Wrong Cruise Line

mosquito#the45

This is our first P&O cruise but have been on one with RCI and evenings after eating my hubby would go back to the cabin and change into something more comfortable and cooler, often smart shorts ~ would this be acceptable on the Azura in the Med end of July?

The dress code applies in certain bars for the whole evening so he wouldnt be served and my personal opinion is that nobody should wear shorts after dinner anywhere on the ship.

This is our first P&O cruise but have been on one with RCI and evenings after eating my hubby would go back to the cabin and change into something more comfortable and cooler, often smart shorts ~ would this be acceptable on the Azura in the Med end of July?

Hard luck, the basic dress code is evening casual after about 6pm. Shorts are not part of this code, Shorts are for the open decks only or anywhere during the day. I wear chinos in the evening and there are types with thin cool material.

Having been a victim of a 'Jacketgate' scandal on our only P&O cruise a couple of years ago my beloved has encouraged me to try again and we're looking at another short break in a month or twos time. So....does anybody know where I can acquire an exact replica of Horatio Nelsons 'Trafalgar' coat with tails, stand up collar and epaulettes? ;)

Edited by Tarquin

Having been a victim of a 'Jacketgate' scandal on our only P&O cruise a couple of years ago my beloved has encouraged me to try again and we're looking at another short break in a month or twos time. So....does anybody know where I can acquire an exact replica of Horatio Nelsons 'Trafalgar' coat with tails, stand up collar and epaulettes? ;)

So would it not be better -as it is a short cruise you are looking for if you said dearly beloved, I love you, but not enough to purchase a plain simple jacket -or hire one..so I can look as elegant as I am sure you will. So as a compromise we will pick another line that does not ask that I wear a simple jacket some evenings. Ofcourse swings and roundabouts ,the drinks may be more expensive, tours maybe, but hey I do not have to wear a jacket,so while you look elegant I will look?????

Some people like the dressing up part. You can either take part, not take part and just eat and drink where the dress code does not apply, or try another line.

Sorry but my opinion is if your OH is happy doing that, go for it. That sound great. Not sure my figure would be right otherwise I would. Just because there is a dress code, no need to be boring.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

nice one :D

I wonder if 'national dress' means just your national dress? I am thinking grass skirt, spear, plus bone through nose ;)

ps - the spear will be rubber of course :p

pps - I wonder if donkey jackets and hi-visibility jackets are OK ;);)

I wonder if 'national dress' means just your national dress? I am thinking grass skirt, spear, plus bone through nose ;)

Go for it Dave. You must let me know which cruise you are going to be wearing the grass skirt. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have never seen anything stating that donkey jackets or hi-vis jackets are against the dress code.:D

I have never seen anything stating that donkey jackets or hi-vis jackets are against the dress code.:D

Neither have I. A jacket is a jacket or, in the words of the Concise Oxford Dictionary, a "sleeved short outer garment for man or woman". If the desire is to restrict the type of jacket worn a precise wording such as "lounge suit, sports jacket or blazer" may be desirable.

Neither have I. A jacket is a jacket or, in the words of the Concise Oxford Dictionary, a "sleeved short outer garment for man or woman". If the desire is to restrict the type of jacket worn a precise wording such as "lounge suit, sports jacket or blazer" may be desirable.

Or P&O might just think its passengers have an ounce of common sense? Then again....

So would it not be better -as it is a short cruise you are looking for if you said dearly beloved, I love you, but not enough to purchase a plain simple jacket -or hire one..so I can look as elegant as I am sure you will. So as a compromise we will pick another line that does not ask that I wear a simple jacket some evenings. Ofcourse swings and roundabouts ,the drinks may be more expensive, tours maybe, but hey I do not have to wear a jacket,so while you look elegant I will look?????

Some people like the dressing up part. You can either take part, not take part and just eat and drink where the dress code does not apply, or try another line.

Trust me, my beloved doesn't do elegant. Think Stage curtains drawn together at the waist with a cardboard parachute effect hovering over puffy ankles. ;)

But to be honest I didn't realise that other cruiselines left Southampton on short breaks but inspired by your post I now see that they do. I can't wait to see the Royal Carribbean staffs faces when on their 3 day break to Paris I hit the MDR dressed as Napoleon:D

Trust me, my beloved doesn't do elegant. Think Stage curtains drawn together at the waist with a cardboard parachute effect hovering over puffy ankles. ;)

But to be honest I didn't realise that other cruiselines left Southampton on short breaks but inspired by your post I now see that they do. I can't wait to see the Royal Carribbean staffs faces when on their 3 day break to Paris I hit the MDR dressed as Napoleon:D

Wow, what a gent! Your beloved is a lucky girl.

Edited by jaceyar

Hilarious stuff, "Napoleon", "grass skirts", "Tramps Convention", "Stage curtains", I must have a rake around in the loft for my old Parka jacket but it's bound to be be stinking of mothballs, if anyone is on the same ship at the same time you will soon recognise me as I will be the one in the string vest and tracksuit bottoms.:D

Seriously though, I am really looking forward to visiting the cities on the itinerary, it's the only reason I am going and couldn't care less whether it was a channel ferry or not.

To hell with the dress code.:)

if anyone is on the same ship at the same time you will soon recognise me as I will be the one in the string vest and tracksuit bottoms.

And you think that will make you stand out? You will be one of many the way cruise ship clientele are going. Slippery slope.

If I go on another cruise it will be back to Royal Caribbean where the dress code is more relaxed.

About four years ago I decided not to go P&O due to dress code, I just forgot about it this time.

When we went on a mini cruise on the IOS last year the formal night was as formal / not more formal than on Oceana. Everyone was in full formal gear bar none. Just take care where the ship sails from :)

Wow, what a gent! Your beloved is a lucky girl.

Thats what I keep telling her;)

In truth shes really pretty, looks young for her age and has an adorable personality. But I'm sure you'd agree that wearing a Sombrero to ladies day at Ascot confirms she has absolutely no dress sense.

Edited by Tarquin

Thats what I keep telling her;)

In truth shes really pretty, looks young for her age and has an adorable personality. But I'm sure you'd agree that wearing a Sombrero to ladies day at Ascot confirms she has absolutely no dress sense.

Anything else or just a smile and a sombrero?

Interesting debate. My good lady and I have sailed on P and O, Cunard, RCL and Azamara. As you would expect Cunard was more formal than anyone else, Dress codes On P and O and RCL were virtually identical and Azamara was very relaxed. As we actually like the formal side of things (and spend a lot of money on it for each cruise!!) Azamara is off our list for any future cruises as is RCL so it's Cunard and P and O from now on!! On Britannia in July, cant wait!! :D