Dinner Menus posted ahead of time?

michelle028

Hi Cruisers,

First time on Princess...going on the Regal Princess.

Are dinner menus posted ahead of time outside the MDR restaurants? or is it on your stateroom tv?

Let me know! Thx:)

P.S Just remembered something... I also had a Random Q - can you check your cruise statement balance on your Tv as well?

Hi Cruisers,

Are dinner menus posted ahead of time outside the MDR restaurants? or is it on your stateroom tv?

P.S Just remembered something... I also had a Random Q - can you check your cruise statement balance on your Tv as well?

Yes they are posted outside the venue.

Never was in the cabin long enough to see anything like that on the tv when we sailed the Regal in the Med in Oct.

In the morning, the lunch menus will be in a display case outside of each main dining room. After lunch, the dinner menu for that night replaces the lunch menu.

Unless things have changed for the new ships, you can't check your account on the in-cabin tV. But there is a kiosk that's by the passenger services desk that you can swipe your cabin card and see what the balance is.

The Regal has Princess@Sea which means that you can check your folio on your computer, smartphone, or tablet as well as events listed in the Patter, dining times, and a host of other information. You can also message other passengers on the ship. All for free. The large TV features hundreds of movies and TV shows on demand as well as CD talks, port talks and some lecturers rebroadcast. All for free. But no folio on the TV.

Hi Cruisers,

The diner menus for the night's main dining room are posted outside of all dining rooms and the AND the Horizon Court. The only exception is that the breakfast menu and then the lunch menu will be posted outside of the one main dining room that is serving those meals that day and then changed to the diner menu after those meals are over. No menus on stateroom TV yet.

The Regal has an Intra-net (free to use) system that you can log onto with your smart phone, tablet or laptop and check your cruise statement, find the scheduled activities for the day and check some other things (I don't remember them all right now). btw, for connecting to the satellite Internet there is still a charge and be prepared for lots of frustration using it on the current Caribbean itinerary.:mad:

The Regal has Princess@Sea which means that you can check your folio on your computer, smartphone, or tablet as well as events listed in the Patter, dining times, and a host of other information. You can also message other passengers on the ship. All for free. The large TV features hundreds of movies and TV shows on demand as well as CD talks, port talks and some lecturers rebroadcast. All for free. But no folio on the TV.

Thx for the info, so helpful! How would you message other passengers using the intranet?

Thx for the info, so helpful! How would you message other passengers using the intranet?
I haven't used it yet but from what I understand, it's like texting but through the Princess@Sea link. You won't receive an alert that you have a new Message. All you need is WiFi capability. When you turn on your device's WiFi and select the ship's WiFi, a log-in page will appear. You input your name, cabin # and create a password. A list of options will appear. These are all part of the free Intranet. I assume "Message" is an additional option. Princess is supposed to be releasing an app that would be closer to texting. Here's a screenshot of the Intranet options on the Royal last year:

bc7e438fa62792a783fca7b8116b0591.jpg

Why can't Princess display the Folio and Menus on TV as other cruise lines do it? If you can access it via Princess@Sea, it should be available on TV.

Why can't Princess display the Folio and Menus on TV as other cruise lines do it? If you can access it via Princess@Sea, it should be available on TV.

After talking to the Internet manager on our Regal cruise (and, btw, I'm not sure how accurate his information was, but, that's another story) all of this inter-ship technology is a work in progress right now. I had asked about the texting communication app that was promised to be on the Regal in November. He said that Princess initially released it and immediately realized it was too buggy to work correctly and pulled it back. Now the release date has been pushed to sometime in January (or maybe February). I guess we will see it when we see it.

Edited by ar1950

After talking to the Internet manager on our Regal cruise (and, btw, I'm not sure how accurate his information was, but, that's another story) all of this inter-ship technology is a work in progress right now. I had asked about the texting communication app that was promised to be on the Regal in November. He said that Princess initially released it and immediately realized it was too buggy to work correctly and pulled it back. Now the release date has been pushed to sometime in January (or maybe February). I guess we will see it when we see it.

