Opinions on my "budget" Alaska Excursion itinerary w/ entertainment coupon book

jayally1968

I am exploring the excursion options for our RCCL cruise 5/29 - 6/5 and thought I would share my plans so far to get some feedback. I am doing this kind of last minute so I don't have lots of money for extras and there's lots of stuff I want to do but it is so expensive. Is there something we MUST do or anything to skip or have I missed a hidden gem? I am trying to do this cheaply while still doing some things that we may not ever get to do again. If you have anything you think would be better or know of a special deal please let me know.

I ordered the Entertainment northern lights coupon book on Barnes and noble.com for $47 + 15% off with this coupon E4B8B7J and free shipping for a total of $43. The tourbook website is $55 + $7.50 shipping. There is a coupon for the tramway to save $33 and buy one get one for the seward bus to save $60 so I am already ahead.

Ketchikan - Duck boat tour $40 pp online at gdyn.akduck.com. I would love to do more stuff but it's so expensive and this seems like a nice compromise for a land/sea tour.

Juneau - RCCL tour of Menenhall Glacier & Salmon bake at Gold creek salmon bake. $85 pp. I think there is a coupon for buy 1 salmon bake for $36 and get 1 free and might do that and take the blue shuttle bus for $20 R/T (I think) but I will wait until I get the coupon book to read the fine print. Any tips on Mendenhall Glacier?

Juneau - Mount Roberts Tramway - Buy one for $33 and get 1 free coupon.

Skagway - White pass summit excursion - It is $119 PP on the white pass website booked online or $125 from RCCL. I read RCCL offers a shuttle for the extra money. Is this true? How far is the station from the ship? Is it better to book through the ship?

Seward - Since we have so long before the trip back to Anchorage I wanted to do something. There is a 4 1/2 hr cruise with Kenai Fjords to resurrection Bay leaving at 12pm and includes lunch for $99 pp. There may be a coupon for this but online it does not look like it is valid on 6/5.

Seward - Motor-coach to Anchorage. I would rather take the train but unsure if there are discounts since the one I read said not valid on Fri, Sat & Sun. akcruiseshuttle.com has a coupon for buy one full fare at $60 and get 1 free. They have a web special of $38 pp right now. The Alaska RR is $89 pp for adventure class. If I could get a buy 1 get 1 free we would do the train for the experience but not sure it is is worth more than double the fare.

On the cruise we will get at least one soda package for $45.50 since I don't do coffee. We don't gamble, like spa treatments or drink very much so all of our money is for excursions and souvenirs.

Total possible excursion costs for 2 people:

$80 duck

$170 glacier and salmon

$33 tramway

$238 white pass

$218.86 Resurrection

$60 bus

= $799.86

Edited by jayally1968

Some thoughts...

• Are you departing from Vancouver? Which hotel are you staying at? There might be significant savings looking for accommodations away from the cruise terminal.
  • Does RCL have photo packages? Are you signing up for them? Photo's are my weakness.
  • Are you going to need internet access? Compare the cost of a prepaid ATT sim to the ship internet or roaming charge on your phone. Do you have Telus? They have coverage for the ship around Vancouver Island and Prince Rupert.
  • Ouch... many entertainment books were $20 on Black Friday/Boxing Day with free shipping.
  • Does your budget include sightseeing activities at your starting and ending ports? Vancouver/Seattle are much bigger than Alaska ports combined.
  • Instead of a White Pass submit return, you might want to look for a motor coach combo that transfers at Fraser, BC. Tormented valley is beautiful just beyond the summit.

Edited by xlxo

You could cut the Skagway excursion in half by renting a car instead. I just reserved with Avis for $105 for an economy car. We are going to drive to Emerald Lake. There are many threads here with details about driving vs train/bus tours.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

We were on the same itinerary a couple years ago and the highlight of our cruise was a tour to Tracy Arm via Adventure Bound (private tour). Not all cruise ships docking in Juneau have the time to do this tour (you need at least 10 hours), but looks like you are there from 7am - 8:30pm (same as us). It may stretch your budget, but IMHO, if you can swing it, it is totally worth it! In my signature below, you can see my cruise pictures. Most of the wildlife and glacier photos came from Tracy Arm.

