said they would contact the engineer dept. as an emergency. Five minutes later, 2 engineers were inside our cabin. Try as they might, in 2 hours, back and forth from our cabin to somewhere inside the ship, they couldn’t find the problem. They did open a section of the ceiling in the sitting area to give us some air. They were very apologetic that they couldn’t find the problem. They said they would return the following day, while we were out and about in Mazatlan. Meanwhile, I talked to Purser’s Desk manager, Alexa, who was sympathetic to our plight but told us no other cabin was available for us to move to. The cruise was full, over 3000 passengers, so when Alexa said there were no available cabins, I wasn’t surprised.

After seeing Mazatlan, we returned to the ship. I prayed our mini-suite would be cool again. Mazatlan was not only very warm but also very humid. Opening the balcony door wasn’t going to be a great option. We opened the cabin door to see the drapes drawn and the opening in the ceiling still open. I returned to the Purser’s Desk and Alexa. I was ready to cry. In 47 Princess cruises, we honestly never had a problem with any mini-suite we’ve booked.

Alexa came out with a smile on her face. A couple had missed the ship in San Pedro and were supposed to board the ship in Mazatlan. Alexa had been informed by Princess that morning, they would not be coming, so their Dolphin aft suite was now available to us. Alexa arranged for a steward to help us move and gave us our new cruise cards.

We have had an aft suite before so we knew how nice it was. And, the air-conditioning worked perfectly. And, because we were now in a suite, we could have breakfast at Sabatini’s… yum. We had made reservations at the Crown Grill when we boarded that ship, for after our day in Mazatlan. Princess reversed the charge that night because we were now in a suite.

We were very, very lucky everything worked out so well. It’s always nice when there’s a good outcome! We are grateful to the Princess staff and crew and to the two engineers. BTW, our original steward caught us in the hall a few nights later, letting us know after 2 full days of working inside the cabin, the problem in the mini-suite was finally fixed.

We are looking forward to boarding the Crown again in March, for our anniversary... in a Dolphin mini down the hall from the mini we had this December.

Edited by Sandy R