day trip to Gorges du Verdon

bryce125

Anyone know of a reliable tour operator for a day trip from St Raphael cruise port to Gorges du Verdon?

Anyone been to Gorges du Verdon? Heard its spectacular.

The Gorges are beautiful. And at the end is the town of Moustiers-Sainte-Marie in a beautiful setting (also one of the pottery - faience - centers of France).

It is really a DYI project if you have a very long day in port. Rent a car in St Raphael and drive to Le Muy, then Draguignan and then North towards the Eastern end of the Gorges at Comps-sur-Artuby and then follow the D71 (Gorges road) West. Those are all narrow roads. It will take you close to three hours to reach Moustiers. About two hours to drive back by a shorter road to Draguignan, Le Muy and St Raphael. You need to add time because you will want to stop along the road to see the sights and have lunch and look around Moustiers. So, five hours driving and two or three more for the sights for about 7-8 hours in all. You can google the exact route to get a better idea.

Don't know if you can hire a driver to do it. You don't need a guide. It is just beautiful scenery. Ideally, this is best done in a land vacation in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

I am working with "tours by locals" for an excursion from Marseille. I have it posted on the Epic Roll Call, but so far no takers. I just posted it the other day. I, too, want to see this. I have heard that it is the Grand Canyon of Europe.

Toni

Gorges du Verdon is indeed worth seeing -we went on a coach trip from a campsite over 15 years ago so cant help with current companies

However we were very glad didn't drive our own car as I don't do well with heights/vertigo problem

The road at some points along the canyon is a sheer drop off and the "safety barriers" don't inspire confidence!

I would suggest searching on trip advisor for well reviewed companies and then cross checking back on here to see whether any cruisers have experience of those companies

It is a very long drive in one day (to get back and not to miss the "all aboard" time as well) and not for all that much, I think. The gorges are nice. I would not call them "spectacular". And compared, for example, to the Gorges de l'Ardèche, not even great. Certainly not great enough to warrant all that time getting there and back.

St Raphaël is not far from where I am right now. (staying in Mandelieu). If I were to rent a car from St R. to go somewhere for the day I think I would drive to St Paul de Vence, have lunch, visit the Fondation Maecht and then go back to the ship. Or go to Fréjus perhaps... for that you can use public transport. Or go to Cannes.