I don't expect you to answer this, Howeve, Princess is owned by Carnival. I don't cruise Carnival, but does any other Carnival line have this capability? If so, why would Carnival have a problem rolling this out Carnival wide without each line developing their own?

I don't expect you to answer this, Howeve, Princess is owned by Carnival. I don't cruise Carnival, but does any other Carnival line have this capability? If so, why would Carnival have a problem rolling this out Carnival wide without each line developing their own?

Sorry, I have no idea if any other Carnival Corporation brands have this capability. Or, how, or why they do this stuff in the manner that they do it.:cool:

I would add that having or not having all of the latest technology is a minor part of my cruising experience.:D

Edited by ar1950

Princess is owned by the Carnival Corporation, not the cruise line. I don't think any of the lines owned by the Corporation have interactive TV systems. I think Princess is the first. Carnival Corporation is implementing new Internet technology throughout all their brands.

Having your folio on the TV hasn't been a priority or in demand by Princess passengers. Many didn't have or use computers and a surprising number still don't. Personally, I think having my folio available on my phone rather than the TV is much more convenient. I never turn on my TV. Never have and probably won't. No interest in watching TV. But I do use my iPhone.

I am of two minds about this. I liked being able to see the menu on the TV screen when cruising Carnival, but I also like the ritual of walking to the DR to see the menu posted outside. That's kind of high point in my day. LOL.

Princess is owned by the Carnival Corporation, not the cruise line. I don't think any of the lines owned by the Corporation have interactive TV systems. I think Princess is the first. Carnival Corporation is implementing new Internet technology throughout all their brands.

Having your folio on the TV hasn't been a priority or in demand by Princess passengers. Many didn't have or use computers and a surprising number still don't. Personally, I think having my folio available on my phone rather than the TV is much more convenient. I never turn on my TV. Never have and probably won't. No interest in watching TV. But I do use my iPhone.

I know the difference between a line and a corp. However, thank you for clarifying it for those who don't know that.

I am surprised that you can make such a statement that 'TV hasn't been a priority or in demand by Princess passengers.' How many people don't bring a phone (cell Phone) on a cruise to do what you do. I think it is more convenient to use the TV rather than a cell phone to check my bill and the menus, plus other things. You many never turn your TV on, however, many others do.

Different strokes for different folks!

Maybe if Princess was not in the dark ages with this technology you would have a reason to turn on your TV......and how do you know this feature is not in demand?

I am surprised that you can make such a statement that 'TV hasn't been a priority or in demand by Princess passengers.' How many people don't bring a phone (cell Phone) on a cruise to do what you do.
A lot. I know quite a few people who either have a very basic cell phone or don't use their smart phone for anything other than phone calls. Surprising in today's world but they're definitely out there and onboard Princess ships.
Maybe if Princess was not in the dark ages with this technology you would have a reason to turn on your TV......and how do you know this feature is not in demand?
No reason to turn on the TV, even with the great new system on the Royal. Out of a total of 36 days sailed on the Royal last year and this, I think I turned it on once to watch a port lecture I'd missed. Even at home, I'd rather read a book than watch TV. How do I know viewing one's folio on the TV wasn't in demand? Logic. If there was demand, Princess would have prioritized it. Princess really does react to customer reviews and the surveys. How do I know? Hmmm... let's just say that I know. Edited by Pam in CA

A lot. I know quite a few people who either have a very basic cell phone or don't use their smart phone for anything other than phone calls. Surprising in today's world but they're definitely out there and onboard Princess ships. No reason to turn on the TV, even with the great new system on the Royal. Out of a total of 36 days sailed on the Royal last year and this, I think I turned it on once to watch a port lecture I'd missed. Even at home, I'd rather read a book than watch TV. How do I know viewing one's folio on the TV wasn't in demand? Logic. If there was demand, Princess would have prioritized it. Princess really does react to customer reviews and the surveys. How do I know? Hmmm... let's just say that I know.

