San Juan on Jewel

Leaving from San Juan on the Jewel on Jan. 17 and want to know about the departure area after you check in. Have sailed on Princess in SJ and there was a store in that area complete with food water soda and alcohol...What is it like on the RCI side????

Leaving from San Juan on the Jewel on Jan. 17 and want to know about the departure area after you check in. Have sailed on Princess in SJ and there was a store in that area complete with food water soda and alcohol...What is it like on the RCI side????

Same thing, duty free store after you pass through security.

So they don't care about soda, water or the booze bottles coming on board in your carry ons????

Yes they do care. There are some security folks stationed on the way to the ship, and they can examine carry-ons if they suspect there is alcohol.

So they don't care about soda, water or the booze bottles coming on board in your carry ons????

Your carry-ons will go through another x-ray machine as you board the ship. If they see the bottles, they will confiscate them. You are allowed two bottles of wine per cabin. Hard liquor is not allowed.

Your carry-ons will go through another x-ray machine as you board the ship. If they see the bottles, they will confiscate them. You are allowed two bottles of wine per cabin. Hard liquor is not allowed.

Look online for Rum Runners. Clear plastic bags for your booze. They work.:)

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

Also on Amazon

Same thing, duty free store after you pass through security.

Hello Bob -

If you see this comment please confirm the duty free set up at the RC terminal. Can you purchase wine at the RC cruise terminal duty free store to drink in your cabin?

We sailed this February out of the Carnival terminal and you could purchase wine right before you went thru security. This made life a lot easier - one less thing to haul around. Seems like a great way for someone to make a lot of money.

Thanks

Hello Bob -

If you see this comment please confirm the duty free set up at the RC terminal. Can you purchase wine at the RC cruise terminal duty free store to drink in your cabin?

We sailed this February out of the Carnival terminal and you could purchase wine right before you went thru security. This made life a lot easier - one less thing to haul around. Seems like a great way for someone to make a lot of money.

Thanks

At the terminal that Royal uses in San Juan, the duty free store is after security. You can buy wine there and take it on the ship and drink it wherever you want on the ship.

What do they sell in the duty free shops...??? Is anything they sell from water to soda to alcohol allowed on the ship???

We bought water at the duty free shop and were allowed on the ship with it.

What do they sell in the duty free shops...??? Is anything they sell from water to soda to alcohol allowed on the ship???

Unlike asking Royal Caribbean. The same question doesn't produce different answers...

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port. Alcoholic beverages seized on boarding day will not be returned.

Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

They usually don't have a problem with bottled water or (as I have read) soda. :)

Sailed out of San Juan twice now and each time never had any problems, its one if not the most lax US port there is. You can buy alcohol right there in the port at the little store or at the stand right before the escalator to the ship where they give you free sample shots, which is AFTER the bag scanner, lol

You can take it to your room and go back diwn and get more then go back up, they really don't care.

Edited by jp30338

Yes they do care. There are some security folks stationed on the way to the ship, and they can examine carry-ons if they suspect there is alcohol.

This is not true. They are port security and looking for other things besides some alcohol going on a ship, its not their rule to enforce and nor are they paid to do so by the cruise lines.

There are clearly marked cruise reps to assist you if needed or need help but have no authority to detain and or search bags already cleared.

Edited by jp30338

This is not true. They are port security and looking for other things besides some alcohol going on a ship, its not their rule to enforce and nor are they paid to do so by the cruise lines.

There are clearly marked cruise reps to assist you if needed or need help but have no authority to detain and or search bags already cleared.

Then I wonder why I was asked to show the contents of my bag by a security person right before I got on the elevator?

Then I wonder why I was asked to show the contents of my bag by a security person right before I got on the elevator?

Bombs, drugs, weapons, port security isnt checking for alcohol no matter how much you want to believe it. Remember a cruise line is a guest at a port, they are not paying the port authority to enforce a corporations rule.

Bombs, drugs, weapons, port security isnt checking for alcohol no matter how much you want to believe it. Remember a cruise line is a guest at a port, they are not paying the port authority to enforce a corporations rule.

Interesting that he asked me "Do you have rum in there?"

You are correct about port security not being responsible for checking for booze. However , every time we've sailed on Jewel and before that Serenade as you first walk on board the ship and go to "ding" in there is an x-ray scanner that everyone had to put their carryons through and if they saw something that looked like a bottle they stopped the person and made them open the bag and it was searched. Saw many a bottle sitting on a table right after that.

Wrong!!! The ship has the right to search your bags for contraband and they do. I have sailed out of San Juan the last three years and each time there has been an x-ray machine ON THE SHIP after you cross the gangway.