Only 7 hours in Nassau??? Starting to dread this destination.

IslandExplorer

Yes, our ship is going to be in Nassau from 7 am to 2 pm. That is it. Being realistic about it, we'll probably have from 8 am to 13:30 pm. 5.5 hours. Essentially, just the morning in Nassau, which from all accounts is a crowded, dirty city filled with other cruise passengers.

What I want to do is to go to an isolated beach to go snorkeling. I've researched various options carefully. Increasingly, this is looking like a pipe dream.

There are probably going to be other boats there. How many cruisers will be there, all vying for the same resources -- 10,000?

It looks like there is absolutely nothing within walking distance of the cruise port.

Any ideas?

Edited by IslandExplorer

Wow, you sure are an optimist! :)

True, your hours in port aren't great but there are still plenty of things to do. There's not much in the way of shore snorkeling in Nassau, so if you're interested in snorkeling, try a boat excursion as angelboysmom suggested. You could take a walking tour (lots of historic buildings and a fort, if you like history), you could do a food tasting tour, you could check out the chocolate factory at Graycliff or the sample the rums at John Watling's distillery, see the Pirate Museum. All of those are within walking distance. Or you could go to the aquarium at Atlantis, just a short cab ride away.

Here is a link to find out how many ships will be in port the day you're there: http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Bahamas/455-Nassau. If you hover over the ships' names, it will tell you the hours. Some ships leave early and some don't arrive till noon so don't worry if there are 5 other ships on the same day. They won't all be there at the same time.

We were there a 1 1/2 years ago and also got there early. My daughter was swimming with the dolphins so we made our way slowly there. Once done we were just going to take a taxi back to the ship. We happened upon this nice taxi driver who ended up taking us all the island for like two hours. I think we spend like $40 or $50........he was so nice and told us everything about this lovely island. We too went to the Rum place which is delish!!! He came in with us and waited for a good thirty minutes. You will find something to do for sure even if it is hiring someone to drive you around the island.

Have a great time!!

Sandi

• 1 month later...

Know how you feel. I started researching Nassau and found some really cool things (Blue Lagoon, water park at Atlantis)...but none are feasible when the ship is only in from 7:30am - 2pm . There is apparently a beach in walking distance (Junkanoo beach), which I'm guessing is where we'll end up for a couple hours. As you said though, many cruise ships so imagine it will get quite busy. It almost seems like a waste of a day / stop.

Here is a link to find out how many ships will be in port the day you're there: http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Bahamas/455-Nassau. If you hover over the ships' names, it will tell you the hours. Some ships leave early and some don't arrive till noon so don't worry if there are 5 other ships on the same day. They won't all be there at the same time.

Cool site! Thanks for sharing.

Edited by LuCruise

Yes, our ship is going to be in Nassau from 7 am to 2 pm. That is it. Being realistic about it, we'll probably have from 8 am to 13:30 pm. 5.5 hours. Essentially, just the morning in Nassau, which from all accounts is a crowded, dirty city filled with other cruise passengers.

What I want to do is to go to an isolated beach to go snorkeling. I've researched various options carefully. Increasingly, this is looking like a pipe dream.

There are probably going to be other boats there. How many cruisers will be there, all vying for the same resources -- 10,000?

It looks like there is absolutely nothing within walking distance of the cruise port.

Any ideas?

Didn't you research this before you booked? You had to know the port times, so if this wasn't to your liking, why did you book it?

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Has anyone done the ship excursion in Nassau: Atlantis Beach Day on the Allure; it is from 8am - 1pm which is enough time for our family. The info on it is kinda "sketchy", stating a viewing of "the digs" (assume this is aquarium), but what about the "beach" part of tour?

Any help here would be so appreciated!

Thanks so much

Francis :)

Nassau has FABULOUS snorkeling but do book excursion off ship . Cant imagine anyone not enjoying this island !! ???? Great, friendly people, beautiful clear water, reefs are great with wonderful snorkeling opportunity. :):):) I've visited a dozen times and always enjoy Nassau.

We were in Nassau those same port hours. We went to the zoo. Neat place! Then walked back, stopped to eat, stopped at a beach, stopped for some yummy shaved ice and shop at the market. Then back to ship. It may not be long port hours but it was fun.

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

Any ideas?

With the short 7:00am to 2:00pm port hrs, consider a ship excursion. The ship will then not leave without you.