You are expressing your preferences. If you are correct, then why does Princess or any cruise line puts that extra cost (TVs) Flat screens in each cabin? Maybe you should suggest that they take them out since you don't use them and put a cell phone in each cabin. How big is your iPhone screen, 3.5 or do you have the iPhone Plus at 5.5? Can't imagine looking at that instead of a TV screen.

Let's just say you know. LOL

You are expressing your preferences. If you are correct, then why does Princess or any cruise line puts that extra cost (TVs) Flat screens in each cabin? Maybe you should suggest that they take them out since you don't use them and put a cell phone in each cabin. How big is your iPhone screen, 3.5 or do you have the iPhone Plus at 5.5? Can't imagine looking at that instead of a TV screen.

You're right. These are my preferences but I'm also pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Princess in general as I've been cruising on them since the early 1990's. And, I've been on CC for many years. People do use their TVs. I know my sister uses it to watch Fox News but wouldn't think to use any of the other features. We're just old, out-of-touch geezers. :) Of course, I first programmed computers for LIFE Magazine in 1963 and worked in the high tech and online industry for almost 30 years, going back to the mid-80s. I have an iPhone 6+ and yes, I'm blessed with eyesight so that I use my 6+ constantly for just about everything. Even reading books at times although I prefer my Kindle Voyager. :) Edited by Pam in CA

I know the difference between a line and a corp. However, thank you for clarifying it for those who don't know that.

I am surprised that you can make such a statement that 'TV hasn't been a priority or in demand by Princess passengers.' How many people don't bring a phone (cell Phone) on a cruise to do what you do. I think it is more convenient to use the TV rather than a cell phone to check my bill and the menus, plus other things. You many never turn your TV on, however, many others do.

Different strokes for different folks!

I don't turn on my cell phone while on a cruise except when we get to port to check emails and also to bring with us just in case we need to get a taxi (before the cruise, I'll get phone numbers for local taxi companies and program in to the phone). My daughter leaves her phone home as she hates it anyway (I bought her the phone with a cheapie phone service) and my hubby doesn't bring his phone, which belongs to his company.

I do use a separate digital camera for taking photos -- it has better resolution and is easily to use for this function. I do use the in-cabin TV to watch movies and also to get info from the navigation channel. I know that I can check my folio at the kiosk by the passenger services desk and can look at each night's menu by a MDR. The one thing I would love to see if the photos taken by the ship's photographer on the TV and be able to order it that way.

I like to think that Princess leapfrogged a generation in technology. The free on demand programming on the new ships is great and Princess@Sea can be expanded with whatever new options are required in the future. I know that not everyone has smartphones or tablets and for those who don't there are still the kiosks to check your statement and the hard copy menus by the DR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was on Costa Fascinosa in 2012 (owned by same Corporation, and made by same shipyard as Regal/Royal Princess) , it featured a complete interactive TV system, from your cabin (or from one of the several kiosks in common areas) you could reserve excursions, treatments, check your account, receive messages. I don't remenber if you could also check the menu or contact other staterooms.

Edited by sailor1362

I was on Costa Fascinosa in 2012 (owned by same Corporation, and made by same shipyard as Regal/Royal Princess) , it featured a complete interactive TV system, from your cabin (or from one of the several kiosks in common areas) you could reserve excursions, treatments, check your account, receive messages. I don't remenber if you could also check the menu or contact other staterooms.
Thanks for the info. Most lines with interactive systems charge a fee for at least some access in order to offset the cost of the system. I assume the Costa interactive system was completely free like Princess' with no surcharge of any kind to use any portion of it.

Not sure when you last bought a TV but flat-screen TVs are the norm and hardly extra cost now. Maintaining old CRT tube TVs would probably but cost-prohibitive.

F

Edited by cubfan63