Do a search in Google for Adventure Bound Tracy Arm to get to their site.

I also recommend the rental car route in Skagway. I like the freedom of exploring the Yukon on my own, Im not a fan of being stuffed in a train.

Either way, your trip looks amazing!

You all have inspired me to do a road trip on my future Skagway visit to go beyond Fraser and Carcross on my previous trips....

Here's a previous thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=583511

It is a significant drive on a canyon road (144miles/4.5 hours non-stop return)... just remember "white you are right, if you are red you are dead". Also need to budget time for the border crossing. It can be very busy with a cruise ship dump.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=avis+near+Skagway,+AK,+United+States&daddr=Emerald+Lake,+Whitehorse,+Unorganized,+YT,+Canada&hl=en&sll=59.85975,-134.937205&sspn=1.151562,3.249207&geocode=FW0wiwMdXUHv9yE4SM6NqRvTuilfoTxv2KiqVjE4SM6NqRvTug%3BFQ-XlwMdGuX39ymvtuEQ9ghVUTGqDExqs9Gnxw&oq=avis,+Skagway,+AK,+United+States&t=h&mra=ls&z=9

Ideally the party should split up where half drive while the other half ride the train up and then switch where half the party drives back and the other trains back. Not sure how the car/train reservations would work out.

Edited by xlxo

Some thoughts...

• Are you departing from Vancouver? Which hotel are you staying at? There might be significant savings looking for accommodations away from the cruise terminal.
  • Does RCL have photo packages? Are you signing up for them? Photo's are my weakness.
  • Are you going to need internet access? Compare the cost of a prepaid ATT sim to the ship internet or roaming charge on your phone. Do you have Telus? They have coverage for the ship around Vancouver Island and Prince Rupert.
  • Ouch... many entertainment books were $20 on Black Friday/Boxing Day with free shipping.
  • Does your budget include sightseeing activities at your starting and ending ports? Vancouver/Seattle are much bigger than Alaska ports combined.
  • Instead of a White Pass submit return, you might want to look for a motor coach combo that transfers at Fraser, BC. Tormented valley is beautiful just beyond the summit.

We are flying in the day of the cruise and arrive around 11:22am into Vancouver and will take the subway to Canada place. We have never purchased the cruise photos and tend to avoid the photographers so I don't think that is a big deal for us. I have Verizon with unlimited data and live in the US so I am sure I will have internet for most of the time we are in Alaska but if not, I can live without paying huge prices for on-board internet.

I wish I had planned this trip sooner when there were better deals but this was booked kind of last minute in terms of cruise bookings. I am happy I found the entertainment book at a discount although not as good as the black Friday deal, the one I ordered is the 2015 version.

The white pass train trip is highly recommended but I would like to consider the motorcoach ride back and will have to look into this a little more.

I have planned on doing the resurrection bay cruise with buffet lunch on the seward day before our trip back to anchorage. I am still considering the train back to Anchorage over the bus but the bus is a time saver and pocket saver. I worry a little about missing our flight if we take the train. We are taking the red eye flight that leaves at 12:55am back home on 6/6 because there are not any better options.

I'm not sure what you're looking for:

- do you want to know if there are cheaper options at each port? Definitely.

ie in Ketchikan take the town bus out to Totem Bight for $1-$2 where you can wander around the totems and along the shore. In town, pick up free maps at the visitor centers and take a self guided walking tour to include Creek Street, Married Mans Trail. http://www.experienceketchikan.com/index.html

- do you want to know what we think of your choices? As long as they're want you want to do, that's all that matters. You've chosen popular options, not unknowns so you'll be fine

I've done the Bay tour in Seward and it's ok. I did it twice; not by choice, but because the longer tour was shortened due to foul weather. We saw a few mountain goats, bald eagles, eagle nest, sealions, otters, puffins and lots of other birds. The vendor will hold onto your luggage which is a plus.

The Anc airport is very busy at midnight so you definitely want to be there 2 hrs prior to departure.

