questions about shore excursions

Hello all,

I wasn't sure how to search for an answer to this questions so I apologize if it's redundant.

We're first time cruisers getting super psyched for our May 30th sailing on the Oasis.

Our first port of call is Nassau Bahamas and we were thinking of signing up for

the water park day at Atlantis.

couple of questions.

1) a few folks have suggested to book our own excursion and don't go through RC. does anyone know if the Atlantis allows non guest to enjoy their water park without going through RC?

2) Of course with this being our first cruise I have horror visions of missing the boat. :rolleyes: when do folks recommend getting back to the ship?

3) do we arrange transportation back ourselves and is it fairly easy to do?

Thanks all

Camp

Atlantis allows anyone to enjoy their water park, you don't have to be on a ship excursion. I would try to arrive back at the ship at least an hour before all-aboard time. Taxis are plentiful at the ship and Atlantis. I'm thinking it's about $4 per person, one-way, between the cruise terminal and Atlantis.

A cab is the fastest, easiest way. You can pay Atlantis for a pass, or book through Comfort Suites (sister property)....you do NOT need an excursion at all to do this.

You will need to be ONBOARD 30 mins. prior to sail away...so leave Atlantis at least an hour prior....just to be safe! The hotel will call a cab for you, if there isn't one waiting already.

Camp,

Even if your question is redundant, a lot has changed recently and its worth talking about. Personally, I would avoid anything to do with Atlantis while you're there on Oasis. I know that can be hard to do. Over the past few years the time Oasis spends in port at Nassau had changed +/- 1 hour. The itinerary forces the ship to leave early to get to its next stop. I've seen all aboard as early as 1:30pm. Believe me they aren't in any hurry to get you over there either. While Atlantis is a truely unique and fun place, I would wait till you can spend more time there to make it worthwhile. When I was there on Majesty in 2013 it was late October and the prices were about half what they are other times and Majesty was in port from 8am to midnight. That was a fun day. IMO I wouldn't do anything with Atlantis being in port for only 1/2 day. Of course Royal doesn't make it easy as at least 1/2 of their official sponsored excursions seem to be Atlantis oriented. (This is one reason I do a lot of private excursions.)

Edited by BillOh
Couple typos.

OP... Your cruise is scheduled to leave Nassau at 2:00 PM. Considering the recommended hour to get back to the ship, you are talking 1:00 PM time to leave Atlantis. If memory serves me right, Atlantis doesn't open until later in the morning.

You should then consider if this is enough time to enjoy the water park, given the cost.

We chose to not go for this very reason. You just aren't in port in Nassau that late in the day for make it worth the money for us.

Camp,

Even if your question is redundant, a lot has changed recently and its worth talking about. Personally, I would avoid anything to do with Atlantis while you're there on Oasis. I know that can be hard to do. Over the past few years the time Oasis spends in port at Nassau had changed +/- 1 hour. The itinerary forces the ship to leave early to get to its next stop. I've seen all aboard as early as 1:30pm. Believe me they aren't in any hurry to get you over there either. While Atlantis is a truely unique and fun place, I would wait till you can spend more time there to make it worthwhile. When I was there on Majesty in 2013 it was late October and the prices were about half what they are other times and Majesty was in port from 8am to midnight. That was a fun day. IMO I wouldn't do anything with Atlantis being in port for only 1/2 day. Of course Royal doesn't make it easy as at least 1/2 of their official sponsored excursions seem to be Atlantis oriented. (This is one reason I do a lot of private excursions.)

I agree that is why when we on the Allure we did not do that excursion there wasnt enough time to be able to enjoy it

I agree that is why when we on the Allure we did not do that excursion there wasnt enough time to be able to enjoy it

I agree. Atlantis is a pricey and you want to have enough time to enjoy it to make it worth going. :)

Thanks for the advice all,

I totally forgot to check the total time at port!! 10 lashes with wet seaweed for me.

I think we'll pass.

Also check out the ports of call section, trip advisor, and ask your roll call members what they're planning (or what they have enjoyed in the past).

My visit to Nassau had a late arrival and we enjoyed a water taxi over to Atlantis and a free stroll through the property, before heading back aboard. I'm told there are marching geese somewhere, but we missed that sight.