Beware of the Restaurant Discount emails

tuscany2002

Tuscan Grille is $45 when booked on board. You paid $35 when you booked online. That is a 20% discount from the on board price. That tells me you got your discount when you booked before the cruise. It is rare that you can apply yet another discount to an already discounted price. Not sure why you expected to get two separate 20% discounts applied to this meal.

As commented on by other posters, the value of $35 is a 20% discount from the $45 onboard price.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

20% of 45 IS NOT 10 and this doesn't matter if it's in €,$ or £ :eek:!

20% of 45 is 9 and that would give a balance of $36pp.

Furthermore, if the amount included the discount, then it would be relevant to any day and not just a first night special. Currently X is showing a price of $35 for booking via their website pre-cruise, so personally I can understand the OP's confusion, especially after they were assured the discount would be issued onboard as OBC.

This is what happens when there are so many promotions, incentives etc. being offered shoreside: the onboard staff lose all track of what applies and what doesn't. Agree with huskerc's comment, probably Guest Services would have been the best 'port of call' (pun intended :)).

Why didn't you refuse the 30 percent off $45 offer and take a copy of the proof that you already paid $35 per person and a copy of the email showing that you would get an additional 20 percent discount down to guest services and question what happened? It is always a good thing to bring all paperwork with regard to any offers that are to be paid for onboard and anything that has been pre-paid with you on your cruise, so that you have proof, just in case anything is wrong once you get on the ship.

Good advice...we always do this for shore excursions. My fear is to prepay a lot of money and get no tickets. After reading this thread, I'm thinking prebooking restaurants just isn't worth the hassle.

Does anyone know how much Celebrity charges for the Olympic and Qsine restaurants on Millenium. If I book it in advance under "my reservations" it states that each restaurant is $45.00 per person but I am wondering if this is the same price as booking while on the cruise. Any info would be appreciated.

jshli: When I was on the Millennium in December, the cover charge for Olympic was $50 and for Qsine, $45. They did advertise some discounts on certain port days, ranging from 20% to 50% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jshli: When I was on the Millennium in December, the cover charge for Olympic was $50 and for Qsine, $45. They did advertise some discounts on certain port days, ranging from 20% to 50% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you tinywingz. Since both restaurants are charging $45 for booking in advance, I guess only the Olympic restaurant is offering the 10% discount.

I hope people realize that there is no guarantee to a discount once on the ship. And discounts on one ship at whatever time of the year do not equate to discounts being offered at other times of the year and on other ships in the fleet.

Every cruise is unique because the variety of the passengers on any given sailing (and their demand for specialty dining) is unique and different from one sailing to the next. High demand this week is not going to mean the same next week or next month. Choosing to eat in a specialty restaurant is a fun and memorable experience. I would highly recommend it for anyone that has not tried a specialty dining venue in the past.

You have two options.... a) you can plan for it up front, knowing the available restaurant choices on your ship's sailing along with the current pricing and available discounts being offered (pre-cruise) to make a decision that best fits your budget, or b) you can wing it once on board and hope for the best with no guarantee of a discount being offered.

From my own personal experience on the Constellation in NOV 2014, it appears that the cover prices on the ship were higher than what is currently being offered on the Celebrity website. I was going to go onto the website this morning and quickly check, but seem to be having a challenge to bring up Celebrity's website.

Why didn't you refuse the 30 percent off $45 offer and take a copy of the proof that you already paid $35 per person and a copy of the email showing that you would get an additional 20 percent discount down to guest services and question what happened? It is always a good thing to bring all paperwork with regard to any offers that are to be paid for onboard and anything that has been pre-paid with you on your cruise, so that you have proof, just in case anything is wrong once you get on the ship.

I agree that taking a paper copy of documentation for things you have arranged or confirmed (pre-cruise), even for items/services arranged for through Celebrity, is the best plan. If there is a question or dispute on the arrangements or cost, you have something to refer to. Resolutions at Guest Services seem to be reasonable when you have evidence to point to what was offered or promised, in my personal experience.