I'm not sure what you're looking for:

- do you want to know if there are cheaper options at each port? Definitely.

ie in Ketchikan take the town bus out to Totem Bight for $1-$2 where you can wander around the totems and along the shore. In town, pick up free maps at the visitor centers and take a self guided walking tour to include Creek Street, Married Mans Trail. http://www.experienceketchikan.com/index.html

- do you want to know what we think of your choices? As long as they're want you want to do, that's all that matters. You've chosen popular options, not unknowns so you'll be fine

I've done the Bay tour in Seward and it's ok. I did it twice; not by choice, but because the longer tour was shortened due to foul weather. We saw a few mountain goats, bald eagles, eagle nest, sealions, otters, puffins and lots of other birds. The vendor will hold onto your luggage which is a plus.

The Anc airport is very busy at midnight so you definitely want to be there 2 hrs prior to departure.

Thanks for the tip on the airport, I see many flights leaving around midnight. I am not a fan of a red-eye flight and it is 4 1/2 hours with another 1 1/2 hour connecting flight so hopefully the first flight will give enough time for a cat nap. I think the bus might be a better option for several reasons although the train would be more fun. We would need a taxi from the train station in anchorage to the airport so there is another $25.

I had not thought about storing luggage for the boat tour in Seward! There is so much information out there it can be hard to narrow it down and without thinking carefully we could easily spend double what we are already spending! I am a planner so I will print off as many maps and guides as I can.

How long are you in Ketchikan? If you have a couple of spare hours before or after the Duck Tour, the self-guided walking tour is great. You will see some totems on the walking tour. The Totem Heritage Center ($5/person when I was last there, IIRC) is awesome, IMHO. Old totem poles rescued and displayed in "as is" condition. I make it a point to go there every time I am in Ketchikan.

We are flying in the day of the cruise and arrive around 11:22am into Vancouver and will take the subway to Canada place.

Hmm... I think you are cutting it close... hopefully there is no flight or luggage delays for you... otherwise you can find budget airport hotels for about $125 if you are willing to arrive a day earlier.

• 11:22 arrival
  • 12pm to leave plane and collect luggage
  • 12:10 to board Canada Line
  • 12:50 at cruise terminal....

I recommend a taxi...

I have Verizon with unlimited data and live in the US so I am sure I will have internet for most of the time we are in Alaska but if not, I can live without paying huge prices for on-board internet.

I see Verizon has published a coverage map.... I can't see Skagway mentioned... In my trips... a $60 prepaid ATT SIM worked great!

https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/eCatalogs/Alaska-Maps-Voice-Data-Final.pdf

You are lucky that you are a Canadian - no customs at the VAN airport :)

Don't cut your embarkation close as you will have to go through US customs prior to boarding.

Ketchikan - best bet is to walk the town - Creek Street, married mans walk etc, a quick bus ride to Totem Bite. Other things to do that are more $$ is to take a floatplane ride into Misty Fjords. The other hot item there is the Crab Fisherman's tour - probably better than the duck - could also be a coupon in your book. Book it on their website - much cheaper than the cruise line.

Skagway - the Train backs onto the pier for the cruise ship excursions - if you buy through the RR you have to walk a few blocks to the Depot. If you are going to take the train take the Bennett Scenic Journey - longer train ride but you get to see Bennett (only access is by train) The bus ride back is the same trip you would get otherwise - including Emerald Lake - use Chilkoot Tours for the best buy and trip :D. The car is a cheaper option and would allow you to have the most freedom when touring - get a Murray's guide so you know what you are looking at.

Juneau - A good place to watch whales - or see gold mines. The tram tour is nice if the weather in good - the ticket is good all day. I also second the small boat tour of Tracy Arm - the Adventure Bound boat leaves around 8:00 if I remember right so you can do this only if your ship arrives early AM.

I presume that your next stop from Skagway is Hubbard Glacier - all well and good - sometimes you get close - sometimes fog and ice keeps the ships at bay.

I have not been to Seward so I have no advise there.

I was going to ask the same thing?! I looked at Barnes and Noble online and didn't find anything. We will be at some of the same ports in September. Thank you!

Hey now I got a question, where or how does one go about getting these coupons?

Hmm... doing a google... the book may be exclusive to the Anchorage store...

http://www.alaska-discounts.com/retail-outlets/#post-457

I apologize to jayallay... when I quoted you the low prices of the Entertainment book, I was referring to the main Entertainment books found at https://www.entertainment.com. There is no coupons from this book for Alaska.

These appear to be different competitors.

Edited by xlxo