Questions about our planned 'walk' in Paris

itsanita

We will be arriving in Paris around 1030 am on a Saturday. We plan on going straight to our hotel, checking in or at least dropping off our luggage and then going for a 'walk'. After doing some research on these boards..here is what i have come up with and would like to know if the streets etc I choose are good ones, as it will give us our very first 'taste' of Paris. We have plans for the rest of our 4 days, but this day we just wanted to wander and soak up the city before we collapse from jet lag!! We will have a Paris Museum Pass. And will just stop along the way for a glass of wine and a light meal. Any and all suggestions/corrections/opinion are welcome!

I figure we will get started around 130-2 in the afternoon. Our hotel is Hotel Le Regent, a short walk from Saint Michel / Notre-Dame metro stops. From the hotel, go in direction of Notre-Dame. First stop, visit Sainte-Chapelle, on our Museum Pass.

Then walk towards Hotel de Ville, continue walking toward Centre G.Pompidou, short visit on our Museum Pass, visiting the top floor for view of Sacré Coeur, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Pantheon, and Conciergerie.

We will then walk up Rue montorgueil , then left on Poissonniere , changes to Ru Montmarte and go left back down ru Montmarte to Ru de Mail and walk past the Pl de Victories. Then left onto R.des Petitis Champs and quick left onto R de Valois by the Palais Royal.

Walk past the Palais Royal and then turn right onto R St Honore. Walk down R St Honore, pass the Palais de L’Evsee and then we could go one of two ways home.

1. walk towards the metro St Philippe du Roule stop. Get on toward Pont de Stevres and get off at Trocadero for our first view of the Efiell Tower. Walk towards Efiell Tower. And then walk home, along the Seine...lower level (not next to cars).

OR 2. take left off St Honore onto Avenue de Marigny, cross over the Champs Elysees toward the Grand Palais. Walk down R. Jean Goujon, then to New York street, to the "Port of Debilly" which I believe has a great view of the Eiffel tower. Then we would walk home along the Seine.

So what do you think?

What time of year are going? What time do you land and where are you flying from? Do you get to hotel at 10:30? this will affect your "walk" as you say because you have picked a long walk.If in the summer it will stay light into the evening and you will be fine if not it will get dark earlier and that could throw you off looking for street signs.I have wandered all over Paris going where I never thought I would etc. and I knew my way around more or less. It was fun sometimes. Anyway I digress.. if this is your first time in Paris I really suggest doing th HOHO bus and getting a feel for the city then going(or getting off where you really want to see someting) or just riding one of the loops.It is good to be out and about,but jet lag will kick in and you will want to be at your hotel.If you decide to walk you can use the metro or walk until you can't and grab a cab. Make sure to use the taxi's at the stands...someone can point one out if you don't see one. There is plenty to see around where you are staying just so you know. The city blocks are a lot longer than most people think so getting started in the afternoon could alloow you not a lot of time. Anyway,enjoy what you do,enjoy Paris,and your whole trip. Maybe someone will post with a clearer vision of what you want to do.

We will be arriving in Paris around 1030 am on a Saturday... then going for a 'walk'. ...We have plans for the rest of our 4 days, but this day we just wanted to wander and soak up the city before we collapse from jet lag!!

I think you've got the right idea when you plan on walking. Exposing yourself to as much sunlight as possible accelerates your body's time zone shift. And walking is a way to force yourself to stay awake. (I'd fall asleep during a HOHO bus ride on arrival day.)

However, I think your walking route is much too ambitious on an ordinary day much less on arrival day. Why not focus on a smaller area? Each of the three walks I've suggested below covers a much smaller area. Still, each is wonderfully representative of Paris and is much more in keeping with what I'm guessing is your likely arrival-day energy level.

Option one: Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle and the Conciergerie combined with a walk along the Seine

Option two: Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle, the Conciergerie and Ile St. Louis and Ile de Cite. (Ice cream at Berthillon on Ile St. Louis)

Option three: Walk in the Marais (the oldest part of Paris that still maintains the narrow streets of Medieval and Renaissance Paris ). It's the location of the Place des Vosges (the most beautiful square in Paris).

You've obviously studied maps of Paris since you're able to give us a street by street route back to your hotel, but I don't think you've taken into account the real distances and the way you're going to pause en route to admire and enjoy the experience.

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I was looking for.

We will be there in June, probably won't start walking till around 1-2. We do not want to do the HOHO this afternoon, as we would lose a good half of the day.

From what your saying, Paris is not as easy to 'walk' as I thought. I'll take a look at your 3 suggestions, and ease back a bit. I really want this time to be a casual stroll, without a lot of pressure. I'm sure the next few days will be busy ones, trying to see all we can in our short 4 days.

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I was looking for.

We will be there in June, probably won't start walking till around 1-2. We do not want to do the HOHO this afternoon, as we would lose a good half of the day.

From what your saying, Paris is not as easy to 'walk' as I thought. I'll take a look at your 3 suggestions, and ease back a bit. I really want this time to be a casual stroll, without a lot of pressure. I'm sure the next few days will be busy ones, trying to see all we can in our short 4 days.

You really cannot see it all in 4 days...make plans to go back and at least stay a week and then do some side trips etc. and then plan on going back again...:)

From what your saying, Paris is not as easy to 'walk' as I thought.

Just to clarify...

