Stressing over nothing?

Queenofmycastle

My husband thinks I am being a worry wart, but I wonder. We are cruising on July 4th out of Fort Lauderdale. We are flying in a few days early to Orlando to enjoy some of the amusement parks with our kids. He thinks we are fine driving on July the 4th from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale if we leave at 8:00 A.M. I would much prefer to drive to Fort Lauderdale the afternoon before on the 3rd.

I am worried about traffic but we don't live in Florida so maybe the traffic won't be that bad on the 4th and I don't have a clue what I am talking about? I don't know if Friday the 3rd will be a statutory holiday so many people will get a head start on getting to there weekend destinations? Is he right? Should we be okay to drive down to Fort Lauderdale from Orlando the day of the cruise on July the 4th if we leave at 8:00? We will be taking the car rental to the airport and taking a cab to the pier. The ship departs at 4:30.

Thank-you in advance for any advice.

We live in Orlando, & drive to the Ft. Lauderdale a few times a year. In my opinion, if you take the Florida Turnpike, which travels away from the beaches, you can make it in about three and a half hours, including holidays.As opposed to taking 95 all the way. Now, if there's an accident, all bets are off. If you listen to radio station 96.5, they have traffic reports quite often

I agree with virtually everything ... leaving at 8 should be fine

but I like a fat cushion so like BH I'd probably leave closer to 6 or 7 . . . just in case.

and since you appear new to cruise with 10 posts ... the ship departs at 4:30 but boarding will close well b4 that time, typically 90 minutes b4, sometimes more .... NO EXCEPTIONS (well almost no exceptions). I'd be working my plan to be in the terminal no later than 1pm . . . but as I said, I like cushions

I don't think you're gonna see significant traffic (by Lauderdale standards) on a Saturday morning even on the 4th. I live near Cocoa Beach which is where most of the Orlando surfers come and unless there is a significant accident to screw things up, the traffic is nothing like say the Jersey Shore . . .

In both 2013 and 2014 we spent a few days in Orlando before boarding transatlantic cruises departing from Ft. Lauderdale. In both cases we drove down the day before embarkation. In both cases we stayed at Ft. Lauderdale hotels where a number of other folks from the Cruise Critic roll call were also staying. We were able to meet for dinner and had a lovely time meeting some of the folks on the roll call before the Celebrity Connections party on ship. So while I agree that leaving Orlando early the day of embarkation is doable there may be other considerations. And who wants to be rushed on embarkation day.

We have always preferred to arrive at the port city, the day before. Living in Calif and being 2 1/2 hrs away from San Diego or San Pedro we still drove in the afternoon before. I would worry about traffic delays so coming in the day before, then I can relax knowing we are there. Not living in FL and not familiar with traffic I would rely on those who know the area.

Edited by Desert Cruizers