Hi All--Newbe to X here

theduffys

Just got off the phone with our TA and have booked the Summit Holiday cruise to Hawaii Dec. 23,06. We have been on 12 cruises (majority-5-on HAL) but never Celebrity before. Since we truly believe that any cruise is better than no cruise, we expect to be happy. Heck, we even found a silver lining when DH got the Norwalk virus on our Panama Canal cruise and we both got quarentined. However, since the planning and anticipation is a great part of the fun, tell me what I am REALLY going to like about this trip.

Glad to join your happy band.

Welcome to X. Haven't cruised on HAL before but have cruised X 3 times with a 4th scheduled in Feb. Other 10 cruises have been on NCL, Princess and RCI.

We really enjoy the cuisine on X ships and the entire dining room experience. Also enjoy the little extras X does to make us comfy and welcomed like the glass of champagne on embarkation, cold towels handed out when coming back from a port visit and super quick room service early in the mornings. (We wake at 6 or 6:30 a.m. on the ship like we do at home. At home I make the morning coffee while my eyes aren't quite opened. On X, DH opens his eyes enough to dial the room service number on the phone and by the time we're fully awake the coffee (and warm danish) are delivered to our door. No, DH doesn't get warm danish at home in the morning. :) )

In light of your mention about your DH being quarantined on ship on a Panama Canal cruise - yet you made lemonaide from lemons - you must be a lot like DH & I. Any cruise can hold terrific memories and times as long as we are together on vacation - on a ship sailing somewhere - :D

Dianne

theduffys ....Welcome to the Celebrity Board! You're in for a real treat on your upcoming cruise!

Celebrity is very much like HAL (rather laid back) with a bit more to do and (in our opinion) better food. Since you like HAL, it's very unlikely that you won't like Celebrity. (Actually, we like Celebrity better BUT don't tell our friends on the HAL board I said this .... :rolleyes: like they don't read this board .... :rolleyes: )

Same as you on our last HAL cruise in January: DH got Norwalk Virus. Naturally, I was quarentined as well. Now, I actually know the meaning of "Cabin Fever"!!!! :D

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Welcome to Celebrity theduffys. I'll be real interested to know what you think of this cruise line after your cruise.

Be sure to check the Roll Call boards to see who else is sailing with you. And, sign up for the cruise connections party.

Enjoy your cruise.

Welcome to Celebrity, duffys ~ I'm with you....any cruise is a good cruise. We have not sailed HAL but have been on Celebrity quite a few times (on Summit twice). She is one of our favorite ships....not too big, not too small (although I know most HAL ships are smaller). Be sure to try the fine dining alternate restaurant on Summit...the goat cheese souffle and the chocolate souffle are two of my favorite dishes at sea (on any ship)....and the entrees are great too.

There are lots of things to enjoy on Summit. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Happy Planning!

Hi Duffy,

We have sailed with HA a couple of times, but only on the Ryndam. We particularly enjoyed the food, service and the smaller size of the ship. We've made four cruises on Celebrity Millennium class ships, and have nothing but the best to say about our experiences. I think that while the the Summit has more passengers than the Ryndam, the ship is larger but very well laid out, and we never have any sense of crowding or lines for activities.

The service on HA is excellent, but I think you will find the Summit provides even more complete and attentive service. While the food is comparable, I think that HA has a more imaginative menu and has an edge in the buffet offerings. The Celebrity specialty restraurant is superior to the the Holland Americans. I think that the Celebrity showroom is outstanding and the entertainment is usually of good to excellent quality. Celebrity excels in the little amenities such as; Iced lemonade and shaded area while waiting for tenders back to the ship, complementary champaign or oj while boarding; cold face towels when returning from shore excursions; sorbet parade around the pool area in the afternoon on sea days.

While the experience will be a little different than what you are accustomed to, I am sure that you are going to enjoy a great itinerary and the sea days aboard the Summit. And speaking of the sea days, Celebrity has an excellent lecture program, particularly on cruise with a large number of sea days.

Petert

Hubby will be very excited if there is a good lecture program. I will be very excited if there is an organized bridge game on the days at sea. Can I expect this?

Have seen many great lectures offered on past cruises featuring many varied topics form photography to history, foreign languages to you name it. Believe many of the offered onboard lectures (outside of the normal spiels from cruise regarding ports of call and shopping) are given by cruisers on the cruise who are accomplished in a given field.

If memory serves me right, I have seen bridge offered in the card room on previous X sailings on sea days. Never attended those sessions, however, to say how they go or if they are actually an organized group. Although DH & I played bridge many years ago, we are more into playing euchre now and attend a Euchre card group here in Hilliard.

When I've mentioned euchre as a card game to people outside the Ohio area they seem to be at a loss about the game and have never heard of it. :confused:

Dianne

Hi Duffy,

We have been on two trans Atlantic cruises on M class ships, and with the large number of sea days they had some excellent speakers scheduled. I imagine that your cruise to Hawaii, with the number of sea days, will also have an interesting program. We had so interesting celebrities, explorers, history and financial speakers, so you will probably find something of interest on your cruise. There has been an organized bridge group on all our Celebrity cruises, but am not sure aboutthe level of sophistication of the classes, but you should be able to find some compatable players.

Petert

Archived