Mayan ruins with limited mobility

Sparkygirl

We are sailing with my 98 year old grandmother, she can walk short distances and we have a lightweight transport chair in which we push her. There are 6 of us traveling including my mom and dad, my husband and I and our 3 year old daughter. She only weighs 100 lbs that we are able to assist her. We are sailing on the NCL Dawn out of New Orleans to the western caribbean, does anyone know if there is a Mayan Ruin site that would be a good for us to go visit?

I've been to Altun Ha in Belize which is flat, level and open the challenge is Belize is a tender port so we may not be able to get off the ship. Chacchoben looked promising in Costa Maya but the description states those with walking difficulties will not be allowed to participate.

We are sailing with my 98 year old grandmother, she can walk short distances and we have a lightweight transport chair in which we push her. There are 6 of us traveling including my mom and dad, my husband and I and our 3 year old daughter. She only weighs 100 lbs that we are able to assist her. We are sailing on the NCL Dawn out of New Orleans to the western caribbean, does anyone know if there is a Mayan Ruin site that would be a good for us to go visit?

I've been to Altun Ha in Belize which is flat, level and open the challenge is Belize is a tender port so we may not be able to get off the ship. Chacchoben looked promising in Costa Maya but the description states those with walking difficulties will not be allowed to participate.

contact Ivan at Native Choice in Costa Maya -we visited after my husbands hip replacement when he could manage a few steps but not long distances

The whole of the site wont be accessible but there is a gravel path to the first pyramids you could probably manage with the transport chair

a Private tour is your best bet rather than being on a large ship tour bus

explain your situation and see what they suggest

There's a small group of ruins at Cozumel. A 15 minute taxi ride from the ship. If, of course, your ship docks at Cozumel - "Western Caribbean" isn't very specific - what ports are you visiting?

Sorry, We are visiting Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya and Cozumel

Then the Cozumel ruins (San Gervasio) will be a good one to visit. The paths are flat and, from memory, mostly wheelchair accessible. There are one or two Mayan paths which are rough large stones and absolutely inaccessible for wheelchairs and for poor walkers, but most of the paths are modern and flat. The site is small - we were there for not much over an hour - but genuine. It has nothing like the size of ruin as Tulum, but Tulum is about three hours journey each way. This one is a 15 minute taxi ride. Here's what I wrote in my diary of June 2011:

"At about 2.15pm we went ashore. It was fine by then, but cloudy, and not too hot. The way out of the cruise terminal took us via a roundabout route past many shops, which we ignored, to the sea front.

From here, we took a taxi to the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio - this was to have been the highlight of our original morning tour. There were very few people about, and we spent an hour wandering about marvelling at the large stone structures. We also saw several large lizards. At 4pm our taxi was waiting for us, and we were soon back at the quay. After walking back through the shops, giving them a look this time (without buying anything), we were back at the quay. There were bicycle taxis available - no fee, just tips - so we rode back to the ship, saving ourselves a walk of 5 minutes or more."

Google the site and look at the photos. You'll be able to pick up what the paths look like as well as seeing the buildings.

I second the suggestion to rent a wheelchair from special needs at sea or care vacations. Phone and have them deliver a small one, not the huge ones for people like me. Transport chairs simply will not work. Tulum is doable with a wheelchair. It can be very hot though, so wear hats and take water.