Calling all Zaandam fans...

shrimp56

Antarctica is on our bucket list in 2016 and Zaandam is the ship. Read recent reviews, not great. I want to hear from Zaandam fans about what they love/like about the ship. I know I can be happy on any dam ship, but I want to hear something other than the dreary reviews.

I am also looking for reviews or info about the Zaandam trip in 2016 going into the antarctic as part of a 21 day trip in Jan./Febr. 2016

It is a very long flight just to get down to Chile and some of the ports are rated only soso. I need to get confirmation that it really is all worth it.

Hoping to hear good news.:)

Ellen

It is a very long flight just to get down to Chile and some of the ports are rated only soso. I need to get confirmation that it really is all worth it.

The flights are brutal, especially in coach. No doubt about it. If you can fly non-stop in a premium economy class (or better) it's a good idea to do so.

But is the cruise including Antarctica really worth it? Oh, yes. Absolutely. Antarctica is the most special place I have ever been. There is no where else on earth like it.

I have done the Rio to Valparaiso w/Antarctica twice, and the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires w/Antarctica once. It was well worth it every single time.

I haven't been on the Zaandam in recent years, so have no idea how the ship is now. It was a favorite when I sailed on her. I loved the music theme, and the little details in how that was carried out.

I've always like the R-class ships, which the Zaandam is.

I did my first HAL cruise on the Zaandam in 2012 from Singapore to Hong Kong. I really enjoyed it. The staff were excellent and very helpful and friendly.

I would definitely sail on the Zaandam again.

I am sailing on the Volendam in April.

Antarctica is on our bucket list in 2016 and Zaandam is the ship. Read recent reviews, not great. I want to hear from Zaandam fans about what they love/like about the ship. I know I can be happy on any dam ship, but I want to hear something other than the dreary reviews.

If you go to page 2 of Zaandam reviews you will find several great ones, including mine, "Historic Cities and Scenic Wonders." A number of us on the 2013 Antarctica Holiday Cruise roll call wrote reviews....all dated around 1/14 or so. Many recent negative reviews were written by cruisers who just joined with zero posts.:(

Our Antarctic cruise was fabulous, and we loved the upbeat atmosphere on the Zaandam!:) We would do it again in a heartbeat, but doubt that we would ever again be blessed with the same perfect sunny weather in Antarctica.

It is a long plane ride and I saved up enough FF miles for Delta Business Elite for DH, and I paid for mine. We arrived rested and ready for our adventure.

We took our recent 31 Day Incan Empires Cruise down to Lima and back because we were still basking in the afterglow of our Zaandam cruise. Unfortunately the Statendam cruise, while fascinating, no where matched the excitement of the Antarctic cruise.

I do hope you will go...and read the good reviews!

Karen

We were on the Zaandam for three weeks last summer and love her. She had been in dry dock since we sailed on her last and looked great. All cabin soft goods had been updated, as were the bars and the rest of the ship. I would not hesitate to sail on her again, infact we will be back on her next fall to Hawaii and I can't wait. She has a great crew, so you need not stress about going on her.

Sailed the Zaandam to Alaska last August. The ship was fine, in good condition and the staff were great. The only thing I didn't like was the decor of the ship, it is painted dark colors and that makes it feel dreary and claustrophobic They have a music theme everywhere which is nice. The other thing I didn't like was the atrium, it has a huge pipe organ going up through the middle taking up all the space. It again makes the space feel closed in and not open. It is not a large shop so these type of decor choices make it seem small.

It's all personal taste though. The rooms were great, food was good and we had a great time. So enjoy...it will be wonderful!

Just back from South America (Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, no Antarctica) last month (sailed 24 November). The ship was TOP-NOTCH! the crew was wonderful! The ports were all worth it -- we did ship's tours everywhere except Puerto Chacabuco (used En Patagonia there and they were great! really on the ball about the concerns of getting back in plenty of time, etc) and Montevideo (where we just walked around as the ship docked practically IN the Old Town district).

The arrangement of public areas was very good -- I don't know how they engineer the acoustics but you could walk from one musician's area to the next venu and never encounter that painful experience of hearing two non-harmonious tunes at the same time. And yet you didn't have to run all over the ship to find your favorite, just stroll down Deck 5 (with the exception of the Crow's Nest which is of course, on the top deck).

There were three of us, me/DH/my mom. We took an upsell from OV to Verandah and were very glad we did. Although the weather does get both chilly and unpredictable (we had relatively good weather and missed no ports!), my mom did sit out on the lounge chair all bundled up with her camera and the Kindle I loaned her. And DH and I love the "big window" the doors make; the views are spectacular. So if you can budget the Verandah I recommend it (pick the "land" side whichever direction you are going, if you have that choice).

The bed was comfortable and even the bed the sofa flipped to make (the stewards did it daily) was "OK to good" as my lightweight mother pronounced. It flips lengthwise so it doesn't have the awful metal bars running sideways across your body! There were down comforters, one per bed, in the closet, but we found the air/heating control to be responsive. There was LOTS of storage: a bank of 3 drawers and a closet door apiece (plus one for either bathrobes or our raincoats and hooks on the wall for the other), not counting the two night-stands. The "flat-surfaces" were sufficient although we did have to keep on top of clutter, with three of us!

If I had to come up with a negative, I could say the shower water pressure was a little weak -- apparently intentionally limited as the pressure in the sink would splash out it if turned all the way on.

I apologize for not getting my Review written and posted! I always say I'm going to do it first thing, but my mom extended her stay with us and we kept busy right through the holidays. I'd be happy to answer any particular questions from anyone! I will check back on this thread.

P.S. I haven't been on a great long list of cruise ships, but out of HAL Statendam, Norwegian Star, and the Zaandam -- Zaandam is my current favorite ship!

If you go to page 2 of Zaandam reviews you will find several great ones, including mine, "Historic Cities and Scenic Wonders." A number of us on the 2013 Antarctica Holiday Cruise roll call wrote reviews....all dated around 1/14 or so. Many recent negative reviews were written by cruisers who just joined with zero posts.:(

Thank you for doing my homework for me ;)

And to all of you for reassuring me. Now all we have to do is make it to Jan 2016 in one piece.

Thanks everyone. I'll look forward to reports.

Which Volendam cruise in April? We're on the repositioning leaving 27 April from Kobe to Vancouver.

I will be embarking on 13th April at Hong Kong and disembarking in Vancouver too!!!

Maybe we could arrange to meet up on board???

Julie