Travel agent or direct with cruiseline booking better?

Looking to book a Carnival cruise in June, need 3 suites for 3 different families. Want travel insurance and visas etc. Is it better to book with a travel agent or directly with Carnival? I would need to talk to someone at Carnival about 2 of my kids with special needs/dietary issues, so am concerned if I go through an agent Carnival won't then speak to me? Conversely if I book with Carnival concerned I will stuff up what visas I need and I don't know how to get travel insurance by myself.

If you are only doing South Pacific on Spirit or Legend you probably will not need Visa - unless you are not Australian.

I have booked directly and also thru TA. If a long trip I go with TA but if only short cruise to South Pacific or New Zealand I do my own booking direct, once with Carnival and no problem, although it was only for 1 inside cabin.

I tend to look at what deals I can get thru the cruise company versus the TA. Both have their benefits and pitfalls but if you prefer control then go direct.

Start by phoning Carnival and see how the interaction goes and if you get to have contact with only one person with your booking and then make your decision.;)

Looking to book a Carnival cruise in June, need 3 suites for 3 different families. Want travel insurance and visas etc. Is it better to book with a travel agent or directly with Carnival? I would need to talk to someone at Carnival about 2 of my kids with special needs/dietary issues, so am concerned if I go through an agent Carnival won't then speak to me? Conversely if I book with Carnival concerned I will stuff up what visas I need and I don't know how to get travel insurance by myself.

Make a "hit list of questions" - include Insurance, diet, visa's, the whole box and dice. Ring Carnival get your answers. Then hit the TA - same questions - get your answers - compare.

If for example - you did book with a TA - then decided to ring Carnival re a question about your booking - they will refer you back to your TA. Bear that in mind.

I have used a TA for numerous reasons some being they know how to manipulate the system, they know what is required to make the booking a smooth process, THEY can deal with any problems and it gives me someone to blame if something goes wrong.

Your assessment sounds fairly right.

Personally I find you have to check your agent pretty tightly as they seem to often make mistakes, especially as you're booking for three. It's easier with Carnival.

But Carnival prob won't assist with insurance and visas (if needed), so it's your call if you're happy to do it yourself. It's not complicated, but depends whether you feel that you can do it.

Personally I find you have to check your agent pretty tightly

It took some time to select the right TA.

I insisted that they had a long career and had travelled on at least one of the ships that belonged to the company I chose to cruise with, and I only dealt with that person for all cruise bookings, insurance and questions, also I chose a TA that had a really good company website.

Also after my cruises I went back and gave my TA some feedback on what I liked and did not like about the cruise and he appreciated that info.

I used the P&O website to book all our shore tours, that worked fine, and I booked our air fares by myself, technology is good when it works.:)

Edited by 6666oz

Do you get any perks through any travel agent? Eg. I have a credit card that accumulates frequent flyer points, so I use that card for EVERYTHING. I then use the frequent flyer points to purchase travel agent gift vouchers and "pay off" my cruise with those so cruising doesn't really cost me much at all. But in order to get that I HAVE to use the travel agent that partners with my credit card.

My first cruise I booked with a travel agent. A few issues ... they printed off the luggage tags and boarding passes, etc., but they indicated the incorrect point of embarkation. The travel insurance they offered was very expensive and not great coverage. Good thing I kept a keen eye on everything (as I always do when travelling) and was well aware of the change of embarkation. No "extra" perks offered or given.

Now I book direct through the cruiseline and have not had a problem - so far.

I source my own travel insurance (and very happy with the coverage, service and price)

As for visas I either organise my own (Mr. Google is your friend) or the ship will usually do this for you if needed.

Happy trails.

Edited by LC1950