Chikungunya Virus in the Caribbean

mactire

We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam for two weeks from Jan 25th and the nurse who advises us on travel shots has made us aware of the Chikungunya virus which she says appears to be quite common in the Caribbean. Has anyone any first hand information on this beasty?

Roll on the 25th.

It has been reported a number of times on these boards. It is a nasty disease spread by mosquitos. There have been reported cases in St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, Florida and many other locals. Last week I read Lindsey Lohan contracted it while in French Polynesia.

Uses insect repellent with Deet if you are concerned.

You may wish to google. You'll find much information,,,, probably more than you want or need. :D

Edited by sail7seas

It has been in the Caribbean for quite a while but came to more prominent notice lately when Lindsay Lohan claimed it was the reason for her erratic behavior in Mexico and I make no further comment on that.....

Thank you for that............:D

We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam for two weeks from Jan 25th and the nurse who advises us on travel shots has made us aware of the Chikungunya virus which she says appears to be quite common in the Caribbean. Has anyone any first hand information on this beasty?

Roll on the 25th.

Yes, I got it last year in Fiji while on the Oosterdam, it's caused by a daytime mosquito, aka the tiger mosquito, and it ain't fun...

Yes, I got it last year in Fiji while on the Oosterdam, it's caused by a daytime mosquito, aka the tiger mosquito, and it ain't fun...

Thanks for sharing about this with us.

Do you mind if I ask how long after the mosquito bit, did you have symptoms?

Was the ship's doctor the one who diagnosed you or someone else?

Thanks. Hope you made a full recovery.

It has been in the Caribbean for quite a while but came to more prominent notice lately when Lindsay Lohan claimed it was the reason for her erratic behavior in Mexico and I make no further comment on that.....

That poor mosquito. I wonder how it felt after biting her?

Unfortunately, this is one of the "new" mosquito born illnesses that there is no vaccine for as of yet. So, Deet and stay away from areas with mosquitos. Or just stand next to me and you will not get bit, I will. They have always loved me:( I understand that it's painful and long lasting. At least it doesn't appear to be as bad a Dengue fever or Yellow fever (there is a vaccine for Yellow).

Thanks for sharing about this with us.

Do you mind if I ask how long after the mosquito bit, did you have symptoms?

Was the ship's doctor the one who diagnosed you or someone else?

Thanks. Hope you made a full recovery.

incubation is about 10 days, diagnosed at Stanford University, muscle pain (knees) lasted about 3 months, but it can last up to 1 year..All ok now, just got back from Fiji again (Amsterdam) no problems this time, Deet...