Paris is a great walking city! Haussmann's renovation of Paris after the first French Revolution created wide boulevards with broad sidewalks. The narrow streets and tiny, tucked-away courtyards of the Marais are also easy walking since many are pedestrianized. Even the sights along even some ordinary streets are delightful. For example, walk along the outer perimeter of the Sorbonne and you'll see an observatory built on top of one of the original structures. Then, think about what that would have meant in terms of the darkness of the city in the days when the observatory was built! Walk along the Place d'Aligre to see the most active food market in Paris.

But the point isn't really how many miles can you log each day but how many miles and how many destinations you want to see each day. How thoroughly will you want to see each destination so that you come home satisfied with your experience VS feeling that whole trip was a blur?

If you've read any of the European Ports of Call boards, you know the answer varies for each poster! I'm a less-is-more visitor, but there are plenty of more-is-more posters. However, there are some practical considerations. In June, the crowds will be substantial. Even if you're a more-is-more traveler, I doubt you'll want to wait in line for 30+ minutes to enter Sainte Chappelle and, then, leave after 10 minutes in the upper chapel. (FWIW, plan to visit Sainte Chappelle on a sunny day and bring small binocular or opera glasses for maximum enjoyment.)

Happy Planning and planning to come back!

You will be jet-lagged and dead on your feet after all that walking. Follow Pet Nit Noy's Option 1 or 2 and finish with a boat tour from the Pont-Neuf (Vedettes du Pont-Neuf). That is a great, relaxing way to see Paris and get over jetlag.

You will be jet-lagged and dead on your feet after all that walking. Follow Pet Nit Noy's Option 1 or 2 and finish with a boat tour from the Pont-Neuf (Vedettes du Pont-Neuf). That is a great, relaxing way to see Paris and get over jetlag.

You are so right! But we are usually able to sleep on the plane, so that will help a bit. We have managed to stay up till 7-8 pm (1-2 am our time) in the past. We find taking walks, and just a light meal that first day really helps us. And I agree that either of those options look good!

We planed this trip last yr, and now its starting to get close...so the excitment is starting to build. I love the planning almost as much as our trips! After our 4 days in Paris, we will spend an additional 4 days in London, then on to Southamptom for our 2 week cruise. All stops/cities/ports will be new to us this trip.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

This sounds like a good idea to me. I would do the walk #2 and then this boat trip.I have seen the lines to get ice cream 2 blocks long and although it is "the thing to do" I am just not sure it is worth standing in line that long to get it.We had traveled in Italy the year before we were in Paris and had some fantastic Gelato in Rome.

This sounds like a good idea to me. I would do the walk #2 and then this boat trip.I have seen the lines to get ice cream 2 blocks long and although it is "the thing to do" I am just not sure it is worth standing in line that long to get it.We had traveled in Italy the year before we were in Paris and had some fantastic Gelato in Rome.

We actually stayed on Ile St. Louis on our first visit to Paris. I totally love ice cream, and was really looking forward to Berthillion, having read so much about it. With the caveat that all food is subjective, I found it very disappointing (besides being absurdly overpriced). Definitely would not stand on line for it. A hugely wonderful surprise was the gelateria about a block away (wish I could recall the name, it might have been Amorino but I'm not sure) -- that was terrific gelato; it compared favorably to what we've had in Italy, and it beat everything we had at Berthillion. It became our "go to" place each evening.

OP: you've gotten good advice on here about not going too crazy on your arrival day in terms of walking.

Have a wonderful trip!

I vote for the Marais, a wonderful place to wander around with charming shops, cafes and interesting museums, esp the Picasso. And I also love the Place Des Vosges. But expect much more security in that area due to the recent terrorist attacks in Paris. I waited in line last May for an hour to get into Sainte Chapelle so I don't think you would want to do that on your first day. Also lines to enter Notre Dame are around the block if you want to climb up.

Paris is my favorite city. I have been there more than 15 times over the years, and have found that I always get distracted when setting out and end up in a wonderful place I had never even thought of going to. The joy of Paris is not rushing around from one tourist attraction to another, but just taking time to see what you can on a leisurely pace and plan to return for a longer visit. At least, that is my opinion. :)

Four days will not be nearly sufficient so you will have to return anyway, so might as well not wear yourself out and miss the joy de vivre of Paris, the best part. In all the times I have visited, there are still many things I have not seen so don't be so structured in your approach and see what you can without stressing out over a schedule.

At the time of year you are going, it will be very crowded at the main tourist attractions, so I suggest tickets in advance, particularly for the Eiffel Tower. That way you wont be wasting alot of time in lines.

Please, do yourself a favor. Make absolutely no plans for the day you get there. You're going to crash likely by 7 pm. I laughed at people who told me this but there's photos of me at 6:30 I can't even remember half near my dish face planting! Someone with me fell asleep at the table. You'll appreciate it much more if you do leisure the first day and wake up hitting the ground running touring day two.

Please, do yourself a favor. Make absolutely no plans for the day you get there. You're going to crash likely by 7 pm. I laughed at people who told me this but there's photos of me at 6:30 I can't even remember half near my dish face planting! Someone with me fell asleep at the table. You'll appreciate it much more if you do leisure the first day and wake up hitting the ground running touring day two.

Being in sunlight is one of the best ways to re-set your body clock in a new time zone. The OP has sensibly abandoned plans for a massive trek throughout all Paris on arrival day. The OP's current plan to take a scaled back leisurely stroll outdoors is a great idea.