Good advice...we always do this for shore excursions. My fear is to prepay a lot of money and get no tickets. After reading this thread, I'm thinking prebooking restaurants just isn't worth the hassle.

I don't want to sound critical of your comment because I am not sure I understand the point you are trying to make.

Why are you comparing shore excursions to specialty restaurants?

Wow that was a confusing read, and seems typical of the ambiguity of some of Celebrity's offers and rules [emoji43]. We did the 3 dinner package last October on Solstice, prebook and prepaid so we got a bit of a discount. We've never seen this email of 20% Discount, so even that is weird why some get these offers and others do not.

Once onboard we had a voucher inviting us to dine (can't remember if it was any restaurant, but we ate at Silks) for 50% off as a first night only deal. So we pushed back our first dinner reservation from the package and used the onboard discount for the first night. Thought it was a good deal!!

Am hoping they offer it again as we will love to get an extra visit to Silks in to have some of those delish cream cheese wontons [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Booked for the first night of our February 7th Reflection cruise at Tuscan for $38.50 Cdn. Seems like best thing for us to do since that is the one we both wanted to try for sure and it will cost us $45 US if we book on board. Our $ is really lousy right now, so its a good saving for us. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope people realize that there is no guarantee to a discount once on the ship. And discounts on one ship at whatever time of the year do not equate to discounts being offered at other times of the year and on other ships in the fleet.

I agree entirely but since we also enjoy most of the offerings in the MDR then, in our case, if the ship is not offering an acceptable discount we won't be dining in the speciality restaurant.

This is what the email looks like, we have gotten and utilized the same email offer before so the OP is not confused he/she simply did not get what is clearly promised by Celebrity.

exit: dreaming about vacation. enter: Modern Luxury Enter: Modern Luxury

Book your specialty dining before you sail and save

Dear XXX,

Thank you for booking your vacation with us on Celebrity Summit. We’re excited to welcome you aboard and indulge you with an updated luxury vacation like no other.

Receive special discounts and maximize your vacation time aboard by making your specialty dining reservations online—before you even step aboard. Plan your dining schedule, reserve ahead of time, and all you have to do when you get on board is relax and enjoy your vacation. Plus, get 20% off* any reservation made for the first night of your sailing.

Remember, reservations can be made up to four days prior to your sail date.

Book your specialty dining now and receive exclusive pre-cruise pricing

Celebrity Summit® Specialty Restaurants

Qsine Qsine

Let go of dining inhibitions, roll up your sleeves, and experience this future-forward restaurant where your menu is presented on iPads and a Culinary Tour Guide leads the way.

Enjoy a modern twist on French continental cuisine in an elegantly comfortable setting. World-class service tops off the experience that will surely please everyone in your party. Bon appétit!

RESERVE NOW RESERVE NOW

Book other amenities and services online, too. The more you preplan your vacation, the more time you’ll have on board to do as much (or as little) as you choose for complete relaxation.

LEARN MORE

Readers' Choice Awards To enhance your cruise

with onboard packages

visit celebritycruises.com

or call us at 800-556-8209

Our Celebrity Vacation Planners are available

24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

* Specialty dining reservations must be booked four days prior to departure date. The full reservation fee must be paid when booking online before your cruise, and a 20% refund will be credited to your onboard account

Modern Luxury is a trademark of Celebrity Cruises Inc.

©2015 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ship's registry: Malta and Ecuador.

If you wish to change your preferences or opt to be excluded from future commercial emails from Celebrity Cruises, click here or visit: Celebrity.com

We hope you enjoyed this email from:

Celebrity Cruises Inc.

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

http://www.CelebrityCruises.com

Privacy Policy Celebrity Cruises

© 2015 Microsoft Terms Privacy & cookies Developers English (United States)

Edited by cruisecrazy82

So, it appears the OP was correct in his understanding he would get a 20% discount above his prebooked price, and the host/MD at the restaurant was incorrect.

The chit should have been a zero for the meal, plus any extras, or extra tip.

Even if the host was asked where the 20% discount was, all that was needed was to confirm what the promo email said - it will show as OBC on your onboard account sir.

Edited by harz99