1st timer - I don't know what I don't know

beason641

Think about the small things you might need on a land vacation. You won't be able to run out to a Walmart if you run out of anything, and you don't want to waste time in a port trying to find someplace to buy the small stuff when you could be on an excursion. There are small necessities available in the shops on the ship, but they can be expensive.

Items I would suggest are a small first aid kit, batteries for any cameras, sunblock and something for sunburn, bug spray (for in port, just in case), etc.

I agree that you likely won't need as many clothes as you are planning on taking. I think I wore my maxi dress for about 4 days on my last cruise, and switched to different outfits for dinner/evening. Took home big piles of shorts and tshirts, still clean and folded!

You may find that the tv in your cabin shows the same few shows over and over and over again. But there will be channels showcasing the ship's restaurants and art sales. The channel showing the bow of the ship has trip info on it, and weather, if I recall correctly. There will also be a daily greeting from the cruise director (generally filmed at the end of the night before, which you can tell by their outfit!) where he/she tells you about what's in store for "today"). And they film some of the shows around the ship, like the Not So Newlywed Game, Dancing with the [ship's name] Stars and Sexy Legs contest, so you can catch them if you didn't see them happen live. It's hard to know when anything is on, however -- it's really quite hit or miss.

One thing we did figure out for the channel that shows tv shows -- if it's a half hour comedy and it runs 22 mins, it won't start on the hour and run for 22 mins. It will start at 8 past the hour! Same for hour long shows -- you have to subtract the number of minutes for the commercials and wait that amount of time past the hour. Strange, but if you're staring at a black screen, good to know.

Most of all, decide what kind of trip this is going to be for you. If you're there to go go go, you can definitely do that. Book excursions and see as many shows and participate in as many activities as you can fit in. If you want to return home completely relaxed and refreshed, don't worry about fitting everything in. There is always another game of bingo. There is always another game of trivia. There is always another cruise!

You will get a sheet of paper when you board (or in your cabin) outlining the main shows/activities for the week. You can use that to identify your "must sees." Maybe one night there's an act in the main showroom you have no interest in. You might want to schedule your special dining evening for that night, or find a seat (early) in a lounge and listen to a piano player.

If you're lounging on deck and the breeze is perfect and you're happy ... let it be and enjoy it. Don't get up to run back to the room to change to run to the other end of the ship for an activity because you're afraid you're missing something.

On the other hand, if you're lounging on deck and getting restless -- go find something to do!

With the exception of some of the main shows, there's no need to do anything but what you feel in the moment. To me that's the best part of a vacation.

Oh - one other thing. When you decide which elevators are closest to your room, take a good look at the artwork in the elevator lobby. That way no matter where you're coming from, you can orient yourself - "Go left at Norman Rockwell" "Do a u turn by the purple flower picture"

For the first few days of the trip you see a lot of people step off elevators, go to the wrong side, read the placard with the room numbers, then turn around and walk to the other side!

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

I'm following this with interest! Our first cruise is 3 weeks away on the Sky. I am hoping there will be happy hours and drink of the day on that ship too!

We sailed the Sky a couple years ago, and there was a drink of the day each day! My favorite was the Rebellious Fish. Planning to have a few on the Epic ina couple weeks!

(Not sure about happy hours, though.)

Have a great first cruise!

When you embark there will be servers offering pretty drinks with umbrellas. Don't be fooled - these are not free.

NCL doesn't supply hair conditioner so if you need more than the basic 2in1 shampoo bring your own. I can't remember, do they provide soap in the shower or only body wash?

Since this is your first cruise you probably don't need the specialty dining or spa package, or other extras, just the basic cruise is enough! Save the extras for future cruises.

Turn off the data on your cell phone or you will be hit with an unbelievable bill. Even if you aren't surfing the web your phone always is, trying to update emails, facebook, etc.

I don't usually have problems with seasickness but I take along ginger pills and Bonine, just in case. No point being sick and miserable if I can avoid it.

Have a great cruise. You will be totally addicted!

Jewel was our first ship. We really enjoyed her very much.

I would suggest bringing a highlighter to use on the things you are interested to do on the Dailies. These information sheets will be placed on your bed each night and to plan for the next day. It is helpful to take them with you each day--- for as the day goes on while cruising we find the beautiful thing is to kind of "go with the flow" and we do not really have a set plan each day. So we take out the paper and see what we might want to do at that particular time of day, or the area of the ship we happen to be in.

Another thing is that there is a video board at different areas around the ship that display how busy the restaurants are at different times of the day. Check them out, if green- not busy. If red, sold out. (I think these were the colors, double check when aboard!)

Try the pretzel rolls in the buffet. Yummy!:)

Hope you have a great experience- Bon Voyage!

Thank you everyone for the great tips, keep them coming. I will be on the Breakaway in May. I say it is my first NCL cruise because my first NCL cruise was over 30 years ago :eek: Do the closet doors swing open or slide in the cabins? I bring a over the door shoe holder with pockets for "stuff" and want to know if I can use it on the Breakaway. Also, can we decorate our door? Nothing big, just so hubby can find the cabin :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for the great tips, keep them coming. I will be on the Breakaway in May. I say it is my first NCL cruise because my first NCL cruise was over 30 years ago :eek: Do the closet doors swing open or slide in the cabins? I bring a over the door shoe holder with pockets for "stuff" and want to know if I can use it on the Breakaway. Also, can we decorate our door? Nothing big, just so hubby can find the cabin :rolleyes:

Closet doors open but they are narrow. I saw a few door decorations and one cabin has the same note on the door almost the whole week (At the pool 3:30).

I just remembered another tip for you....be sure to go to the crew talent show. The last act is "fountains".....you will never stop laughing.:)

It's the best show!!!!

Get to ship early...you can do a lot before sail away

Bonine(sea sickness pills are free at guest services) they work great, never get tired, and we drink(a lot) while taking them. Pretzels and green apples work well too.

Food good....no need for plan, maybe one special dinner if you want

Upon boarding go to the main dining room for lunch-- the staff will try VERY hard to send you to the buffet, but the dining room is a wonderful relaxing way to start your cruise. It feels weird not to get a check, and just get up and leave.

Great outdoors(aft) for breakfast.

Join your roll call and meet & greet.

Don't over pack....but bring conditioner..and any medical stuff your may need....band aides, cold/allergy pills....rather expensive onboard

Magnet to hang notes and plans on the walls, highlighter to mark off events you want to attend

Bring a good attitude ..relax ....and enjoy....there is NOTHING like a cruise

You don't have to pose for any pictures you don't care to pose for!

As you leave the ship, in many/most ports there will be ship photographers trying to nab you to pose for pictures. Sometimes there's a person in a wacky costume (a whale, a bear, etc.), sometimes a nice sign with the name of the port -- all different types. Pose if you want to (there's an onboard photo gallery where you can find the photos later and decide if you want to buy them).

But if you have places to go and people to see and have no interest in posing, you don't have to wait for permission to bypass the photography. Obviously you don't want to photobomb somebody's portrait, but when it's clear, just hold up your hand as you walk by, smile and say "no thank you" if they try to corral you, and keep walking.

Different photographers have different levels of energy over how much they try to get you to pose -- everything from complete indifference to really being a pest (not too many of the latter). You will NOT be the only person bypassing the photos, so don't feel bad. If you have no intention of buying, you are saving them paper and chemicals!